'OZ' speakers: what's the meaning?

• 58 replies

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: 'OZ' speakers: what's the meaning?
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2009, 08:38:15 AM »
Ha. You just have a good healthy fear of a Boot To The Bum.
Oh yeah? You and whose boot?? kkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkk

The phrase is actually "You and what army?", and, well, you know... uuuuuuuuuu
(Having no Vegemite, we use other means to assert our insanity... bfbfbfbfbf )

As for beets on burgers...as I said before, THIS is why the rains stopped. ayayayayay
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

George

• My view of China
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2009, 11:10:45 AM »
The phrase is actually "You and what army?
I know that! Sheesh! A little paraphrasing doesn't hurt.
I have plans during the trip home in summer, to photograph the world's best burger, before I eat it. It will have red beet!! bhbhbhbhbh bhbhbhbhbh
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2009, 02:11:36 PM »
The phrase is actually "You and what army?
I know that! Sheesh! A little paraphrasing doesn't hurt.
I have plans during the trip home in summer, to photograph the world's best burger, before I eat it. It will have red beet!! bhbhbhbhbh bhbhbhbhbh

And real beef mince or even steak, possibly with bacon as well, and fried onion, cheese, lettuce - and a choice of sauces; BBQ, tomato or mango.  It WON'T come in a small polystyrene environmental disaster bit of landfill, and it will be so big you won't be able to eat it in less than 10 bites.

Yep - Aussies really know how to make a decent burger!!

Schnerby

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2009, 02:51:53 PM »
Lotus, George, you sure know how to make my heart swell with pride...

Yummy.

I'm going to Zhengzhou today to buy cheese. Sadly, I doubt I will find a chippy selling proper Aussie burgers with the lot.  ananananan

old34

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2009, 05:22:28 PM »
Metro sells some pretty good frozen hamburger patties from Australia. They're sold in a box of 8 for about 60RMB and vacuum-packed. Each patty's about a 1/4 pound. Look in the frozen food section near the imported stuff. They have smaller, shittier plastic-wrapped Chinese beef patties in the domestic meats area. Don't be fooled. The Oz ones come in a box.

Generally, I prefer fresh beef of course, but TIC and I'd rather go with frozen beef from Australia over Chinese beef handled here, especially after one trip to the Carrefour where I saw a local pick up a package of fresh ground beef, press it, then unwrap a corner and stick her little nose in for a sniff. This during the TOS (Time of SARS).

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

DaDan

• Yeppers! We`be livin now!
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2009, 06:16:10 PM »
foot/feet... boot/beet... = Oz burgur  bibibibibi
me pappy sayd... 
Once ya get past the smell... ...:P ... `You got it licked...

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2009, 11:19:57 PM »
Bejaysus! aoaoaoaoao

If you think that the foam-boxed horrors that come out of McDonald's are really representative of the Great American Hamburger, then you're suffering a serious lack of data. As I always told my Marketing classes in Shanghai, much to the consternation of my students: McDonald's is LOUSY at making hamburgers. What they're really good at is Marketing...

Real American burgers are found in the local joints...and sometimes in homes. Come to Tulsa sometime and let me take you to Goldie's, or Bill's (which sells hamburgers in various sizes up to 2 pounds of beef!), or any number of other local legends, and you will quickly learn how high the true standard really is. And just about every US city has its own local counterparts to these.

Aussie beef is good stuff, and I have no doubt that respectable hamburgers can be found there. bjbjbjbjbj

But...beets on a hamburger! aaaaaaaaaa
This sort of thing, my friends...it can only anger the gods. bibibibibi
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

George

• My view of China
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2009, 11:28:22 PM »
This sort of thing, my friends...it can only anger the gods
Not the Red Beet God! ahahahahah ahahahahah
Red Beet is a wonderful delicacy. Picked young, boiled lightly in a spicy pickley vinegar, and served cold with salad, along with sweet pickled onions!

old34

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2009, 03:52:20 AM »
Raoul is right. And George is right.

Don't judge U.S. burgers by McDs. Every city has more than a few good burger places.

Never having been Downunder (there) I thought George and LE were talking about putting slices of beets on their burgers. Which sounds deranged and dirty and disrespectful of The Hamburger.

But then.........

Finally, George described it thusly:
Picked young, boiled lightly in a spicy pickley vinegar
I NOW know exactly what he's talking about. And Raoul, I have a hunch you may, too.

I've had it at German restaurants here in China served with pork. Blue Marlin in Suzhou serves it with some of its dishes. The unwashed (like me, until now) thought it was like a purple sauerkraut, but sweetish not sour. I think that's the stuff George and LE are raging on about. I even bought a German brand jar of it once at the Metro and used it with Brauts. I thought of it as purple cole slaw (without the slaw dressing).

If that's the stuff, looks like fried onions in a vinegary, slightly sweet, purpilish, pickled concoction that can be spooned atop a burger patty ala grilled onions or cole slaw (without the slaw dressing).

I am so back to Metro to grab another jar. The stuff is really good alone or with pork or brauts. Gotta try it on a burger. I know it will be good! Also a good substitute for the lack of a good pickle here in China.

(Boss, I'm sure you had the stuff in Suzhou either at Blue Marlin or one of the other places there. Southern Cross surely has it as a side or garnish for some of its "continental" dishes.)

Now, about that phuqing fried egg on a hamburger thing... aoaoaoaoao aaaaaaaaaa

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2009, 09:41:12 AM »
Lao San Lao Si, you may be going troppo on us. ahahahahah

Beets, I understand. America is a great and self-reliant nation, bursting with vegetable goodness, and we have all sorts of beet products on our shelves here. I'm not a big fan myself, but I can kinda see them as a salad or a side dish or some such.

But beets on a burger... aaaaaaaaaa
I can only refer to the Book of Leviticus, where it is written: "And the men of the South Island did place pickles of the red roots upon their meat and bread, and did practice such perversities before the face of The Lord, and The Lord did turn his face away from them. The Lord did say "I will smite their lands with droughts so that the crops can not grow and both man and beast will languish with thirst in the desert, and I will fill their loins with unclean cravings for the tar of leavenings, and the wild dogs will steal their infants thereof, and I shall send all manner of Hogans and Irwins to afflict them, for lo, they do commit abomination before me."

Of course, this was many thousands of years ago...but I have to believe that it still holds a warning for us today.

Amen.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2009, 10:53:45 AM »
But beets on a burger...
But if you never tried it....?
This ignorance and fear of the unknown is the one thing that prevents USAnia from becoming truly great!
BTW, I didn't realise that Levi had visited NZ!

Schnerby

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2009, 03:22:02 PM »
Metro sells some pretty good frozen hamburger patties from Australia.

But for me it would have to be a veggie burger, or fish.  bfbfbfbfbf

Beets, beetroot, you know - this stuff

George

• My view of China
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2009, 03:49:38 PM »
Yummmmmmmmm!

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2009, 03:57:14 PM »
What they say in Oz: You can beat an egg, but you can't beet a root! bfbfbfbfbf ahahahahah aoaoaoaoao

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2009, 09:48:55 PM »
But if you never tried it....?
This ignorance and fear of the unknown is the one thing that prevents USAnia from becoming truly great!

Riiiiiight. (Where the heck's that eye-roll smilie?)

It is, in part, the ability to use knowledge, logic, and intuition to deduce, predict, and avoid undesirable results that has made the USA truly great. agagagagag

I've never tried homosexuality, breast implants, or drinking goat piss, either; nor do I need to in order to know they would not be things I would enjoy.
But I can only surmise that you, with your enlightenment and courage, had to experience these things for yourself before passing judgment. uuuuuuuuuu