"To reach out to"

• 6 replies
"To reach out to"
« on: March 26, 2015, 09:31:39 PM »
Also, I would like you all to know that I disapprove of this new incarnation of whatever it was people on television used to say when they meant "to contact". I don't care if you reached out to your super special contacts at the FBI. If you wanted them to give you a hug, then fine. But if you were looking for information, I'd really prefer you make contact with them. If really must, you can hit them up. Merely reaching for them suggests you're not even trying.

Thank you.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
Re: "To reach out to"
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 03:23:41 PM »
This has touched me (almost). Thank you for reaching out.
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

eggcluck

• Still standing
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 02:04:10 PM »
Just more stupid business babble from suits trying to make themselves sound relevant/clever. The same sentiment can be extended to "going forward". Though that one is not as " new and as hip" as the business buffoons think it is, "moving on, pressing forward, going forward into the..." all spring to mind.

I think there was a online comic called Dilbert(?) that had a boss that would spew the business babble every meeting, with the point of his hip phrases section  begin that he actually says nothing at all. But get applauds from the higher ups for being "edgy".
Still standing

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 06:33:01 PM »
I wonder if it's not a politics thing. Television shows are using it, one of the most egregious over-users that I otherwise like to watch is The Blacklist. And I've seen it in news-mag websites "Reach out to our friends at..." It seems like the kind of jargon that would have no reasons to leak out of the bizno-sphere, but if it were a phrase loved by Washington people, then maybe.

And you can dial that in.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 04:22:21 AM »
it all comes from a ma-bell advertising campaign in the 60s when the slogan was reach out and touch someone. As a business/marketing teacher I would hope that you would be able to understand and use this as an example of how advertising/marketing can influence the language itself through slogans. As Nike would say - Just do it.
 agagagagag

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 07:55:57 PM »
Ahhh...marketing and influence. Let's put the blame where it really belongs, Edward Bernays. One man's genius is another man's devil. Much thanks to him the USA got into WWI and became a nation of cigarette smokers.

The Torches of Freedom burn ever so brightly. I've got tits and a pussy and I need a fag.

Personally I think he was an evil genius and people just wanna follow because it's a shitload easier than leading. Just ask a Korean.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 10:49:40 PM »
I tried reaching out and touching people, until they all started filing restraining orders. ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com