What are you listening to on your cd player/ mp san??

• 1187 replies
Re: What are you listening to on your cd player/ mp san??
« Reply #375 on: July 20, 2010, 04:07:13 AM »
Thanks mlaeux

I've downloaded some, and I'm looking forward to a bit of variety for tomorrow's run. Cheers

Damballah

• Living in a self-delusional world!
« Reply #376 on: July 20, 2010, 01:43:47 PM »
Justice  - "A Cross the Universe".  Good music to wake up and get you out of bed. :)
"At your worst, at your best...who cares? They really aren't that much different anyway, and neither are particularly missed or wanted here anyway." - Marilyn Manson

« Reply #377 on: July 20, 2010, 08:19:48 PM »
Benn, go with Yeah Yeah Yeahs.  They gots the beat.

Listened to St. Vincent- forget Vampire Weekend, this chick is THE poo.  akakakakak
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #378 on: August 23, 2010, 04:07:49 AM »
Calach, gotta send my deepest thanks for bringing Dengue Fever and their Venus On Earth album to my attention! bjbjbjbjbj agagagagag akakakakak :respect:

Had it a while but couldn't play it...I could only find it in FLAC format, and it took a while to sort out how to play the damn thing...a mystery I solved by going back to WinAmp, which may currently be the only audio media player worth having. bfbfbfbfbf

But...OMG this is good! akakakakak
Who'da ever thunka something like this coming out of CAMBODIA??!?!?!? ararararar

Meanwhile, by all means get Dethklok's Dethalbum II...damn near as good as the first one, which only continues to get better on a daily basis. akakakakak
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 11:10:42 AM by Raoul Duke »
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
« Reply #379 on: August 23, 2010, 11:05:46 AM »
I'm currently listening to The Segovia Collection and Howard Frye's Gypsy Mandolin! as I put the finishing touches on my dissertation.

WinAmp, which may currently be the only audio media player worth having. bfbfbfbfbf
Proving true what they used to say:

"It really whips the llama's ass."

« Reply #380 on: August 23, 2010, 03:49:28 PM »
Calach, gotta send my deepest thanks for bringing Dengue Fever and their Venus On Earth album to my attention!

bfbfbfbfbf

I happened upon them by accident.  One episode of Weeds closes with a lengthy snippet from One Thousand Tears of a Tarantula and it was cool enough to send me off Googling for a title and Limewire opportunity.  Then not knowning nothing about them I randomly Youtubed "Dengue Fever" and the first link was to Seeing Hands.

There's an mp3 torrent out there somewhere, which may or may not be dead since I'm not seeing it show up on searches (edit: it's alihihihive!), but it's attached anyway.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 07:28:03 PM by Calach Pfeffer »
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #381 on: September 25, 2010, 07:18:06 PM »
I do not know how I found my way back to this, but years ago I saw a film called Walker - directed by Alex Cox (1987) - and remember being struck by the music that played in one particular scene.  I liked the music so much I actually held a cassette recorder to the television to record it.

Fast forward twenty-three years and a couple of clicks here and there send me down the rabbit hole.  Like rummaging around in the attic, finding items that you forgot you owned, I suddenly find a video of Alex Cox in 2008 re-reading the reviews that Walker received back in 1987.  During the short video he criticises a critic that had criticised Joe Strummer's film score.  Suddenly I remember the music and can see the scene: Ed Harris walking through the streets whilst chaos reigns around him.

Another search and I find the piece of music.  It has a name: Brooding Six.  Modern technology means that an Mp3 is just a few clicks away.  No need for the cassette recorder this time round.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #382 on: September 26, 2010, 01:58:20 AM »
Tech these days is crazy

I don't even need to Google anymore. I have an app on my phone that will listen to a piece of music (you can even hum) and tell you what it is. It only needs a few seconds.

I've found a lot of music I really enjoy this way.

The National
Dengue Fever
Beirut
Sa Dingding
Of Montreal

It's especially useful for Chinese music

« Reply #383 on: September 26, 2010, 02:24:53 AM »
That makes a good segue: I've been listening to Of Montreal a fair bit lately.  Really epic music.  And some buddies turned me on to Wire.  I had never heard of them before, but they've been active since the 70's.  Most their songs are less than 2 minutes long, and they've clearly been ripped off by all kinds of folks.  Turns out Elastica copied huge pieces of them.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #384 on: September 28, 2010, 11:13:52 PM »
FYI everyone, Jimmy Eat World's new album Invented is out today, and it is so far awesome

old34

« Reply #385 on: September 29, 2010, 03:08:15 AM »
Tech these days is crazy

I don't even need to Giggle anymore. I have an app on my phone that will listen to a piece of music (you can even hum) and tell you what it is. It only needs a few seconds.

A colleague and I went to a local Quiz Night recently. We weren't regulars so we got stuck on an irregular team. One of the irregualrs we got "stuck with" had an Android phone and it had this App on it. Though phones were verbotten, he managed to keep his hidden and when they were doing the music part of the quiz, he managed to get his Android phone to 'recognize" a couple of the songs we were stumped on. But we didn't use it to our advantage. No really, we didn't.  bfbfbfbfbf

But the technology amazed me...and I'm not easily amazed.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #386 on: October 04, 2010, 02:41:39 AM »
"Comptine d'un autre ete" by Yann Tiersen. Soundtrack to the film "Amelie".

The weather is too nice to be listening to this song though.

Tai_Li

• The waiting game, like the mating game.
    • My Band's Website
« Reply #387 on: October 05, 2010, 02:14:59 PM »
I got Sara Bareilles' new album sometime last month. She sang the ear worm "Love Song" that was the single on a very great album. This new one, Kaleidoscope Heart is good, if just a little undercooked. If you like syrupy sweet love songs, this one's a keeper. And everybody needs some of those in their lives now and then.
四是四
十是十
十四是十四
四十是四十

cobra

« Reply #388 on: October 08, 2010, 06:59:40 PM »
Shakira Waka Waka  . nice song))I like Patricia Kaas. awesome.)))

Riz

« Reply #389 on: October 11, 2010, 04:21:46 AM »
Muse-
Supermassive blackhole.
"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Short and funny quotes, Winston Churchill.