A subject close to many of our hearts

• 57 replies

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
Re: A subject close to many of our hearts
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2007, 04:34:39 PM »
Li Quan beer gives me headaches and the runs after about a bottle. I won't drink it. Tastes OK, and maybe made with spring water (for what that's worth here) but they use acetone to clean the bottles.

Not for me.

TsingTao at least has been shown to have cleaned the acetone out after they use it, no traces left. There was a thread on Raoul's one on this. I think I may have started it, because I saw this documented. Or maybe I just added to it, I can't recall.

I trust TsingTao, not sure about others.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

Newbs

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2007, 10:50:48 PM »
nobody is right  uuuuuuuuuu

There was a thread about this in the original saloon.  I remember non-Dave telling us that the beer of Haerbin, which was called Hapi, was a bloody nice beer.  I've yet to get up to Haerbin to sample same, but one day...

Newbs

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2007, 11:05:36 PM »
and I found the thread
Thanks very much folks! What I thought would be a quiet and normal non-birthday turned into a busy and enjoyable one. Visits from some of my teaching colleagues bearing gifts, lunch with a very nice young Chinese lady, a long chat with the family in Oz and a big dinner and the best birthday cake I've had since I was eight! Oh yeah, and lots of Harbin Beer ( a local brew that puts Boags Premium and Cascade to shame).

I love China....

This was from October 2005 when non-Dave replied to all our good wishes re him turning 98 er, whatever.

old34

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2007, 11:23:51 PM »
When I lived in Dongbei long, long ago, Hapi was a really good beer. I had it in Ha'erbin when I was there. You could sometimes get it in better Liaoning restaurants. Last summer, I was back in Liaoning for a week and Hapi was everywhere but it didn't taste as good as I remembered. And the local brews were gone.

My Chinese friends told me the company had bought out all of the local brewers in the area and now brewed Hapi locally in the old breweries. Then I looked on the bottle and saw that Hapi is now owned by Anheuser-Busch. So putting 2 and 2 together, I'm guessing AB wants to make Hapi the Chinese Budweiser. More's the shame.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2007, 09:05:32 PM »
nobody is right  uuuuuuuuuu

There was a thread about this in the original saloon.  I remember non-Dave telling us that the beer of Haerbin, which was called Hapi, was a bloody nice beer.  I've yet to get up to Haerbin to sample same, but one day...

Here we have one just called Harbin, which is very nice as far as the real cheapies go (it's 2.5 RMB with 0.5 reimbursable on the bottle)
It is too early to say.

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2007, 09:07:10 PM »
I do hope people realise that some bottle tops are gift vouchers for another free bottle...

Look for:

再来一瓶
If it wasn't for my wife, I never would have realised...
It is too early to say.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2007, 10:23:04 PM »
Hapi still seems to be pretty good. It's definitely national now; it's sold widely in Suzhou... jjjjjjjjjj
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

old34

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2007, 11:43:05 PM »
I do hope people realise that some bottle tops are gift vouchers for another free bottle...

Which is why when you go to restaurants and order beer, the waitresses always insist on opening the bottles and take away the cap. Watch next time. You'll see them peek at the cap.

Similarly, Coke and Pepsi often run gift promos on the pull tabs (cans) and bottle caps (bottles). That's why the waitresses will insist on opening the can/bottle and pouring the Coke/Pepsi into your glass. Watch her check out the the pulltab/cap as she walks away from the table.

Hey! I hope they win something. Most of them could use a boost like that.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2007, 02:57:23 AM »
Yes, I sure wouldn't begrudge someone on a fraction of my salary (who doesn't even get the benefits of tipping like western waitresses and waiters do) a free beer (or indeed coke)... agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag

Slightly off topic, but if I'm walking along and one of those little old ladies collecting old plastic bottles comes along, and I've got one on me, I'll just give them to her.  My friend's wife made one of those ladies PAY him for the plastic bottle he had!   asasasasas asasasasas asasasasas asasasasas asasasasas asasasasas asasasasas asasasasas asasasasas asasasasas asasasasas asasasasas asasasasas asasasasas asasasasas asasasasas asasasasas asasasasas asasasasas asasasasas asasasasas asasasasas
It is too early to say.

Monkey King

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2007, 02:20:30 PM »
Who do you claim your 'yi ping' from if you win?  The place where you bought your beer?  Or do you have to send off for it and wait six to eight weeks for it to arrive in the post?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 06:39:20 PM by MK »

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2007, 03:08:42 PM »
Who do you claim your 'yi ping' from if you win?  The place where you bought your beer?  Or do you have to send off for it and wait six to eight weeks for it too arrive in the post?

:D Just give it to the shop where you bought the bottle.  agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag
It is too early to say.

phets72

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2007, 06:51:56 PM »
I can back up N-D here.  Hapi was truely wonderful stuff.  Can't stand the task of the sh@#t here in Oz anymore, it's disgusting.  AAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhh Hapi (insert Homer Simpson here).

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2007, 10:50:35 AM »
Having the choice of Hapi or KuGua in the North, I've always
opted for KuGua. Which proves that I agree with myself completely today.
And that is rare.   agagagagag

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2007, 11:53:19 AM »
am I the only one who drank Carlsburg in China?

George

• My view of China
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2007, 12:27:31 PM »
am I the only one who drank Carlsburg in China?
Of course not!! bibibibibi

Depends on where you are drinking........
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/