gmail troubles

• 44 replies

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
Re: gmail troubles
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2011, 08:05:03 PM »
Apparently the problem is that the GFW is blocking Google's https servers. If you don't log on via https, there are supposed to be fewer problems, but I haven't tried.

xwarrior

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2011, 11:39:52 PM »
I've had loads of problems with Gmail too.

I am not sure that the wall has suddenly got higher .... well, not much higher than way back in 2006.

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/7246-gmail-unusable-in-china/

PS Maybe, some day, someone will invent a reasonably reliable method of delivering email ... and they will call it 'hotmail'.
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

xwarrior

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2011, 05:24:35 PM »
PS Maybe, some day, someone will invent a reasonably reliable method of delivering email ... and they will call it 'hotmail'.

I am guilty of pissing into the wind ... again  bibibibibi

For the last 2 days I have had problems accessing Hotmail. Same symptoms as those experienced with gmail in recent days.

I am getting:

1. Error 101 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET): Unknown error.
2. it opens into Hotmail but I cannot open any mail

- Bette Midler

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 05:35:17 PM »
I totally stopped using Hotmail 6 years ago when I first came to China.  Hotmail was down 90% of the time and I couldn't get my mail   bibibibibi    asasasasas

Hotmail has been better for some teachers still using it since then. However, my knowledge is only second hand now. 
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

old34

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 02:18:06 PM »
Google is now confirming problems on the China side:
http://is.gd/99vWkn
(link is to a Washington Poststory today)

I note that the Google says it's a problem with TGFW messing with web access to Gmail.

I've never had a problem with Gmail (3 addresses), but I always use an email application for all my email. Outlook Express and Outlook when I was stupid enough to run Windows, and Apple Mail now.

I could never figure out why anyone would access their email through the internet rather than on their computer where you can read it offline and save all the messages, etc. Yahoo (U.S.) charges for that, but Yahoo Australia does not (last time I checked). And even poor Hotmail can be set up for access through Outlook.

If you're still having trouble with Gmail, try setting it up to send and receive through your computer email program. If you don't know how, spend the 15 minutes to RTFM.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Monkey King

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 02:28:04 PM »
There was a great pod-cast at China Policy Pod about recent tinkerings with the GFW that I was going to link to, but it has since been pulled offline - presumably to stop the site getting banned in China.  It's getting seriously Big-Brotherish in here!

Tuco

• Let me go and I'll pardon you.
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011, 06:18:50 PM »
hey gmail user here too. why is it all going down?
well i am unable to find any real answers.

Can hardly ever use Gtalk, half the time my login to gmail(if i get the login page) goes blank and if i do manage to get in, its slow.

what's up with dat?

It could be serious filtering, the earthquake?, gmail having issues?

who knows but if its a filter, i thought a VPN may help but i always use free ones. I am cheap.

Certainly most people use google for search and in China they like to use Baidu as well.

there must be many "men in the  middle" trying to stop these things.

that's fine with me. I have nothing to hide anyway. ha

waste
When you have shoot, shoot, don't talk.

fox

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2011, 06:35:23 PM »
yeah, the GFW is to blame yet again. one of the little griefs of living in china - i still reckon the benefits far outway these tho'

http://www.technology.am/google-accuses-china-of-blocking-gmail-reuters-042008.html
regard man as a mine rich in gems of inestimable value.

Monkey King

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2011, 06:59:20 PM »

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 10:45:55 PM »
Between Gmail issues and \/PN gateways now mostly blocked, China's dream of becoming the first nation-wide intranet is becoming a reality.

I love how \/\/en J goes on national television and claims that China isn't the slightest bit worried about the rebellions in the Middle East and then 15 seconds later my \/PN gets the shit kicked out of it.

blblblblbl
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges. - Jack Handey

Tuco

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2011, 11:19:56 PM »
hear hear

xwarrior

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2011, 05:27:25 AM »
Gmail In China Not Working As It Should. The Cloud In China As Pie In The Sky?

from ChinaLaw Blog ... confirming a few things that we have experienced

http://www.chinalawblog.com/2011/03/gmail_in_china_not_working_as_it_should_the_cloud_in_china_as_pie_in_the_sky.html
- Bette Midler

Tuco

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2011, 11:16:35 PM »
today it was ok actually.

no more gmail?

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2011, 04:27:02 AM »
My gmail has worked all along ... no issues whatsoever. Is it possibly because I use Cable internet and not ADSL?

Tuco

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2011, 03:24:33 PM »
@ local dialect.
That is possible. I think it's probably a good choice. Could you pm me? I tried but it doesn't work. Thanks.