Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #1560 on: May 25, 2013, 12:33:10 PM »
"The call" starring Halle Berry as a 911 operator, was a good movie if you like observing human behavior. My Neighbour likes to live in "Dreamland" and she found this film upsetting. I won't go into details since you folk will have access to this movie information. I liked the ending! uuuuuuuuuu

« Reply #1561 on: June 01, 2013, 12:55:37 PM »
Saw the 1974 version of "The great Gatsby" last Monday and yesterday saw the newest version starring Leonardo DiCaprio. I preferred the original version, but to be honest, I really don't know why they bothered remaking it at some astronomical cost. Obviously a lot went into costumes and the settings, but I am not greatly impressed by such things.

« Reply #1562 on: June 08, 2013, 11:49:52 AM »
Right..."Bullet to the Head" starring Sly Stallone and Jason Momoa. Absolute crap. Poor acting, poor plot, no discernible chemistry between the two protagonists.
"Jack the Giant Slayer" starring...mmm...two people whom I have never heard of. In a movie involving giant beanstalks, giant monsters and fantasy in general I do, despite what the surprised critics of the movie said, a CGI extravaganza. It was fun, light-hearted and predictable. The kind of movie which you want to watch after teaching for 8 hours.
"John Dies at the End" low-budget hilarity. If you are unfamiliar with it, read the novel and then watch the movie.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #1563 on: June 08, 2013, 12:25:37 PM »
"The Hangover Part 111". This was what you would expect it to be. At the end, the credits came up and the cast names were shown and most of the old farts at the movie were headed out the door. Suddenly there is a quick scene with one of the guys in women's knickers and with a really great set of boobs. Next, in comes the Asian guy totally naked in a full frontal shot. My neighbour's jaw dropped open and she was in a state of shock. ahahahahah ahahahahah I could almost hear the rest of the old girls skidding on the carpet to get back for a better look. ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah What a way to get their hearts started for the trip home? This of course prompted discussions about you know what in relation to Asian males. uuuuuuuuuu ahahahahah

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #1564 on: June 08, 2013, 03:27:35 PM »
Eric, I was VERY disappointed in "Bullet to the Head". It was apparently the swan song for Walter Hill, who has directed many fine action films, including "48 Hours" and "The Warriors". This had no drama OR action.

Much better was The Rock's new film, "Snitch, which was more an action-oriented drama than an outright action film. It's about a guy who agrees to help the DEA and Federal prosecutors set up some big-time drug dealers to get his son off on a drug charge. It has some good supporting performances from Jon Berenthal (The Walking Dead) and Michael K. Williams (The Wire and Boardwalk Empire), although Susan Sarandon is kind of wasted on a role that could have been played by anybody. It has a lot more depth than one might expect, taking a strong stand against mandatory minimum drug sentences.

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #1565 on: June 08, 2013, 04:50:44 PM »
Have been showing my students "Edward ScissorHands" as their "end of year treat" and frankly even after watching it 14 times I think it's awesome. Johnny Depp just has it all.. akakakakak Can't wait for him as THe Lone Ranger
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1566 on: June 08, 2013, 05:33:27 PM »
Can't wait for him as THe Lone Ranger

Could be a long wait.

He's Tonto in the up coming movie.

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #1567 on: June 08, 2013, 06:46:48 PM »
Oops so he is.Fine I will settle for Tonto.Still love him  akakakakak
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #1568 on: June 22, 2013, 01:39:17 PM »
Saw World War Z yesterday as was not really impressed. I laughed briefly and derisively at one point and the guy in front spun round and told me to "shush". It was truly only a VERY brief expression, but he and his young 6yrs? old son were glued to the screen. I chose to wait til the end of the movie and try to get this guy away from his son for long enough to tell him that he was not in fact in Church and that I am allowed to laugh briefly in the movies. I think he felt my vibes and he moved off quickly before I could get my sore foot into action. Has anyone else seen it?

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1569 on: June 22, 2013, 03:10:17 PM »
I've not seen it yet Granny, but I was disappointed with how they decided to film it. This was an awesome audiobook. I usually prefer reading but this really worked as an audiobook.  It was like an old radio show. The story was told from the perspective of a reporter going around the world interviewing survivors after the end of the outbreak. There was no hero just devastated people telling their stories. They completely dropped that from the movie. It should not have been called World War Z.

« Reply #1570 on: June 22, 2013, 07:53:33 PM »
I recently heard of that audio book (World War Z) but haven't heard it or read the book.  I also just became aware that the book's author is Mel Brooks' son (Max?). From the previews, the way the movie is set up as opposed to the book, it appears it would be a good candidate for a Mel Brooks send up.  That would be interesting, although I doubt Mel would still be sharp or even interested in making a movie.

« Reply #1571 on: July 16, 2013, 01:17:21 PM »
Saw "The Lone Ranger" and to be honest, all I can say, is that it was ok. I was reading that it is turning out to be "one of the costliest bombs of all time". AUS.$150 million is the predicted financial loss of the film.

"The Heat" doesn't get much of a write up here; it was actually classed as average. There were mainly old farts at the session I attended. I heard several gasps from some of the ladies because Melissa McCarthy constantly used "bad" language. I laughed, as did most of the other folks. If you don't mind some bad language, you will probably get a laugh out of this movie.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1572 on: July 16, 2013, 03:32:43 PM »
Now that my darling video pirates are back in business, I can once again peruse the bizarre things they stock for no apparent reason.  The latest one that really stood out was Iron Sky.  There's nothing quite like Nazis from the moon to ensure that a movie can reach new heights and depths of deranged silliness.

I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1573 on: July 16, 2013, 06:27:29 PM »
dont know if its been mentioned, but Looper, with bruce willis was geat imo. captured the feeling of 'twelve monkeys' and bruce acts really well in it. its a powerful film.

« Reply #1574 on: July 16, 2013, 06:51:09 PM »
I liked "Iron Sky", it was fun, original and completely silly.
I am still waiting for a good copy of "The Lone Ranger". Been reading a lot of bad reviews of it. Not sure why. It seems fun, but a lot of reviewers seem to compare it to the TV show which I have never watched.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.