THIS IS CHINA (love it or leave it)

• 49 replies
THIS IS CHINA (love it or leave it)
« on: November 25, 2010, 03:24:25 PM »
This is just a pet peeve of mine. I hate it when people say, "This is China." It usually reflects some sort of all-encompassing negative projection onto China, and then a rubric in which the listener has to accept it as it is or be vanquished.

When I first moved to China I had a really shitty apartment. It had, as a Chinese friend described it, 3 problems: 1) It's old. 2) It's ugly. 3) It's broken. My apartment was the bleakest dwelling I'd ever had the displeasure to enter. Grease completely covered the windows in the kitchen, the floor was black around all the edges, it reeked of cigarette smoke, the toilet was sunk in the floor and surrounded by a puddle, the furniture was all the cheapest possible variety (and broken), and a single bare bulb hung from the ceiling by a cord in the "living room".

When I complained about this, I would here things like, "This is China." My response would be, "Yes, and in my apartment building, the other apartments are MUCH nicer. They have real curtains and not Snoopy pull down blinds. They have wooden furniture and not just plastic chairs and one rickety rusted metal chair." Indeed, there were plenty of plush apartments, and I had absolutely the worst unit in my apartment complex.

When I objected to some unfair situation at work, another teacher (who was basically a good guy) would often say, "This is China, it's not your job to change it." My gut reaction was I didn't like being told I was powerless and must acquiesce. A little part of my mind up and said, "FUCK THAT! I'm not just going to TAKE IT!" I like to think I have some power and control over my life, even if I live in China, and I can steer things to my advantage. So, when we were told we had to work one weekend because of protests, for example, my friend dutifully went to his classes and I bailed out and took a trip. I didn't have to accept it and there weren't any repercussions. And if there had been, as Socrates famously said, "The unknown is always preferable to a known evil."

Sometimes people will pull out the "This is China" card if I express disgust at some behavior like hawking goobers on the floor in restaurants. Even Chinese people can't stand people cutting in line in front of them, for example, so if I can't stand it I don't need to be told, "This is China."

lastly, I resent the "This is China" statement, because it also implies the speaker knows more about China than I do and can express exactly what China is, as if it were so easily any one implacable thing. There's also the two-fold condescension, that the listener has less of a grasp on China and reality in general, and the arrogance of simplifying China and Chinese as intractably behind.

China is an extremely large and disparate place, and no one label or utterance encompasses all of it. Some cities don't allow honking, for example, while in others not-honking is tantamount to a celibate life. Dege is completely different from Lanzhou which is completely different from Yangshuo which is completely different from Xi'an… There are "no spitting" signs posted in the city I live in, so how is it not accepting China to find spitting disgusting when there are signs posted saying is unhygienic and disgusting.

When someone says, "This is China," I want to say back, "This is the Milky Way." [in other words, don't pigeon hole China and me in it.]

suddenly it become more of a statement to NOT have a tattoo…

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: THIS IS CHINA (love it or leave it)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 03:28:57 PM »
This is our test lab.  Now run through the maze like a good mouse and we might give you some cheese. xxxxxxxxxx
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 03:49:58 PM »
excellent excellent rant

it applies to chinese and western thinking about china

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 06:56:50 PM »
I'm a feisty gal, so I don't accept bad behavior. Does that mean I'm imposing my American values on random Chinese people that exhibit bad manners? I don't think so. Don't cut in line and I won't lecture you about bad manners. Don't honk your horn like a lunatic while playing chicken with little old ladies on four lane highways and I won't yell at you. Simple.

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 07:38:43 PM »
I guess this is in response to what I said about being watched in China on the surveillance thread. I mean it is fine to not like certain things about China Ben-Dan, but there are certain things you really can't change.  Saying "f-you, I'm not going to stand for that" everytime you run up against some aspect of life in China that you find distasteful might work sometimes, but certainly not all the time, and sometimes could possibly even backfire completely. You have to choose your battles. I don't see what's so awful about aknowledging that this is a different culture with different rules and that while we may not like those rules we shouldn't be surprised if no one goes out of their way to change them on our behalf.

