Beware of Tian He College in Guangzhou Guangdong province

• 2 replies
Beware of Tian He College in Guangzhou Guangdong province
« on: September 14, 2012, 09:30:26 AM »
Hey Everyone
I am a teacher who has just arrived in China for a year and wanted to let everyone know about a situation with a school in Guangzhou, Guandong province.
The school's name is Tian He College, but it’s not in Tian he, they just want people to think it is. Tian he being the nicest part of Guangzhou. NOT where the school is located. The school is 22 miles away from the real Tian he with no bus service or way to reach the city with out traveling 2 to 3 hours using public transportation.
They tried to get me to sign the contract before I visited the school and now I know why. Most foreigners would never work there. 
When I met them to be taken to the school they took me on a 1 hour car ride up a long mountain road to Tai he /Mao Feng Shan. The school is next to the largest trash dump in Guangdong province.  You could smell the waste the moment you got out of the car. 
I was ready to go back at that point but its so far away I didn’t see any taxis or public transportation so I had to listen, I was trapped. They brought me to the Deans office, she was an old woman who spoke horrible English who proceeded to talk with me about giving a demonstration for her and some other teachers. I told her that I wanted to go back to the city that I was not impressed with the school or location.  She told me that she had the contract I requested and I told her I was not interested but to be nice I looked at it to kill some time while she spoke in Chinese to the other teachers there.
After reading the first page I could tell this school was a total scam, nothing we had agreed on in our emails was in this contract
They told me 16 hours a week, the contract said 20+ English corner
They told me 18 weeks, the contract said 20
They told me Holiday pay, the contract said no holiday pay or return flight pay, which was also promised
Please everyone be aware of this school and its administrators.  I did notice there were a foreign teacher there but they tried to hustle me away from him.  It was clear something was not right here and one of the foreigners, a younger guy, came up and talked with me and asked if I was going to teach at the school.  I told him no and he said that he had been there stranded for 2 weeks and could not wait to get out.
He also mentioned that the living conditions were like camping, rats and roaches everywhere. no hot water no washing machine in room and his A/C was broken
Hope this review helps anyone thinking about teaching there
Their website is http://www.thxy.cn/  hope this helps let everyone know who these people are and what they are up to…………..

Steve

BrandeX

Re: Beware of Tian He College in Guangzhou Guangdong province
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 06:53:50 PM »
That's not their real name I think, it's actually a branch, or perhaps "satellite" school of Guangdong Polytechnic Normal University. The "real" main campus IS actually Tian He.

They are in Baiyun district which is way out of town, near the airport.
The salary, 5000 for the "main campus" in the one ad I found not sure about the satellite), is less than half of what I get here in Guangzhou doing a similar amount of work per week (downtown).

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: Beware of Tian He College in Guangzhou Guangdong province
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 02:49:40 PM »
Thanks for verifying, BrandeX...5000 is not much in Greater Guangzhou.

Otherwise, I really hate it when people post a school review as their one and only post, then disappear. It makes me distrust the review and see it as the possible product of either a personal vendetta or a promotional scheme. asasasasas
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)