Introductions

• 1851 replies

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
Re: Introductions
« Reply #1830 on: January 11, 2016, 05:55:11 PM »
If you want to become a certified teacher in the States…

Find a gig in China at an "international school." There are all sorts of these, and without and MA or a teaching credential you probably can't get in to a really well paying one. But that's OK. Of the ones that offer you a position, find one that has certified teachers working at it. You can then do a teacher training program through the state of Florida and have your teaching in China observed by one of the certified teachers and thus counted as students teaching. This isn't too expensive (~$7k I think).

Then after you've got your teaching credential in hand, you can either go back to the US or just get on the international school circuit.

If you happened to study Economics or, basically, Anything But English, try to get a position teaching that subject so you can get a cert in something other than ESL/English. There are many fewer subject area teachers, and thus good jobs are easier to come by.

« Reply #1831 on: January 12, 2016, 03:12:44 PM »

Then after you've got your teaching credential in hand, you can either go back to the US or just get on the international school circuit.

That is the goal! Either I find a decent American teaching job, or given that the various political nutjobs in my country are spending great heaping amounts of their time trashing our education system, hello international schools!

If you happened to study Economics or, basically, Anything But English, try to get a position teaching that subject so you can get a cert in something other than ESL/English. There are many fewer subject area teachers, and thus good jobs are easier to come by.

Indeed. I studied Geography and History, ie, Social Studies, which of course is the most difficult subject area to be hired in America (and probably ISs, too). But, my real hope, and I guess this is considered odd by many people, is actually not to teach Secondary but Elementary. I actually like teaching kids, although not as much in ESL  aoaoaoaoao  so the idea of working with the upper elementary grades in an environment where they mostly speak decent English is very appealing at this point. Teaching MS or HS isn't something I'm that interested in. It's weird, too, as from what I can tell very few American graduate programs are set up to train 'second-career' EE teachers. The assumption seems to be that people who teach EE knew that in undergrad and got their B.Ed. back when they were 22, and anyone who comes to teaching later in life 'obviously' wants to deal with older kids (and/or martyr themselves in poor ghetto schools or dealing with the torment of Special Ed...or both...but don't get me started on that!). Not me. Besides, something like 85 or 90 percent of EE teachers are female, and I think there needs to be a better gender balance there. Kids need to see guys in their classrooms, too.

For sure planning on an ESL/ELL endorsement, though. I would strongly recommend anyone going back to school do it, it's easy to get and it helps your resume stand out in immigrant-heavy communities. 

« Reply #1832 on: May 21, 2016, 11:52:48 AM »
I am a 56 year old Texan, whose taught for 30 years. 27 for the large and disfunctional DallasISD.  I retire in June to lock in my pension and am hoping to be off to China in August as I am too young to quit working and have always wanted to do something like this.  I have pretty much seen and done it all in my career.  I hope my long career and knowledge sets will help me in China but am aware that it could also be a burden as China is no doubt different than Texas....
anywho I have taught middle, high school and adults. written curriculum, conducted inservice trainings etc.   The best years were when I taught sheltered Math (maybe because I wrote the curriculum and was given a lot of free range as back then the esl kids "didn't count" for tests etc...

I will talk shop with anyone as I love teaching and have enjoyed mentoring my younger colleagues.

feel free to chime in and guide this old dog who hopefully will be off for an adventure soon.

CWL

« Reply #1833 on: May 21, 2016, 07:59:16 PM »
Hi Frosty,

After you have been in China for a while, I would encourage you to reflect on the following:
I have pretty much seen and done it all in my career.
I am sure China will change that and this is coming from one fellow Texan teacher to another. 

Have fun!

AMonk

« Reply #1834 on: May 21, 2016, 10:53:51 PM »
Welcome to the Saloon, frosty agagagagag
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #1835 on: May 22, 2016, 01:03:52 AM »
Hi Frosty,

After you have been in China for a while, I would encourage you to reflect on the following:
I have pretty much seen and done it all in my career.
I am sure China will change that and this is coming from one fellow Texan teacher to another. 

Have fun!

I hope so after 30 years teaching
I need to shake things up and China should do that

« Reply #1836 on: May 22, 2016, 11:59:51 AM »
Welcome to the Saloon frosty! agagagagag I look forward to hearing about your adventures. bfbfbfbfbf I'm an Aussie with health issues, so I travel through you guys. Have fun mate! jjjjjjjjjj  bhbhbhbhbh  uuuuuuuuuu  agagagagag  :candyraver: :dancemj: afafafafaf bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #1837 on: June 20, 2016, 10:24:17 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm DongDong =D I'm not really good at introductions but here it goes, I'm from California and have been working in Shanghai for six (and a half) years. I am fluent in Mandarin and have relatives in Shanghai, but it still took quite some adjusting to settle in. Most of my friends are in Cali, a couple moved to HK and Taiwan, so keeping in touch is not the same as it used to be *sigh*. I came across the Saloon while searching for reviews of a tutoring center, and I'm very thankful for the info from the posts (definitely made a note of places to avoid). Everyone here seems so nice and funny and helpful! Anyhow, a big hello to all, if anyone needs any Shanghai related info (metro lines, general directions, etc) I can be of help =)

AMonk

« Reply #1838 on: June 21, 2016, 12:26:21 PM »
Welcome to the madhouse loony bin funny farm Saloon agagagagag agagagagag  Pull up a stool, and get comfy. 
Barkeep!  This round's on ... ME  ahahahahah
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #1839 on: June 21, 2016, 12:57:38 PM »
G'day and welcome to the Saloon dongdong. Am I correct in assuming that you are male? I look forward to hearing about your experiences in Shanghai or in California for that matter. Do you know any Aussies (Australians)? You may have read that I am an older Aussie lady who lives in Brisbane, so I can't contribute anything helpful about China. Have fun whatever you do! bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #1840 on: June 21, 2016, 11:43:00 PM »
Thanks AMonk xD  (btw the emoticons here are mesmerizing, i'm staring at one in particular and it's so distracting lol)

Hi Granny Mae, I'm female and no unfortunately I don't know any Aussie in person, although... a distant cousin of mine lives in Australia and I'm hoping to get invited  ababababab Kangaroo and koala are awesome! 

« Reply #1841 on: June 22, 2016, 12:41:03 PM »
dongdong, very few Aussies get to see Kangaroos or Koalas in the wild. I used to see them out on our sheep and cattle property in Western Queensland. Unfortunately, the Koalas are dying out. alalalalal

« Reply #1842 on: February 04, 2017, 11:36:22 AM »
Hello, I am new.

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #1843 on: February 06, 2017, 08:54:47 PM »
Hello, I am new.

Hi esl2017looking,

I'm old (but not as old as George).  ahahahahah

cruisemonkey
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

« Reply #1844 on: February 07, 2017, 01:11:55 PM »
Welcome esl2017looking. agagagagag Are you male or female?