Borkya

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 10:33:11 PM »
My hubby hates it when students say "We Chinese...." followed by some general statement because he say it leads to over generalizations. (Especially as two students will contradict themselves often times and we don't know who/what to believe!)

But then I have to remind him that we say "in America we..." or even worse, "In western culture we..." and then we proceed to generalize half of the planet. Especially as he teaches culture class which is basically built on generalizations and explaining our culture in a few sound bites.

What I'm getting at is even though it is a pet peeve of yours, it is just something people say when there isn't really much else to say. I'm mean really, you see someone spit a giant loogey in front of you and you complain about it out loud even I might respond with "this is china" because really, what else is there to say? (except maybe, "yep--that's gross.") 

Anyway, I don't think it is meant to put you down and imply you know less than the speaker. I don't read that into it when people tell me that either. It's more just a response to a situation that you are upset about that the other person isn't is the way I see it. 

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 02:20:27 AM »
IMO, "This is China" is equal to "Well, (shrug) what can you do?"

Not "Aren't you aware of the obvious, you newbie twit?"

But yeah, I pick my battles. Right now, my campaign is for the availability of butter in my town.

But, good on ya for fighting the good fight!

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 02:26:09 AM »
This is China means:

You are in a taxi and about 500 yards from the intersection. Your green light has only 7 seconds before it changes. By some miracle, your driver not only makes it through, he doesn't kill or maim anyone.

Then at the next intersection, you are only 50 yards away with a minute 20. And yet, you end up waiting for the next green light. He didn't make it because he was too slow  

mmmmmmmmmm
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

old34

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 03:04:15 AM »

But yeah, I pick my battles. Right now, my campaign is for the availability of butter in my town.

When I lived in a small, butter-less town years ago, a "western-style" bakery opened. Yeah, they had to have butter to make some of the stuff they baked (badly). I just asked the manager if I could buy a hunk of their better (after buying a bag full of their baked shyte. He agreed and I had a butter supplier.

Try one of the myriad of local bake shops that have sprung up everywhere in even the smallest of towns. Become a good customer and ask them if you can buy some of their butter every now and then. TIC, it should work.  bfbfbfbfbf
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 03:05:42 AM »
This is China means: He didn't make it because he was too slow  

These guys have never even considered using second gear.
They lug their engines constantly. Drives me batty!

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 11:44:05 PM »
FYI we get the same thing here - local variant is "Only in Israel" and is applied to positive and negatives alike.For example by coincidence the person you sit next to on a long journey turns out to be a relative of a student (or similar thing- since the whole country is tiny, only 7 mill people everyone is related to everyone) or alternatively in the negative version you get screwed by some government official with some bureaucratic bungle. Everyone thinks that these things only happen in "their" country. In fact these things happen everywhere. I think the inflection of the phrase some kind of love-hate relationship with the place you call home.It's like the way you relate to a wayward but beloved uncle- he has foibles but you forgive him cos he is so adorable and dear to you.
Does that make any sense?
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 11:55:23 PM »
This is China translates to 'shut the fuck up, you are boring me with your constant whining'

I agree it can be annoying because it's passive aggressive and delivered with a smile.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 11:56:44 PM »

This is just a pet peeve of mine.

You seem to have a lot of pets.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 06:34:37 PM »
What do you mean Ben-Dan?

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 10:29:27 PM »
What do you mean Ben-Dan?

what do you mean what do I mean? Not sure what you're addressing. Sure, there are a lot of little things that annoy me, and some big ones. It's an imperfect world and a lot of it's, well, if I had to grade it: failing.

Oh, if you mean what else came to mind? Hairdressers. They seem to have some sort of license to harass foreigners. Had a group of them calling out stuff to me this morning, "where you going?," shit like that. Coming back the same way I crossed the street to avoid them, without ever looking at them or acknowledging them, and they were yelling at me from across the street.

That and the two people who cut in front of me in line at KFC when I was trying to get a coffee to go.

But, I wasn't going to go into that stuff. It's pretty typical. Non-stop actually. All part of the big picture.

Well ....... wait for it ........ This is China