Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #1485 on: January 26, 2013, 03:36:40 PM »
]

The dialogue, drama and accurate portrayal of the time period are spot on.

Brings you back to your childhood eh Casey? uuuuuuuuuu

ooooooh, nasty little dig there. LOL

Too bad George didn't comment on watching 10,000 BC.  We could have asked if it reminded him of being middle aged. ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1486 on: January 26, 2013, 04:22:49 PM »
I've got Argo, Lincoln, Django Unchained and season 2 of Boardwalk Empire downloaded, for the long lonely Spring Festival nights.

I occurs to me that I go a little loopy around this time of year every year.

I think I will start a thread
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

eggcluck

• Still standing
« Reply #1487 on: January 27, 2013, 07:30:41 PM »
Saw Argo and Lincoln, Lincoln was entertaining enough. Though I found Argo to be quite boring.

But maybe thats due to the lack of blinky lights and things going boom. I am not exactly a refined movie goer..
Still standing

« Reply #1488 on: January 27, 2013, 10:10:32 PM »
Silver Linings Playbook - once you realise it's a romantic comedy, you can relax a little, because it does start out pretty damn tense, but I liked this film because there's some laugh out loud moments of genuine, human comedy. It doesn't hit all of its notes right, but it's a pretty good movie anyway.

bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Monkey King

« Reply #1489 on: January 28, 2013, 01:21:12 AM »
Searching for Sugarman  - a quirky music documentary

A-Train

« Reply #1490 on: January 28, 2013, 04:58:31 AM »
Silver Linings Playbook - ...there's some laugh out loud moments of genuine, human comedy. It doesn't hit all of its notes right, but it's a pretty good movie anyway.

bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

That was about my take on it too. Alternately too quirky and brutally realistic. But a waste of De Niro and Jackie Weaver. Do you think this movie really deserves Best Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor and Supporting Actress nominations?  The last two did not seem nearly weighty enough for the honors. But I have to say, NOT being a Bradley Cooper fan, that he was perfect in this one. No sunshine-eyes or gleaming teeth, just the right amount of craziness, sadness and optimism.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

old34

« Reply #1491 on: January 28, 2013, 07:52:57 AM »
Ok, it's not a movie or film, but this is the closest category that fits:

If you are in China with a VPN that runs through the U.S., or outside China and can stomach US TV for 45 minutes, , check out the link below on Hulu.

The Jimmy Kimmel Show was after my time in the U.S. but his show a couple of nights ago (full episode at the link) might go down in late night television history. Great concept, even eater execution. And enough bits and pieces to interest most of the native English diaspora that populates this board. Watch:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/449446?playlist_id=1031&asset_scope=all
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

A-Train

« Reply #1492 on: January 28, 2013, 07:47:01 PM »
That (Matt Damon) bit is awesome. They've been doing this gag for a long time. Kimmel's wife, Sarah Silverman, even released this video. Should be an accompaniment to your link.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSfoF6MhgLA
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #1493 on: January 28, 2013, 08:41:55 PM »
But I have to say, NOT being a Bradley Cooper fan, that he was perfect in this one. No sunshine-eyes or gleaming teeth, just the right amount of craziness, sadness and optimism.

Yep, him and the Hunger Games chick worked really well together. Were the story a shade darker, perhaps Bobbie and Jackie could've had more substance too. The elements were there though, so....

« Reply #1494 on: January 31, 2013, 12:03:54 AM »
Generation Kill

7 episode HBO miniseries written by the guys from The Wire and based on a book written by a Rolling Stone reporter describing his time riding along with 1st Recon at the beginning of the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

The aim apparently was to be true to what actually happened, so if the people who actually experienced it looked it over, they would say it was real. This means the series as a whole has no particular resolution, since there wasn't one in the real story, and this kind of detracts from the viewing experience. But if you can forgive that, then each episode stands out as some kind of horrible gem of storytelling. Very taut episodes, very marine's eye view.

« Reply #1495 on: January 31, 2013, 12:12:40 AM »
Generation Kill

Yeah good series. 'Taut' is a good word to describe it.

It's directed/written by David Simon, right? The guy who wrote The Wire?

Have you also watched Treme? His series about New Orleans after Katrina? I started but didn't finish, might try again.
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

A-Train

« Reply #1496 on: January 31, 2013, 03:05:08 AM »
Generation Kill

Have you also watched Treme? His series about New Orleans after Katrina? I started but didn't finish, might try again.

It's worth a watch. Great actors and good dialogue but it didn't really quite gel like "The Wire". If you haven't been exposed to the New Orleans' Mardi Gras and St. Joseph's Day Parade culture though, it's an eye-opener.

Pearl S. Buck

rattie

« Reply #1497 on: January 31, 2013, 03:20:40 AM »
There are some movies you shouldn't watch alone after a few beers....I always take the recommendations of the forum on board and try to see them, usually entertained and amused..but this evening I watched The Killing Fields, first time ever.
When it was released I was a member of what remained of the Australian Communist Party and obviously any film that won awards in America had to be crap  bbbbbbbbbb so I never saw it before.
It's a while ago now, many things have changed, hopefully me too  ababababab
I cried for almost 2 bloody hours.
I'm not even sure this post belongs in the movie thread, this was a really harrowing experience and not holiday viewing at all.
I think I had better take the dog out to have a play outside now. Bloody hell  bibibibibi
Rx

« Reply #1498 on: February 01, 2013, 12:00:18 AM »
Haven't seen Treme. Or maybe I have. Somewhere on some TV I saw a "real life" show set in New orleans that appeared to be some version of Big Brother. A bunch of beautiful people plus some recogniseable actor faces where holed up in a factory or something trying to build a boat and there were marauding Others doing something around them.... I have assumed for some time that this was Treme, but presumably it isn't.

In any case, one can't watch too many Simon and Burns shows all at once. Imma rewatch Generation Kill first.

A-Train

« Reply #1499 on: February 01, 2013, 06:32:15 AM »
A bunch of beautiful people plus some recogniseable actor faces where holed up in a factory or something trying to build a boat and there were marauding Others doing something around them.... I have assumed for some time that this was Treme, but presumably it isn't.

No, but that does sound like my teachers' lounge; minus the beautiful people part. Tremme is set quite some time in the aftermath of Katrina; after the the floods have receded and people are dealing with the aftermath. The apocalyptic, zombie thing is more like pre-Katrina. Steve Zahn, Melissa Leo and John Goodman are in it.

Pearl S. Buck