Answer and Ask the next question

• 229 replies

Schnerby

Re: Answer and Ask the next question
« Reply #225 on: November 23, 2009, 07:11:06 PM »
I don't know if its good news or bad, but Schnerby and picked the very same two movies  mmmmmmmmmm  aoaoaoaoao

If you'd seen the things I saw you wouldn't be saying that  aoaoaoaoao aoaoaoaoao  ahahahahah

Sleeper busses are the pits. I could probably sleep better and more comfortably on the back of one of those trucks that carry migrant workers. I took a sleeper bus not long ago to a student's home town for a wedding. The town was in the south of Shanxi, and I am in the south of Henan. The trip there was fairly uneventful, but on the way home we had a university choir travelling down our way for a competition. As with all Chinese students preparing for a competition, thay practived endlessly. It felt like sing-a-long time, although they were mighty good singers.

Now, to repeat an interesting question:
From where to where was your most interesting sleeper bus ride?

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #226 on: November 23, 2009, 07:57:50 PM »
JingHong to Kunming.  We had also done the Kunming to JingHong leg, but it was more fun coming back.  We left JingHong about 7:30pm and I was sleeping in the front row, centre - possibly the best place to sleep if you can fit into the 'bed'.  About midnight we were pulled over by the police for a drugs check.  They boarded the bus, asked for our passports/hukou and saw the kangaroo on the front of mine. "Ah, daishu",  smiled and went on to the next person - no further search.  Then we all had to get off the bus, collect our luggage and stand beside it, ready for searching.  I stood beside mine, with passport ready again.

"Ah, daishu" said the copper, opened the top of my backpack and walked on.  No search.   Most others on the bus had to unpack everything.  I have never underestimated the power of the 'roo since that day! 

They took a couple of people into the office tent for questioning, but eventually after an hour or more, we all made it back on the bus.  Looking for a space to find a bathroom break beside the road in the middle of the night is cool too.

Most interesting Chinese wedding you've been too?

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #227 on: November 24, 2009, 02:57:25 AM »
The most interesting (and, sadly, only) Chinese wedding I went to so far was a traditional Dongguan midnight bridal kidnapping.  The insanity started at 10 pm when a friend called and asked if I could attend a wedding that evening.

First, all the males gathered at the groom's family home.  Then we piled into cars and vans just before midnight and headed over to the bride's village.  The streets were to narrow to get the vehicles up to the front door, so we parked about 6 blocks away and proceeded to walk.  Just to make certain that no one was unaware of our presence, the groom's father kept setting of packs of industrial sized firecrackers.

When we got there, the outer security gate was locked.  Someone went a little too far rigging the hinges, since the door came off in the groom's hands the first time he shook it.  Then we proceeded upstairs to a 2nd floor balcony.  The security door there was firmly attached and locked. It was also defended by a large number of girls armed with cans of softdrinks and beer - and they weren't afraid to spray those at us through a barred window and over the top of the door while shouting various threatening sounding statements in Cantonese.  My side was fairly well armed with similar items, so there was quite a bit of extra laundry to do in both villages the next day.  I managed to position myself on the far side of the balcony where I could see through the window (and where a particularly aggressive defender would use a broomstick on any hands that dared to grab the metal bars - I'm amazed no fingers were broken).  I speak approximately 2 words of Cantonese, but did managed to use hand signals to give warnings of outbound beer/coke and to indicate when there was a good target for a drenching on the other side of the door.

Eventually, the groom managed to negotiate both a cease-fire and to get that door opened through handing over a large number of hong bao to the defenders.  Then we encountered a final wooden door.  He decided that kicking it off the hinges would be more effective than wasting time on further negotiations with the bridesmaids.  Inside was the very lovely bride (sadly in white, not the traditional red), but there was one final problem.  Somehow, her shoes had been "misplaced" and she couldn't leave without them.  This resulted in a massive search by all the groom's friends while the bridesmaids watched with great amusement.  The first shoe was quickly found, but the second one was no where to be found.  I noticed one of the bridesmaids out looking around a dark storage closet on the balcony.  I went out and loaned her my flashlight and she quickly found the hidden (far too well hidden) shoe and moved it where one of the groom's friends could quickly find it.

Once the bride had her proper footwear, we all went downstairs and were tossed out in the street while there was a short ceremony with the groom and the bride's family.  Then we went back to the cars (with the groom holding an umbrella over the bride the whole way - I'm not sure if that was part of the ceremony or if some Chinese girls are worried that moonlight could be as bad for their skin as sunlight  ahahahahah).  Then, we returned to the groom's home where another ceremony was held in the street before the bride could come in.

What's the most interesting non-Chinese wedding you've been to?
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

ITBOY001

• i work in ShenZhen,,and my home is in ShangHai
« Reply #228 on: March 05, 2010, 04:36:54 AM »
anyone knows how to translate "一醉方休”in english?

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #229 on: March 05, 2010, 01:25:55 PM »
'Get your drink on', 'Get good and drunk' kind of thing