30 years ago today...

• 30 replies

Ruth

30 years ago today...
« on: May 05, 2009, 02:16:04 PM »
Not sure if I should have called this thread "Crippler tragedy".  If George were starting it, surely it would have been.  But it's my thread, so...

30 years ago today I was a blushing bride of 20.  God gave me a wonderful gift and that gift is still precious to me today.  akakakakak There are a few gray hairs and a few extra pounds on both of us, but his baby-blue eyes still make my heart melt. Some little girls who come to my home for lessons are very interested in the pictures I have.  They figured out that the wedding picture on the wall is of me.  They are learning opposites.  At least they used the words 'young teacher' for the picture and 'old teacher' for the reality.  Pretty/ugly and thin/fat are also in their textbook  ahahahahah

There have been lots of hills and valleys over the years but God has seen us through.  We began married life with a teenager (or 3) as his kids came and went at the whim of their mother, added two beautiful boys of our own to the mix and 30 or so foster kids over the years. (We now have 7 grandchildren and 1 great-grandchild.) We were never alone until we came to China - let the honeymoon begin!! bhbhbhbhbh

I married a nomad.  We've lived in 17 different homes* in 9 different cities in 7 different states/provinces in 3 different countries.  "Home" is where I sleep.  He's moved on ahead of me a few times, but I always catch up.  Once he had all of our possessions and our sons in an apartment.  I had the empty house (that wouldn't sell) and the dog.  For five months the dog and I drove 11 hours each way every other weekend for visits.  Living in China is easy in comparison.  (*I counted the 3 group homes and 1 'days off' house we moved among on a weekly basis as 1 home.  We were the relief couple, giving the other 3 couples on our team a week off each month.)

We're in the wrong country for the 5th of May to be a national holiday, but China's May 1st holiday is close enough for us to take advantage of the time off work.  We had a lovely honeymoon weekend at the beach this past weekend.  Today is just another work day for us - leisure all day and 2 classes each in the evening.  Tough life. 

Drinks all day on me Crippler  agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

Re: 30 years ago today...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 02:29:09 PM »
Congratulations to both of you.  akakakakak akakakakak

It is good when you are able to find 'Mr. Right'  (or in Crippler's case, Mrs. Right)  akakakakak akakakakak

agagagagag agagagagag
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

babala

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 02:33:29 PM »
Congrats to the both of you. It seems so seldom that we get to share in a story of a long-lasting, love-filled marriage akakakakak

agagagagag
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson

Schnerby

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 03:24:03 PM »
Ruth, you seem to have had quite the interesting life so far.  bfbfbfbfbf

Congratulations on the milestone. Here's to the next 30!  agagagagag

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 06:04:48 PM »
agagagagag  Guys, it's been way too long.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 06:28:46 PM »
Congratulations to both of you.  agagagagag

George

• My view of China
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 06:34:32 PM »
A tragic story indeed! Congrats to yez both, and hopefully a bunch of years yet to come. agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

solongtinik

• tryin to complete my life's journey
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 07:22:01 PM »
wow!!!!!!! i'm so inspired by your story!

big congratulations!  agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag
if he does not struggle against what is wrong-even if it seems beyond his strength-he will bever find the right road

AMonk

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 10:42:07 PM »
Ruth & Crippler---- bhbhbhbhbh agagagagag bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf akakakakak
Moderation....in most things...

DaDan

• Yeppers! We`be livin now!
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 11:00:50 PM »
agagagagag
me pappy sayd... 
Once ya get past the smell... ...:P ... `You got it licked...

Ruth

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 11:33:04 PM »
Ruth, you seem to have had quite the interesting life so far. 
I'm glad you said "so far".  The adventure is far from over (I hope.)

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 12:21:17 AM »
Ruth, congratulations on a very significant milestone and a great life SO FAR. My hubby and I celebrated our tenth anniversary of marriage at Christmas and I sincerely believe (and hope) that we will make it twenty, thirty and many more years of being married. I like that your honeymoon began when you came to China, gives me hope that what I tell my hubby (there is life after kids) is true!  agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag

Ruth

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 01:00:33 AM »
Definitely life after kids.  My mom didn't get married until she was 35.  She had a great single life prior to that and absolutely freaked (to put it mildly) that I was wasting my life by getting married so young.  I was young, and I would advise against it to anyone that age asking me for advice, but what do I know?  It worked ok for me.

Congrats on the Number 10 milestone.  Each one is special, but there's something about those decade markers.

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 01:44:20 AM »
Wow, congratulations guys  agagagagag. Nice to hear of marriages REALLY lasting the distance.

Enjoy the anniversery!
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 01:56:22 AM »
We were young too, 23 and 24, and from different continents as well so almost everyone told me not to do it - 10 years later, I think we've proved them wrong! I think you should make May 5 your national holiday and tell your employer you can't ever work that day as you have important things to celebrate  ahahahahah