Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #795 on: August 24, 2008, 05:54:13 AM »
Watched the latest Star Wars movie. Bloody awful. Like watching a computer game, horrible dialogue, plot so weak you would think they had raised Thomas Preckett Priest from his paupers grave so he could write the manuscript, it was just bad, bad, bad!!!!
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #796 on: August 24, 2008, 10:34:14 AM »
If by the latest you mean Revenge of the Sith I have to seriously disagree. It delivered what it promised. Lots of action, kick ass special effects...and as an added bonus we got a really nasty villain in Palpatine. I love that movie. Still have fond memories of seeing it in Hong Kong with popcorn AND beer. But...to each their own.

« Reply #797 on: August 24, 2008, 10:52:37 AM »
Nononono...not the latest real movie. The latest movie is the animated piece of crap, Clone Wars. I loved ROTS, except for the wooden love scenes between Anakin and Amidala, probably the least convincing romantic scenes I have ever had to endure. The ending of ROTS bothered me a bit too, Anakin falls a bit too easily IMO, but I liked the movie. Clone Wars was bad. I don't mean the really good short cartoons they aired on Cartoon Network, those were brilliant, but the one currently running in theaters. Dash it all to heck, it stinks worse than a public Chinese toilet in Nanchang during the warmest day of summer.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #798 on: August 24, 2008, 11:08:53 AM »
The ending of ROTS bothered me a bit too, Anakin falls a bit too easily IMO, but I liked the movie.

Thanks for ruining the ending for me Eric the blabbermouth!  asasasasas

« Reply #799 on: August 24, 2008, 11:20:47 AM »
I'll ruin it some more for you...Darth Vader is actually Anakin Skywalker, father of Luke and Leia!

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #800 on: August 24, 2008, 11:50:04 AM »
Anakin falls too easy? That was the greatest light sabre fight of all time...that didn't involve Yoda. Yoda kicks ass.

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #801 on: August 24, 2008, 06:33:49 PM »
Yoda hurts harmless beasts of burden?

So much for enlightenment, then.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

« Reply #802 on: August 24, 2008, 08:10:08 PM »
Anakin falls too easy? That was the greatest light sabre fight of all time...that didn't involve Yoda. Yoda kicks ass.

Not the saber fight. One minute he sees Palpy turn Windu into flying kebab and then he's killing children. I meant that he turns really evil way too fast. Yoda never fights Anakin. Yoda fights Palpy.

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #803 on: August 24, 2008, 09:25:16 PM »
 If I may continue to be a complete geek, my favourite duel was Yoda vs. Dooku in Clone Wars. Saved the movie. But yeah, I see your point. Anakin went from being the chosen one to mass butcher pretty quick. Still, I actually liked ROS better than anything in the original trilogy.

« Reply #804 on: August 24, 2008, 09:49:55 PM »
I'm nearly done with Star Trek DS-9. I am on Next Generation and Voyager now  afafafafaf

I can't watch any drama movies these days cause I end up in tears, e.g. The Constant Gardener. Good movie. But so sad!

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #805 on: August 25, 2008, 07:15:34 AM »
Anybody seen this documentary?

The Linguists

Scientists estimate that of 7,000 languages in the world, half will be gone by the end of this century. On average, one language disappears every two weeks. THE LINGUISTS follows David Harrison and Gregory Anderson, scientists racing to document languages on the verge of extinction. David and Greg’s ‘round-the-world journey takes them deep into the heart of the cultures, knowledge, and communities at stake. In Siberia, David and Greg seek to record the Chulym language, which hasn’t been heard by outsiders for more than thirty years. The linguists encounter remnants of the racist Soviet regime that may have silenced Chulym for good. In India, tribal children attend boarding schools, where they learn Hindi and English, a trade, and the pointlessness of their native tongues. Similar boarding schools for tribal children existed in the US through most of the twentieth century. David and Greg travel to the children’s villages, where economic unrest has stirred a violent Maoist insurgency. The linguists witness the fear and poverty that have driven youth from their native communities. In Bolivia, the Kallawaya language has survived for centuries with fewer than one hundred speakers. David and Greg trek high into the Andes to unlock its secret.

« Reply #806 on: August 25, 2008, 11:49:23 PM »
Finally watched The Royal Tannenbaums start to finish.  Laughed quietly from start to finish.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #807 on: August 26, 2008, 12:03:20 AM »
Stil, did you find that one in the DVD markets, or download??  It sounds interesting.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #808 on: August 28, 2008, 03:25:02 AM »
Stickmen and Scarfies - both NZ movies.  Both good in different ways.  Stickmen is about guys playing in a pool competition.  Scarfies about 5 uni students sharing a flat in Dunedin  and when they move in they discover a great marijuana plantation in the basement.

Then the 'owner' of the plants comes back...

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #809 on: September 19, 2008, 06:32:47 AM »
 Just finished watching Stoned...a very interesting film about the life and death of Rolling Stones founder Brian Jones. While I suspect there is a lot of fiction in there, it is nevetheless a very insightful look at one one of the 60's most enigmatic musical figures.

And I just started Oz. Brilliant stuff. Brutal.