Worst Ad Eva
« on: March 22, 2013, 11:47:18 PM »
Ultimately, a very cool app, and yet...

WORST WHITE MAN EVAJH!

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTI2NjExNDg4.html
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Re: Worst Ad Eva
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 12:39:21 AM »
You know why I am old?  I'll tell you why I am old!  I have no idea what this is (much like the guy who is talking about it) but I still instinctively disapprove of it and think that the way the word "exists" is used in this advert is a symptom of some terrible social decline of some kind.

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 01:00:51 AM »
IF this is the pinnacle of human endeavour today to produce a Pizza ap then it makes me sad.
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 01:27:14 AM »
IF this is the pinnacle of human endeavour today to produce a Pizza ap then it makes me sad.

Thomas DeQuincey wrote something once which, with a little amendment, fits this situation quite well I think:

Quote from: Thomas DeQuincey
It contributes much to these feelings [of dread and awe], that South-Eastern Asia is, and has been for thousands of years, the part of the earth most swarming with human life, the great officina gentium. Man is a weed in those regions. The vast empires, also, into which the enormous population of Asia has always been cast, give a further sublimity to the feelings associated with all Oriental names or images. In China Japan, over and above what it has in common with the rest of Southern Asia, I am terrified by the modes of life, by the manners, by the barrier of utter abhorrence placed between myself and them, by counter-sympathies deeper than I can analyse. I could sooner live with lunatics, with vermin, with crocodiles or snakes. All this, and much more than I can say, the reader must enter into, before he can comprehend the unimaginable horror which these dreams of Oriental imagery and mythological tortures impressed upon me.

The antidote to this is literature.

Yes.  Literature.

(There's no emoticon to express gently rocking backwards forwards to escape the terrible futureshock of cyberpunk Asia, but if there was one, that would be here now).

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 01:52:20 AM »
the dude is Dominos Japan prez.

Hatsune Miku is, as he says, vocaloid. She's kinda old skool now but she's was the breakout singing-voice synth program that got the scene going. The scene is mostly Japanese, based around Nico Nico Douga, a members only site where people make stuff--music, art, videos--which they post to share. Once shared, they get coopted and themes and image trends start. One big thing is making music, having a vocaloid sing, then adding video, sometimes computer generated, sometimes real people. (From which scene did Danceroid emerge, I luvs them.)

The existence of this large social media sharing community has marketers loosing their shit. Miku is everywhere in Japan and almost nowhere in English-speaking countries. This ad, and a bunch of dumb spots for Toyota, are attempts to cashing in, but they HAVE NO IDEA!

When Japanese co-opt western culture, you get stuff like Crazy Night. When Dominos co-opt Japanese you get freakish white men touching Mikus.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 01:54:53 AM »
I want an app that can fax me a pizza. ababababab

Oh wait, it's Dominoes, so it won't taste any better than paper anyway. bibibibibi
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 01:56:04 AM »
Plus, it's iphone.

Wouldn't see this on Android.

Monkey King

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 02:08:59 AM »
Anyone watch 'Archer'?  This is totally Krieger's anime hologram 'wife' (who gets tired of him!)

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 02:10:55 AM »
The reason his tie is so bad is because the animated doll is wearing one of the same colour.

This settles it.  If there is a shooting war over the Diaoyu Islands I am going to enlist in the Chinese navy.

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 02:14:50 AM »
THE ANIMATED DOLL IS NOT WEARING THE SAME AS HIM HE IS WEARING THE SAME AS HER!

The Miku Blue precedes this ad by about five years.

GAH!

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 02:27:38 AM »
THE ANIMATED DOLL IS NOT WEARING THE SAME AS HIM HE IS WEARING THE SAME AS HER!

Quite.  He is the President of an international company and he consented sport a shiny powder blue tie against a white shirt and dark navy blazer because a cartoon character was wearing something similar.

The world doesn't make sense to me anymore.

I am like the 60 year old janitor at the back of a Frank Zappa concert.  

I am accustomed to wandering through my surroundings in a fug of incomprehension but this is truly strange: a man with a bag of live ducks on a train; public defecation; swarms of old people walking backwards through parks at 5AM; goats grazing on the campus of my university. All normal.  A cartoon doll-thing in a tiny skirt which comes with your pizza?  I simply do not understand.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 02:42:13 AM by bobrage »

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 02:42:40 AM »
I really like a lot of Japanese culture, even some of the kawaii stuff. When you actually find out about how deep the rabbit hole goes it's pretty scary though.
A really popular computer 'game' in Japan is an anime style woman like that who you have as a girlfriend rather than having a real one...loons

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 02:58:39 AM »
To be fair, sorta--or at least hip--I suspect not even Dominos Japan are that dumb. They made the ad not bad but exploitable. People are already slicing it up and making new shorts, adding different music, change of focus, screwing with the words. The simple backgrounds, the badly scripted blurbs, even the awkward poses before camera... all exploitable and thus all able transmit the basic message along other remixes. Plus actually, he name checks a bunch of Japanese dudes who're probably actual people known on sites and are busy being recognised. None of those guys were shown lamely. Only the white dude is dumb.

But I love miku more than I love pizza.

/conflicted

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 03:02:52 AM »
A really popular computer 'game' in Japan is an anime style woman like that who you have as a girlfriend rather than having a real one...loons

Meanwhile, in Japan:

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 03:00:39 PM »
Unfortunate revelation: hi, I'm Scott.