Social Media: if you had to choose just one?

• 12 replies
Social Media: if you had to choose just one?
« on: March 20, 2015, 02:27:19 PM »
Which would you choose? Weibo, Wechat, Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Youtube commenting, Tumbler, a certain forum we all know, some other forum, I hear Renren's old hat these days, what else are people on?

If I really had to choose just one digital social connection, I'd keep a Wordpress blog. I mean, anything I post anywhere turns into a blog-type post anyway. But I don't know what the other sites and services are like because I don't use them. This question about social media is prompted by having pretty much no social media presence anyway (and yet still getting pinged by Linkedin today). I have a Twitter account that I literally never use. I have a Photobucket account that I sometimes use. I was on Linkedin for about a week. I have email of course but that's not "social".

What would you stick to if you had to stay with only one?
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
Re: Social Media: if you had to choose just one?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 05:07:50 PM »
You forgot QQ.

In my case, it's WeChat as it's indespensible for work for me.

I use Facebook to keep track of friends in Canada and abroad but also there is a Changsha specific group that shows what events are coming up in the city.

Twitter for news and sports (I follow reporters not friends)

I have my own blog and follow other forums but if I had to choose only one, it would be WeChat just for the messaging alone.

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 05:19:45 PM »
You forgot QQ.

In my case, it's WeChat as it's indespensible for work for me.

I use Facebook to keep track of friends in Canada and abroad but also there is a Changsha specific group that shows what events are coming up in the city.

Twitter for news and sports (I follow reporters not friends)

I have my own blog and follow other forums but if I had to choose only one, it would be WeChat just for the messaging alone.

Yeah. WeChat. Facebook would probably come in second, but it being blocked in China creates that one added step of hassle which means that, instead of checking it constantly like I do WeChat, I check it maybe once a day.

I enjoy browsing Tumblr but I don't really participate. It seems to be populated by a much younger crowd anyhow. I liked Instagram before it was blocked but now I check it less often than I check Facebook.

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 06:33:22 PM »
 bgbgbgbgbg

I see these words - Instagram, Tumblr, even for that matter Facebook - and I know they are real things, but I don't know what they are. The first two are something about photos, right?

Twitter I know. I set up an account a few years back just to lock up the username. At the time it seemed like a good idea. But in any case, I understand what Twitter is. I also saw a study recently that asked how much conversion takes place - how often does Twitter information lead to activity outside of Twitter - and apparently it's not much. Twitter, supposedly once thought of as a marketing tool, turns out to be great for getting people onto Twitter. Or so said the study.

I might take a crack at Wechat, actually. It and Weixin are the same thing? And they're more a "platform" than just a chat app - does all the things, not just messaging?

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 09:36:19 PM »
I'm very slowly getting my blog cranked up and have limited my social media presence to G+.  Guess I should find a Chinese equivalent too.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 12:17:36 AM »
Seems like in China WeChat is the shizzle. Now that I think about it, right after phone number my WeChat is what students ask me for these days. Seems like no one asks for QQ anymore. Having decided to give WeChat a try, I'm a bit disappointed to discover it's basically (70 million users outside of China notwithstanding) a China thing. About half a billion users inside China. And well, pffft. If I had a social life inside China, sure. But what if I'm not that committed to whatever it is China has planned for me? I want more. Not sure what.

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 12:04:56 PM »
I choose none.
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 08:52:18 PM »
I use Wechat for work, students and Chinese acquaintances, and What's App for closer friends here and people back home.

Wechat has a ton of features, including a very good video calling function, and a way to meet people in your geographic proximity. For features, Wechat is great, but there are privacy issues. What's App is encrypted, blah, blah, if you're concerned about that stuff.

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 09:23:39 AM »
as it happens, I was talking about something similar in another place, in another context. But sure, the song remains the same; all social media is born with its own best-before date. QQ is so yesterday, atm its weixin, tomorrow its who knows what. And you can bet that before things have gone much further, it will take a real pen and ink letter to get me to answer my email. So who's the snail mail now? And who is tomorrow's?

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 07:03:54 PM »
i'm sure I'm missing out on something. I'm pretty much equally sure I don't have any kind of enthusiasm for my social media presence. I don't have the energy for managing the intrusion. Phone goes dinglingle and *I* have to do something about it? I have to compose some answer? That's on my schedule now?!

Like I say, I'm sure I'm missing something. If there is a way to view social media as something more than a collar jerked by other people, I'm all eyes.

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 05:07:03 AM »
If there is a way to view social media as something more than a collar jerked by other people, I'm all eyes.

A very large, very jaded part of me wants to say that there isn't, and you might as well get used to ignoring it. The smaller, more open part of me allows that the onus is on the various media apps to demonstrate their utility. Their utility to me, not to some marketer's ideal of what a consumer should be. Why should I give a twit?

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 03:18:05 PM »
What bothers me about social media is how they lack descriptions. I'm an internet kind of guy. I go on forums. I have enough transferable google-fu to know how poorly Bing works and how much Baidu sucks in English. And yet I don't know what Facebook is. I have seen the face of the beast. I had an account. And yet I still don't know what it is!

I started this thread hoping to have descriptions occur naturally. But they didn't. And I have come to conclude that they won't. It's kind of shocking.

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 02:09:26 PM »
A forum I used to frequent is presently having ructions related to moderation conventions. The existence of a moderator class and a user class is a puzzle on the internet. On the one hand, management of communities is de facto required. (Anarchy doesn't successfully scale.) On the other, communities, particularly those online, are all about content. If people are being paid to generate that content, then curation by a moderator/manager class is reasonable. But who pays anyone ever for posting on the internet. (Well, hell, everyone does - company marketing departments do, government propaganda departments do - but that's select work and doesn't add up to "community")

Which is all to say, what is social media, really?