Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies

woza

Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #315 on: October 06, 2007, 11:46:33 PM »
I was listening to Radio National this morning, Australian radio.  The movie reviews come on and one host and presenter that I really like said, she liked The Devil in Prada, now all the respect I had for her, not the movie reviewer, went right out the window.  I do tend to judge intelligence on what movies people like.  Missi you are up there darling.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #316 on: October 07, 2007, 12:26:09 AM »
The book was way better than the movie.  I was really disappointed with Meryl Streep in it as well.

« Reply #317 on: October 07, 2007, 12:50:58 AM »
I watched on the plane. Of course books are way better but compare to other Harry Potter movies I liked this one the best.

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #318 on: October 07, 2007, 09:06:22 AM »
 Watched Rob Zombie's re-make of Halloween tonight. Started as everything a re-make should be...a completely different take on the same story. However at the halfway point it really went downhill. The main characters of the original film were treated as an afterthought here and the character played by Jamie Lee Curtis in the original was so unsymapthetic that you pretty much want to root for her to get offed.

The original Halloween contained minimal violence and relied on atmosphere for it's chills. Rob Zombie's version was interseting to a point but not scary in the least.

Having heard his latest CD and seen his latest movie I'm glad Rob Zombie has gone back to making music. As a director he simply doesn't seem to know how to create horror without unrelenting ugliness and nihillism.

woza

« Reply #319 on: October 07, 2007, 01:48:37 PM »
Talking about zombie movies hve you watched Fido?  Twenty Eight Days After, is brilliant, the prequel to Twenty Eight Days later, takes Zombie movies to the next level.

« Reply #320 on: October 07, 2007, 02:19:20 PM »
300 Collector's Edition on DVD was great, it has some awesome extras, maybe you guys can grab a pirated copy of the 2nd disk.

Troy Director's Cut lifted the movie to a whole new level, Odysseus has a lot more scenes, Ajax shows up and gets some screen time, the battle scenes are longer, more brutal and more bloody.  All around better than the original.

The Kingdom was good, not great however. Peter Berg did a great job directing it by keeping the pacing tight, the humor subtle and some intensity in every scene.  The last 30 minutes are pulse pounding. 

Heartbreak Kid was good but not near the normal funny output of Ben Stiller.  I can't put my finger on quite what was wrong but it wasn't nearly as good as his last 4 or 5 films.   Worth seeing but Knocked Up and Superbad are still the funniest films this year IMHO.

The things we touch have no permanence.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #321 on: October 07, 2007, 02:21:29 PM »
There is no next level for Zombie movies! Zombie movies are fodder for the brain-dead! Most horror films are, actually. A REAL horror film would be one in which the beautiful heroine gets killed/raped/ripped-to-pieces/spiflicated/whatever, and the tough hero likewise, and the evil triumphs! The monster actually wins!!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Confuciusly Confused

• The Chinese are tripping me out!
« Reply #322 on: October 08, 2007, 02:11:35 AM »
George... that would be good.  Kinda like seeing the Coyote actually catch the Road Runner.  Always wanted to see that.

Watched Silent Hill the other night, and it was terrible!

My fave "horror" movies are still the Evil Dead series with Bruce Campbell.  They are hilarious!

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #323 on: October 08, 2007, 02:38:27 AM »
I'm not a zombie movie buff but I was bored the other night and watched the new Robert Rodriguez flick, Planet Terror.  It was hillarious.
I am still learning. Michelangelo

« Reply #324 on: October 09, 2007, 02:51:18 AM »
Missi, if you dig I, Claudius, go buy Rome.  Hurry!

Troy has a director's cut!?
 oooooooooo
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #325 on: October 09, 2007, 04:57:22 PM »
Just saw AWAY FROM HER,based on the Alice Munro short story THE BEAR CAME OVER THE MOUNTAIN. This film deals intelligently with the heartbreaking Alzheimer's disease. Julie Christie plays the role of Fiona with great composure and dignity. I will not be surprised if she is nominated for an Oscar. Since I have misspent my youth and the doctor says that I can't drink or smoke and the list goes on etc,I go to the movies about three times a week. I thoroughly recommend this film, and Granny Mae doesn't say that about too many of them.

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #326 on: October 09, 2007, 05:47:01 PM »
Just watched a great Kiwi horror flick called Black Sheep. Far and away the best movie about killer, flesh eating sheep I've ever seen.

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #327 on: October 09, 2007, 06:23:47 PM »
Er, how many, exactly, is that?
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

« Reply #328 on: October 09, 2007, 08:55:28 PM »
That one, and Terms of Endearment. 
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

woza

« Reply #329 on: October 09, 2007, 11:08:20 PM »
Grannie Mai
I have heard some good things about this movie and the very young director.  I read her interview on the internet, talking about her time working with Terry Gillian when she was 8 years old.  Check it out.
Missi just finished watching I Claudius, I did not remember Patrick Stewart then, from the first time I watched the series.  He was made famous by Star Trek.
Maybe you should say to Con, "why don't you watch I Claudius."  I enjoyed Rome as well.
Zombies do walk amongst us.  They can even post on the internet.