Poll

How do you feel about using strong/vulgar language in Saloon posts?

Doesn't bother me; cuss all ya want
35 (71.4%)
I find it offensive and I'd rather not see it here
14 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Cussin' in da Saloon

• 73 replies

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Cussin' in da Saloon
« on: March 05, 2009, 09:33:44 PM »
I'm curious...I'd like to put some numbers on the Great Language Debate. How do you feel about this issue?
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

psd4fan

• 在哈尔滨黑龙江中国
    • WillExcel TESOL
Re: Cussin' in da Saloon
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 09:36:36 PM »
In sane and reasonable doses it's ok. Those who swear a lot prove their lack of ability in any language. Vulgarity is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 09:42:43 PM »
I can say bad words with the best of them - but only when I am extremely angry, upset or well over the limit.   jjjjjjjjjj :snoopytrage:

If I am calm enough or sober enough to write or read posts then the level of acceptability of swearing/obscenities hasn't been reached for me.  ahahahahah ahahahahah 

And if we have plenty of other ways to make our feelings known - why offend people who do object?

« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 11:24:11 PM by Lotus Eater »

George

• My view of China
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 09:46:39 PM »
The use of swearwords appropriately is OK, but it can be overdone!
Notice how restrained and refined my post is? ahahahahah
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 09:53:01 PM »
Peope curse all the time. In songs, on TV, on the street. It takes more than some so-called offensive words to get any indgignation out of me. Curse away, I for one am not bothered about it.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 09:59:38 PM »
cussin up a blue streak is one of my favourite pastimes, but there is a time and a place. Sometimes it can definately be overdone, but in general it does not bother me.

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 10:14:57 PM »
I'm a firm believer that there is no such thing as bad words, just intentions. I feel that sometimes swear words are the most suitable words for describing an emotion or situation, but i'm all for showing some respect.
The future's so bright i gotta wear shades

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 10:53:03 PM »
I can join in some pretty strong language when the occasion arises. I do try and keep my language under control, a personal point for me to grapple with. There is some language that I don't think should be ever used, but each to his/her own.

I think perhaps, as the boss mentioned, that if you are going to use swearing in a post to express yourself, warn the readers in the post topic, just a general curtesy to those who are bothered by it bfbfbfbfbf
Attitude counts for EVERYTHING

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 10:54:15 PM »
I can and have used swear words, however I find they can also be objectionable.  A little occasionally is ok but in small doses.  yidiar la de
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

DaDan

• Yeppers! We`be livin now!
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 11:22:36 PM »
I can find them offensive at times...
but I voted that it doesn't bother me.

thosem type words do tend to breed more though.

me pappy sayd... 
Once ya get past the smell... ...:P ... `You got it licked...

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 11:23:33 PM »
I don't object to it and do cuss like a sailor when appropriate... however I don't particularly endorse its gratuitous use! cussing for the sake of cussing seems pointless to me and takes away from the intensity of said cuss words when used appropriately.

alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 11:25:51 PM »

a 3rd option along the lines of "just like everything else, it's OK when not overdone" might win out.

alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

AMonk

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 11:29:07 PM »
If I were asked to vote....which we have been....I'd have to say that I can't, because I fall in the middle of the two choices offered.

I don't want to see it all the time.  But there are times/places/situations when it helps to express my emotions/lets me vent.

Remember wwwwwwwwww my signature is "Moderation...." ahahahahah
Moderation....in most things...

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 11:54:39 PM »
Vulgarity is the last refuge of the incompetent.

I disagree. Imposing linguistic cast systems is the last refuge of people who feel the need to dictate their morality on others by imposing limitations upon one's choice of language. Given the history behind how certain words became taboo there are two culprits:

The French

and

Religious fundamentalism.

If we are to dictate what is "obscene," based on the curmudgeons then we might as well don Burkas and take off our shoes before we are labeled infidels and promptly "dealt" with.

Living in a nation where I have witnessed the value of freedom of speech by the absence of great portions of it: there are simple things people can do without imposing their morality on others via proxy censorship: ignore and move along.

This isn't exactly a public place like a park, so there is an owner and a set of rules, but I have yet to see this forum degenerate into an abyss of little more than colorful metaphors that get certain sectors of the place's panties in knots. I emphasize the word panties. It's a hunch.

The reason why I like the saloon and find myself rarely glancing at the cafe is because of a diversity of opinion and a freedom to use language. It would be a downright shame for the uptight nature of a few to dictate the civil expression of a whole. It's much like throwing the bathwater out with the baby.

So, there are moderators here. I think they've done a fine job. No ass kissing. Just my honest opinion. Let that group call the shots as they see fit, since this is their forum. I, for one think things have been fine. It would be a shame that a minority of people who are offended by a word or two now and then get to set the course for what is probably the definitive teaching forum dedicated to teaching China: on the internet.

I'd like to suggest an "ignore" function. Perhaps that would aid the sensitive individuals in being able to empower themselves to harmonize their own version of the saloon, while still enjoying the saloon. It would allow others who are not so sensitive to a few colorful words to enjoy unfettered opinions, observations and humor now and again*.

*I guess that a few overly sensitive individuals object to the use of the words, "fuck," and "shit." I cannot recall any diatribes on the public forums that would lead me to believe there were curse-happy manifestos, but that's just me.

"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami

psd4fan

• 在哈尔滨黑龙江中国
    • WillExcel TESOL
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 12:51:30 AM »
Vulgarity is the last refuge of the incompetent.

I disagree. Imposing linguistic cast systems is the last refuge of people who feel the need to dictate their morality on others by imposing limitations upon one's choice of language. Given the history behind how certain words became taboo there are two culprits:

The French

and

Religious fundamentalism.

If we are to dictate what is "obscene," based on the curmudgeons then we might as well don Burkas and take off our shoes before we are labeled infidels and promptly "dealt" with.

Living in a nation where I have witnessed the value of freedom of speech by the absence of great portions of it: there are simple things people can do without imposing their morality on others via proxy censorship: ignore and move along.

This isn't exactly a public place like a park, so there is an owner and a set of rules, but I have yet to see this forum degenerate into an abyss of little more than colorful metaphors that get certain sectors of the place's panties in knots. I emphasize the word panties. It's a hunch.

The reason why I like the saloon and find myself rarely glancing at the cafe is because of a diversity of opinion and a freedom to use language. It would be a downright shame for the uptight nature of a few to dictate the civil expression of a whole. It's much like throwing the bathwater out with the baby.

So, there are moderators here. I think they've done a fine job. No ass kissing. Just my honest opinion. Let that group call the shots as they see fit, since this is their forum. I, for one think things have been fine. It would be a shame that a minority of people who are offended by a word or two now and then get to set the course for what is probably the definitive teaching forum dedicated to teaching China: on the internet.

I'd like to suggest an "ignore" function. Perhaps that would aid the sensitive individuals in being able to empower themselves to harmonize their own version of the saloon, while still enjoying the saloon. It would allow others who are not so sensitive to a few colorful words to enjoy unfettered opinions, observations and humor now and again*.

*I guess that a few overly sensitive individuals object to the use of the words, "fuck," and "shit." I cannot recall any diatribes on the public forums that would lead me to believe there were curse-happy manifestos, but that's just me.

I will herein amend my post to read "linguistically or verbally challenged or incompetent"
Cussing doesn't bother me just how I feel.  asasasasas  :lickass: