Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #1215 on: January 24, 2010, 01:27:30 AM »
Avatar is fun - predictable, but fun.  Lots of interesting influences - The Magic Faraway Tree, Anne McCaffrey's Dragons, Gaia theory etc - I think naming the influences could become a good party game!

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
« Reply #1216 on: January 24, 2010, 10:17:01 PM »
I saw Avatar in 3d on an IMAX screen here in the States and honestly didn't notice much in terms of it being 3d. My mother claims that she was impressed by the 3d-ness of the film, but I just couldn't see it. Weird.

Anyway, I did quite like Avatar. After seeing it, I'm not sympathetic to those in the US press who branded it "lefty". It's not.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #1217 on: January 24, 2010, 10:53:55 PM »
Just finished watching 'The Men who Stare at Goats' - cool in an odd sort of way.

Plus "Amelia" - be a very good one to use with students.

« Reply #1218 on: January 26, 2010, 04:08:14 PM »
I watched Avatar last night. Yeah, due to an old cornea transplant I am physically incapable of watching the 3D version, so had to watch the normal one instead. I know lots of people are going ga-ga over this flick, but I found it less than impressive. Yes, the whole Avatar concept was good, but that was also the only nugget of originality in the movie, the rest was just saccharine, predictable and downright dumb. I am sure the 3D version is very impressive, but when you ignore all the bells and whistles of that, this is not a tremendously awe-inspiring movie, the story, in one shape or another, has been seen before a million times, it's riddled with cliches and long-winded speeches of the "加油!加油!" variety. Honestly, there was nothing in this movie I found surprising or interesting. My DVD copy cost 8 Kuai, a ticket to the cinema would have cost me 100 Kuai, the latter would have been a waste and the former could have been spent on something better.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1219 on: January 26, 2010, 05:04:07 PM »
Everything you say about Avatar is fair except you didn't see it in 3D. The movie is made for this. Cameron invented new cameras for this very purpose. The quality of the 3D changes the feeling you have while watching.

If you a take a story and film it in black and white, you will probably make different choices than if you were to use colour. This 3D is a big jump. It's definitely not as good in 2D. At the IMAX in 3D it was spectacular. On my TV it was just long.

« Reply #1220 on: January 26, 2010, 05:28:22 PM »
Yes, but I couldn't care less if Cameron invented new cameras or if everyone in the universe suddenly has a hard-on for 3D, I'm physically incapable of watching a 3D movie, and as for the effects...3D may be ever so impressive but CGI is blah...who's impressed by that? SO whether it was meant to be watched in 3D or not, does not in any way annul the fact that this is not a good movie. Sure, special effects, 3D, interactive experience with the movie...just because you sprinkle diamonds on a turd doesn't make it any less of a turd.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1221 on: January 26, 2010, 05:48:25 PM »
If you can't experience something the way it is intended it may seem like a turd. Like poor translation of book in a language you can't read.

I like good CGI. What wrong with that? Can you not appreciate things for the different qualities they might have?

In a theatre in 3D it is a different experience than watching on your dvd player.

Is Avatar the best movie ever? Of course not, but a turd?

You'd have to be blind to think that .... oh wait, nevermind.

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #1222 on: January 26, 2010, 05:58:09 PM »
I saw Burn After Reading last night. Classic Coen brothers...the best thing they've done since The Man Who Wasn't There.

Going to see Avatar today.  bfbfbfbfbf

fox

« Reply #1223 on: January 26, 2010, 07:44:46 PM »
just watched 'precious' some powerful moments. sensitively done in parts, challenging but a positive outcome. also watched 'lovely bones' a dip into the afterlife and an effort to show the connections.  Both good movies in their own right i thought.
regard man as a mine rich in gems of inestimable value.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #1224 on: January 26, 2010, 07:45:55 PM »
I have "The Lovely Bones" - enjoyed the book.  Did you think they messed the book up?? If they did I won't watch it!!

« Reply #1225 on: January 26, 2010, 08:09:26 PM »
I have no problem with good CGI, Stil, but when that is all there is to a movie, I don't see the point of it. CGI is just make-up, no depth, nothing.
I have watched "The Invisible Man" with Claude Rains a million times, the story is good and the effects are amazing, and that is an old movie. Give me a movie that emphasizes acting and plot over any of these computer movies any day.

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #1226 on: January 27, 2010, 09:24:41 AM »
 Eric!!!! You love The original Invisible Man too?! I think we must get married. akakakakak

As for Avatar, it turns out IMAX tickets are sold out for two weeks, and being that I live 2 subway stops from one of only 3 IMAX theaters in Beijing, I will reserve my judgement until Feb 11. This also gives me me time to buy some drugs...

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #1227 on: January 27, 2010, 03:07:26 PM »
Feng Xiaogang's "If you are the one'.  An interesting, slightly satirical look at trying to find 'the one'.  Plenty of good lines and Shu Qi looks really good in this movie. 

My English subtitles are good, and at times, it was even possible to follow the Chinese!

I was told his next one will be set in 1976, so may not be so reflective of China today.

old34

« Reply #1228 on: January 27, 2010, 03:34:03 PM »
Feng Xiaogang's "If you are the one'.  An interesting, slightly satirical look at trying to find 'the one'.  Plenty of good lines and Shu Qi looks really good in this movie. 

When doesn't Shu Qi look good? mmmmmmmmmm

Shu Qi = Most Beautiful Woman in the World, Ever.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #1229 on: February 03, 2010, 04:42:23 AM »
Bright Star - the Jane Campion movie about Fanny Brawne, John Keats' inspiration.  Very well done.

A .O. Scott's review calls it "... perfectly chaste and insanely sexy."

"Taking Woodstock" by Ang Lee.  Another favourite director, cool inside story.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 08:08:55 AM by Lotus Eater »