Returning Home

• 70 replies

Vegemite

Re: Returning Home
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2007, 04:35:11 PM »
With the China Post boxes, do you have to take all your junk to the post office or can you take a box home, pack it there and then take it back to the Post Office?

I'm not having much luck getting a quote from SevenSeas, their website gave a generic quote from China to NZ for 1,215RMB but their list of cities in China that they deal with doesn't include Hailaer and I've had no response to my emails to them.

Newbs

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2007, 08:40:29 PM »
No, I took mine in a suitcase or two to the China Post Office, (I think only certain POs offer this service, by the way) and took everything out of the suitcase and packed it into the boxes, on the floor in the middle of the public area.  Don't know if I had to pack it at the PO, but doing it that way sure as hell brightened up the day for a few of the local homeys. uuuuuuuuuu

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2007, 09:11:45 PM »
China Post wants to see everything you are shipping.  Wrapping things in old newspaper is a NO-NO.  Sending some things is also a no no.

If you pack the boxes at home you will have to unpack them there and then repack them. asasasasas
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2007, 10:44:58 PM »
I can attest to this one too.... I had carefully packed a box of goodies to send home, took it to the post office and was informed that it must be unpacked so that it could be inspected. They went through everything. Then we had to re-pack it there at the office. This was in Nenjiang. I haven't as yet tried to send anything from Shuangyashan but I'm guessing it will be the same process.

Time consuming, yes. But relatively hassle free.

Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

phets72

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2007, 04:52:15 PM »
This is pretty standard - so be prepared!

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2007, 02:52:36 AM »
I went to find out about the prices for sending parcels and was told to bring the box OPENED.
There are actually 2 prices: one for slow post and another one for faster. You can ask them either. The slow one to India, per se, takes 2-3 months. The fast one - 2-3 weeks. But also costs 3-4 times more.

Vegemite

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2007, 02:27:43 AM »
The slow one to NZ costs 480RMB and takes about two months, the fast one costs 2100RMB - you can guess which option I'll take.

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2007, 03:51:49 AM »
Eeek! That's quite a jump in price.
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2007, 07:47:16 AM »
The slow one to NZ costs 480RMB and takes about two months, the fast one costs 2100RMB - you can guess which option I'll take.

the fast one because it's all about immediate gratification  agagagagag agagagagag afafafafaf
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Vegemite

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2007, 03:29:07 PM »
Long and slow's better agagagagag agagagagag afafafafaf

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2007, 12:36:44 AM »
all a matter of opinion Vege  ;D

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2007, 01:25:50 AM »
I've read science fiction books in which once you spent so much time in space, your bones and muscles would alter permanently and you could never return to Earth and live.

I kind of wonder if I've gotten something like that with China.

I suspect we all have to some extent.

There was a study years back on alcoholism among university staff in the US. It varied considerably by discipline, and anthropologists led the pack; more likely to be problem drinkers than anyone else. The researchers thought it was the reverse culture shock on returning, seeing your own culture through different eyes. I've certainly had some of that on various trips home.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2007, 03:38:34 AM »

There was a study years back on alcoholism among university staff in the US. It varied considerably by discipline, and anthropologists led the pack; more likely to be problem drinkers than anyone else. The researchers thought it was the reverse culture shock on returning, seeing your own culture through different eyes. I've certainly had some of that on various trips home.

Naw, I studied Anthropology in Uni. We were all drunks well before we ever learned anything. You also don't need to remember anything because the theories change every year or so. By the time you finish your thesis it's all wrong, so you drink some more.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2007, 04:49:55 AM »
Anthropologists become alcoholics because when they head off to the wilds to study a culture, they need to fit in - so they learn to drink baijiu (I'm an anthropologist!) or the local equivalent.  When they return to their own countries they now need that hit to keep functioning.

It's an occupational hazard.

Vegemite

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2007, 05:02:54 AM »
I studied Anthropology in Uni. We were all drunks well before we ever learned anything. You also don't need to remember anything because the theories change every year or so. By the time you finish your thesis it's all wrong, so you drink some more.

I also was a drunken anthropology student - and now I'm a teacher. I remember some study in NZ that said one of the highest at risk professions in our fair country was teaching. So I get double whammy...

I'll report carefully on reverse culture-shock when I return to NZ. Daughter is getting more and more worried about returning, she doesn't know what she wants to do. Me, I've adjusted myself to the thought of working long hours again for less income. And also not being able to afford much alcohol - now that will take a lot of adapting too. I'm spoilt up here, cheap Hailaer beer, 2kuai hip flasks of vodka, 10kuai for a full-sized bottle...and 8kaui for a bottle of fermented horse milk. What will I do when I return to NZ????