Beijing hostel in winter

• 11 replies
Beijing hostel in winter
« on: November 04, 2009, 04:02:37 AM »
So I'm going to be in Beijing the middle of this december and I am staying in a hostel. The only thing I'm worried about is the heating. It's the Peking International hostel, which I know is nice but I still have no idea about the whole heat thing. Anyone know if central heat is unheard of in a hostel and if I'll just be stuck freezing with a crappy ac/heating thing on the wall? Am I better off just throwing down some more cash and staying in an actual hotel?

chinalin

• The Great wall in winter.
    • Lin's China Travels
Re: Beijing hostel in winter
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 04:29:51 AM »
I have stayed in two hostels, in the last two winters in Beijing.  One was Leo Hostel, which is in the hutong area, near to Tiananmen Square, in fact barely a ten minute walk from there.  It is an old building, but it was warm enough.  And last year I stayed in another hostel, between Leo's and T'square.  Both were perfectly adequate, and I would not consider spending the money required for a hotel.  The trade off in meeting people is well worth the slighter less posh accommodation, I think.

Lin
Zhaoqing, Guangdong.
 bxbxbxbxbx

Monkey King

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 04:36:59 AM »
You will almost certainly be totally fine as far as heating is concerned.  Just about anywhere a foreigner is officially allowed to stay these days is going to be reasonably comfortable. It's worth bearing in mind that almost any hotel anywhere in China also has extra blankets in a cupboard somewhere in the room.

Anyway, the Northerners generally know how to heat a room.  As someone from a relatively cold country (Scotland) who has lived both North and South of the Yangtze, I'd rather spend my winters in the North.

Despite the fact that between October and March temperatures here in Zhejiang regularly dip to low single figures Centigrade, with occasional, sometimes prolonged freezing spells, there is no central heating, double glazing or insulation of any kind, anywhere. Because we are in the South. And it's not that cold here. Yeah right.

Edit - went and did a bit of research on this heating thing, sorry if off topic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_China_and_South_China

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huai_River
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 05:05:57 AM by MK »

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 05:11:06 AM »
When I first arrived in Beijing in February 2008, I stayed in the Youth Hostel across the street from the (east) train station. Warm, compfy, and absolute no frills other than its across the street from the (east) train station.
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

ting

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 04:23:57 PM »
hostels vary. recommend you carry own sleeping bag, toilet paper, soap/towel and toothbrush. also, don't drink the water directly from the faucet or the toilet.

old34

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 05:40:11 PM »
also, don't drink the water directly from ... the toilet.

aoaoaoaoao

That's good advice for anyplace anywhere. 
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 07:52:21 PM »
The Peking Uni hostel is great. Some friends of mine stayed there last year and I got a look at the facilities. Except for the shared bathrooms, it doesn't even really look like a hostel. I'd be very surprised if they didn't have heat.

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 10:11:53 PM »
How are hostels for women? Is it safe? Is the only thing I have to worry about is the shared bathroom? Well, I'd be with my boyfriend anyways so there goes the safety. I always assumed a hostel would only be for sleeping for the night and I'd spend the rest of my almost entire day sighteeing/exploring. I'm thinking about doing a hostel in Japan since their hotels are expensive...

Schnerby

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 11:16:42 PM »
I've done the hostel thing solo and never felt unsafe. Once I shared a room with an American guy and two empty beds and had no problems. I've also met tonnes of interesting people. As long as you have shower shoes and a towel you will be fine.

You should have even less worries staying with your boyfriend.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 12:22:28 AM »
Hostels are fine - I've had no problems staying int hem, and the ones I've been in ahve been cleaner than a lot of hotels I've stayed in here!

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 02:34:04 AM »
great thanks sounds like it should be fine. it will probably warmer than my apartment.

Monkey King

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 03:31:11 AM »
Quote from: Lotus
and the ones I've been in have been cleaner than a lot of hotels I've stayed in here

This is very true. I don't stay in dorms any more, but in a good hostel, you can get an excellent private room with double bed, cable TV, air con, your own bathroom and a range of services for maybe a couple hundred RMB at most (much less for shared room / dorm stays).

You can pay twice that or more at a regular 'hotel' and get CCTV Nine, shitty service, and not much else, especially around the big tourist areas.

It used to seem logical to me to go for cheap local hotels, but although there are some nice cheap chain hotels like Home Inn that are a good bet in those cites where no-one really WANTS to stay (Shenzhen, I am thinking of you), I have found overall 'backpacker' hostels generally are a better choice.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 03:47:23 AM by MK »