collaborative online workspace

• 1 replies

Tree

• This personal text is false.
collaborative online workspace
« on: September 17, 2013, 09:46:43 PM »
I'm teaching Hotel Management students this year, and I'm looking for a way to get my students working together on projects.

I'm playing around with a program called FlockDraw. Ideally I will be able to use this with my students to help them flesh out their ideal hotel. For example, this week we will learn some roles the front desk plays: taking reservations, addressing complaints, etc. I'd like them to work on making a drawing of their ideal front desk that we can use for role-play activities either in class or via QQ.

I'll let y'all know how it shakes out. Have any others tried something like this?

EDIT:
Have moved over to using ScribLink, as the functionality sees to be far better. I also am playing around with Coccinella, but as that requires a download I think ScribLink takes the cake this round.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 10:10:15 PM by Tree »
The greatest and most important problems of life are all in a certain sense insoluble. They can never be solved, but only outgrown.
- Jung

Re: collaborative online workspace
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 05:10:48 AM »
Personally, I've found that even at their best, Chinese students are really crappy at role play. When I had a similar class, I did something just a little different:

First I broke the class into groups of 5 and each group had to present a business plan. I had them each do a different kind to eliminate copying or repeats. Group A would be examined, questioned and graded by Group B. Group B by C and so on so everybody had a turn in the barrel. Both facets would be graded and monitored by me.

Using criteria such as originality, presentation, style, vocabulary, grammar, and PARTICIPATION, the groups would receive marks. My grades included an average of their testers and me. Also, their ability to cross-examine another group was another past of my score. Each day we'd do 2 presentations and assessment. Each following day, the grades got harder. This was to reward early groups

Hope this helps or you could augment to your desires, good luck
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion