Introductions

• 1851 replies
Re: Introductions
« Reply #1125 on: June 18, 2010, 02:04:17 AM »
thanks for that George - sounds promising!

xwarrior

« Reply #1126 on: June 18, 2010, 05:32:33 AM »
The first place you come to!

George has it right. Taking your time shopping in a large supermarket improves the odds - the female (staff and customer) to male ratio will be working in your favour. 
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

harry_aus

• "woof!"
« Reply #1127 on: June 18, 2010, 06:03:22 AM »
Charles, welcome!

As for 'where you should be looking'....actually, it'll be them
looking to find you.....don't you worry!  

(And yes, the supermarkets (- even yer local Kedi or Quik!) are ideal. All you need to do is
to appear a little helpless and lost...think of nature, or biology!)  bfbfbfbfbf
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 06:49:06 AM by harry_aus »

« Reply #1128 on: June 19, 2010, 04:03:06 AM »
Thanks for that, all sounds very agreeable. 

Anybody know what Haidian is like?

« Reply #1129 on: June 19, 2010, 04:08:19 AM »
Was it 'Local Dialect' who works in Haidian?  I'd be interested in your perspective on Haidian?

« Reply #1130 on: June 19, 2010, 05:04:18 AM »
Yep, I work in Haidian.

It is a really big area, so it depends where you're going to be. Haidian is where pretty much all of the universities are, so there are a lot of students living here. There's an area called Wudaokou which is around Qinghua university and is very "young," with a lot of cafes, bars, foreign food places, people selling stuff on the street, etc. Haidian is pretty central and it is fairly easy to get to other districts like Dongcheng and Chaoyang where there's also stuff happening. Haidian is also home of Zhongguancun, which is Beijing's technology corridor, where you have Google headquarters, Microsoft, all sorts of computer/IT stuff going on. 

I live between the West 3rd 4th ring roads in a fairly boring little corner of Haidian. I guess it is a decent place for us since I have 2 kids. We used to live near wudaokou and it had just a bit too much of a college town vibe, which made me feel old! The only complaint I have about the neighborhood is that transportation is not that convenient as there are no subway stops nearby and busses in Beijing are really slow. But that's just my neighborhood, Haidian is frickin huge.

« Reply #1131 on: June 21, 2010, 11:10:28 PM »
Thanks for that TLD.  I'm going to be based near Renmin University (I'm teaching at the RDFZ school attached to the uni) and I believe there's a line 4 subway stop there (hope so!)

I don't think though until I arrive that I'll have any idea of the scale of the place!

By the way, as you may have seen from my pic, I'm knocking on a little (on the outside at least!) so the uni scene won't be my thing either.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #1132 on: June 27, 2010, 01:31:28 AM »
(I'm teaching at the RDFZ school attached to the uni)

Ah, yes...the prestigious Raoul Duke-Frank Zappa Experimental School! bfbfbfbfbf
Congrats on landing such a plum job...and welcome to The Saloon... agagagagag
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #1133 on: June 27, 2010, 09:10:44 AM »
Many thanks for that RD and look forward to meeting people soon.

Tuco

• Let me go and I'll pardon you.
« Reply #1134 on: July 12, 2010, 02:29:40 PM »
Hi all! Thanks Raoul for emailing me recently and getting me back in.

I'm David. Disenchanted laowai from chicago. Still in Beijing for 7 years now.

I remember many years ago that I came here but then I recall it suddenly disappeared.
What the saloon taken down before?

maybe some big brother issue? nevermind that! If I am mistaken please forgive me.

As stated, I have been in Beijing for 7 years now. The entire time I have been teaching.
I have tried other work(sales, marketing, proofreading, and even web work but I continue to deal with the task of daily classes.

China has changed much since I first arrived and so have I and you all too :)

Im glad to be back and I see Con is still here.

hahah

thanks for being part of the community and keeping this thing alive.

ESL-extra sexual language
When you have shoot, shoot, don't talk.

xwarrior

« Reply #1135 on: July 12, 2010, 04:23:57 PM »

ESL-extra sexual language

Welcome back .... another survivor in China!

from

ESL (Extra Sexual Laowai)  agagagagag

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

Ruth

« Reply #1136 on: July 12, 2010, 06:06:08 PM »
Welcome back, bjguitarist.  Barkeep, a round of our finest for our new old friend.  agagagagag Yeah, the Saloon 'disappeared' awhile back, but only in China.  You are correct about the Big Brother issues - but it wasn't us. You may notice that this Saloon is version 3.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #1137 on: July 12, 2010, 07:32:11 PM »
Yep...the original was blocked in China, and as far as I know still is. We were caught up in a blanket blockage of nearly all of the millions of Proboards sites, and it wasn't our fault.
That's our story and we're stickin' with it. ahahahahah

Meanwhile, we've been adding lots of new members. agagagagag
All you guys are most warmly welcome, and we're really stoked to have you here with us! akakakakak bhbhbhbhbh
Just please...now that you're here, COME TALK TO US!  At least a little...

The Saloon is alive only as long as the conversation is...
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #1138 on: July 14, 2010, 05:02:52 PM »
Well guys, I'll be jumping on a plane and joining you in Chinaland on Saturday!! Spending a week in Shanghai, then off to Changchun to start work. Any tips on what I should spend my Shanghai week doing?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. - Mark Twain

« Reply #1139 on: July 14, 2010, 09:40:16 PM »
Start off with the touristy stuff: The Oriental Pearl Tower (after dark), the 88 Tower (in daylight), a walk along the Bund, the Expo (weekdays).  Add a wander around the French Concession: there's lots of funky little shops and pub/restaurants in that neck of the woods.

Like live underground music?  Try Logo bar: http://logoshanghai.net  Then try Yu Ying Tang- here's their Facebook page: www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6547571901

If you like dance bars there's a pretty slick one downtown- nuts, forgot the name.  I'll get back to you.

There's a terrific art gallery in the park around People's Szuare subway station.

As for shopping, I'd just wait for Changchun.  Prices in that neck of the woods are a fraction of Shanghai's.

BTW, if you care to pop down to Suzhou, it's a cheap, quick train ride, and there are certainly things to do here.  bfbfbfbfbf
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com