Apple idiot needs help

• 40 replies
Apple idiot needs help
« on: December 30, 2007, 07:05:08 AM »
I finally bought a genuine AC adaptor cord for my iBook.  Then the salesdude reloaded the OS and changed my username and password.

Now the setup claims I don't have Airport installed.  If you lift the keyboard, there it is in plain view.

Why would this be?  Why suddenly can't it recognize the wireless modem?
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: Apple idiot needs help
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 12:10:04 AM »
Smoke signal say: Kimosabe buy real computer! ahahahahah
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 03:13:39 AM »
If I'd known how long these troubles would last, I would have.  I just paid 790 kwai for an AC adaptor cord, and I STILL can't get online.  llllllllll

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 04:10:17 AM »

could be that the card was dis-lodged somehow.. pull it out and put it back in!

it should be detected right away.
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 04:16:21 AM »
 bibibibibi Obvious.  I titled this thread well.  I'll do just that tonight when I get home...

englishmoose.com

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 12:30:20 AM »
It worked! axaxaxaxax I gotta get my laptop to a wireless bar ASAP.

Naw, tomorrow.  Too many places are closed today, and I'm too hung over to run around.

Now how can I get Word onto my system?

englishmoose.com

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 06:02:13 AM »
Now how can I get Word onto my system?
Why do you want it?

MS Office is available from Apple, for "only" $149 with a student & teachers' discount.
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=540836A6&fnode=home/shop_mac/software&nplm=T9188LL/A
Or $400, regular price.

No doubt someone here has it for the usual 6 RMB, but that's unethical, quality often sucks, and it would likely be hard to find.

There's a free alternative called Open Office that does more-or-less everything MS Office does, including read and write files in MS formats. I routinely use it, on a PC running Windows 2000. My documents print fine on the machine in my office, which has Word, and my slides display fine on the classroom machines which have Powerpoint. The only catch is that I have to remember to tell OO what format to save in; if I don't,it uses its own formats and Microsoft products cannot read those.

Free (huge) download for many systems including Mac: http://www.openoffice.org/
Link on Apple's site
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/unix_open_source/openofficeorg.html

Then there's NeoOffice, based on OO but with a more mac-ish interface
http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php
I've no experience with that, but it sounds good.

Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 06:35:53 AM »
Thanks, man.  I was shown a program called Parallel by the guy who sold me the adaptor cord, but he said my system was too puny to handle it.  Hope this Open Office will work.

englishmoose.com

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 03:44:38 PM »
Con, are you writing for yourself or do you intend to share M$ word documents with other folks?

If it's just writing on your own, may I suggest looking up "MELLEL " which is my favorite word processor of all times when I need to write something.

For office documents, you can always use google docs to open them and save as microsoft office format. Get Mellel and PM me your for serial.

Another option is apple's own iwork suite which can open MS office documents and is out of this world. Download the free trial and Pm me for the extra stuff

alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

old34

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 07:18:48 PM »
I, too just went Apple after 20 years of Microsoft (DOS 2.0-6.0; Windows 3.2-XP). Picked up a MacBook 2 weeks ago. I like it so far, but there IS a learning curve. I'm focused right now on just finishing up work on my classes on the MB and haven't gotten in to really porting everything over from my old HP.  I'm sure I'll be having lots of stoopid questions soon though...my point being....

There seem to be a fair amount of questions and discussions about various gadgets and devices here at the Saloon (i.e. computers, cameras, and phones, and Wiis) Why not set up a dedicated sub-board for Gadgets and Devices, similar to the sub-board on the Thorntree entitled, you guessed it, Computers, Cameras and Phones. I had to go back and search for awhile to find a post that nolefan had made which had 3 URLs listed for switching to OSX...finally found it under the heading of "Will it be life changing".

So how about it bosses? Let's assemble all the techie/geek stuff in one board where it's easier to find - maybe a sub-board under the Library.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 07:26:04 PM »
It's good idea.

old34

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 07:29:20 PM »
Oh, and con, about using alternatives to MS Office, I've been using the iWorks set which came with my MacBook. I've had no problem converting my Word Docs within the Pages program of iWorks, nor my many PowerPoints in the Keynote program (which is actually uch slicker than PowerPoint). Also the Numbers spreadsheet has seamlessly, more or less, converted my Excel gradebooks. The formats changed a bit, but no data (i.e. grades, student info, etc.) lost.

And the guy at the "authorized" Apple Shop near my home was kind enough to slip in a disk, punch some keys, and voila my trial version became a registered version. He did it for free (although I had just bought a DIV cord from him to connect the MacBook to the projectors in my classrooms).
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 11:58:17 PM »
Cool!  thanks, Maccabees, I'll get on this after work tonight.

englishmoose.com

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 04:29:34 AM »
iWorks would take 9 HOURS to download!  kkkkkkkkkk  What's MELLEL's downside?

englishmoose.com

icebear

• ????
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 04:31:40 AM »
I think he mentioned that it won't save into MS Office compatible formats, while iWork will. I think iWork is worth the wait, as it will basically cover all your bases in the future should you need to work with at Windows files (or send them to others). 9 hours is pretty long, but why not just leave it on overnight?