2 Daft Questions...

• 12 replies
2 Daft Questions...
« on: September 04, 2010, 01:15:06 AM »
... but who better to ask than the Saloonies?

1. Went out today for a big wander about town, got a fair share of stares but not a single "haloo". One thing I noticed was that people always look at my feet, I mean, really take them in. Is this just cos I've got big white size elevens? Is it cos I'm wearing sandals? (I haven't noticed any Chinese dudes wearing sandals, other than those croc things) I seem to remember people looking at my feet last time in China too, when I didn't have any sandals.

My feet are by no means enormous!

2. Had my medical today and they took a urine sample (the doctor spoke to me in Chinese and when I didn't understand the Chinese medical term for urine, she smiled and said "pee pee". Hella cute.)

Now, paranoid android that I am, I couldn't help but worry that some of the low-grade, headache-inducing Dublin "Mary Jane" that I may have passively inhaled at one or another going away party might show up. They wouldn't be testing for that would they? 

oooooooooo
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

kitano

• Children of the Atom
Re: 2 Daft Questions...
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 01:38:21 AM »
i smoked a lot of weed before i headed out and only had about a week off and was fine (it stays in your system for 2 months or something)

the medical is jut to check for extreme stuff, weed etc won t show up

no idea about the feet tho :D

xwarrior

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 01:48:13 AM »
Is this just cos I've got big white size elevens? Is it cos I'm wearing sandals? (I haven't noticed any Chinese dudes wearing sandals, other than those croc things)

I do not think it is a 'sandal' thing as I see them most places in the back streets. There is, however, a lot of interest in the size and brand of my shoes.

I wear 'Colarado shoes' - big and black and ideal to cope with Chinese footpaths, squat toilets and flooded streets.

Not long ago I was wandering a back street at night when a passing car screeched to a stop in front of me. A guy jumped out and asked me where I had bought my shoes. I said New Zealand. He thanked me for the information, jumped back in his car and drove away.

They wouldn't be testing for that would they?

From memory they only report on stuff that relates to kidney function ... and a result that may indicate a heart problem. Never seen anything relating to people like 'Mary Jane' ... maybe because the only one I know is is Nicky Teen.        
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 02:08:42 AM »
They're trying to determine how rich you are.

Don't worry about the weed.

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 02:23:50 AM »
They're trying to determine how rich you are.

seriously Stil? checking out the brand?

I'm wearing Birkenstocks, all their gonna find out is that I'm a hand-wringing liberal leftie. 
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 03:27:10 AM »
One thing I noticed was that people always look at my feet, I mean, really take them in. Is this just cos I've got big white size elevens? Is it cos I'm wearing sandals?

My feet are by no means enormous!

I get that all the time, but it could be because I wear red high heel stilettoes

For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 04:44:24 AM »
Try it sometime. If somebody is pissing you off, look down at their shoes, point and laugh a little. Watch the reaction.

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 06:26:21 AM »
Fozz, where you are was the only place I didn't get the annoying "hulloooo." But there was plenty of staring out there. Don't remember them staring at my feet though.
"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." -Calvin
3 greatest things in the world in one website: http://www.boozefoodtravel.com
http://www.TotalTaipei.com
My Taipei travel guide: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RSMVG

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 02:41:14 PM »
Hey Matt:

I'm actually in Ningbo now, not that other place, and the staring ratio is about the same, but also no "Hulloo"... I was surprised about that in the other place, thought that foreigners were rare enough out there!

maybe the "hullo" is so 2009?
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 03:09:29 PM »
I still get a lot of "hulllloooooo" here even in areas full of foreigners. I get a million when I'm on the bike. What's funny is that I got a few in Shanghai too but none in Hong Kong thankfully.

As for your original daft question, I've never had to submit any samples other than blood during any medical for school purposes. The only time there has been urine tests in these parts was when the police were actually seeking friends of Mary Jane. A FT was caught and his whole school was tested.

The claim is that it stays in your system for about a month (I'm no expert) but all told, 5 ex-pats are now ex-China (yup, deported)
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Monkey King

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 04:37:18 PM »
Sometimes when I go out and I can't be bothered I wear those bathroom slipper / flip flop things, just as many of the locals do.  However, something about a laowai doing this seems to be hilarious to some people.  Now I am wondering if they thought I was poor?!?!?

Ruth

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 06:22:43 PM »
Now I am wondering if they thought I was poor?!?!?
Maybe. 

A few years ago I took my son some comfy shoes: the slip-on kind that old people in China wear.  He asked me to bring him some more on my recent visit.  Well, I knew where to find them in my former small town in Liaoning.  Wasn't sure where to find them in the big city of Dongguan so I asked students for help.  They were all curious as to why I wasn't looking for name-brand shoes.  "Why does your son want cheap shoes?"  Because they are comfy wasn't a good enough reason.  (BTW, cost me 8 kuai when I, with Becster's help  bjbjbjbjbj, found them.)
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

Crippler

• Dangerous place to post
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 05:06:48 AM »
Now I am wondering if they thought I was poor?!?!?
Maybe. 

A few years ago I took my son some comfy shoes: the slip-on kind that old people in China wear.  He asked me to bring him some more on my recent visit.  Well, I knew where to find them in my former small town in Liaoning.  Wasn't sure where to find them in the big city of Dongguan so I asked students for help.  They were all curious as to why I wasn't looking for name-brand shoes.  "Why does your son want cheap shoes?"  Because they are comfy wasn't a good enough reason.  (BTW, cost me 8 kuai when I, with Becster's help  bjbjbjbjbj, found them.)

Yes 8 kuai a pair and she didn't even bargain. kkkkkkkkkk Mortal sin to not get a bargain. I would have bought them for 4 a pair...   asasasasas