Hobbies

• 25 replies
Re: Hobbies
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 04:41:59 AM »
I'm really into tea and tea-cups/pots. 

And also (scotch mostly) whiskey. Trying new sorts and slowly gaining an appreciation. Unlike tea I can't indulge this hobby everyday. *wuh*

两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 12:07:20 AM »
Does collecting special, famous, auspicious baijiu that comes in artistic containers count?
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 05:20:59 PM »
ETR nailed it. I may be a cranky, eccentric old bugger pottering about in my wherever, but I'm happy there, damn it!
Being organised does help with hobbies, as it does with so much in life. Or as one friend told me, "Life is too short for chess. But that's not the fault of chess"
Hobbies I've had and, well, not forgotten, but not had enough time for:
Running (I trained for marathons but never ran one), chess (I was a competitive player before China), guitar (still need to restring mine) photography (I'm terrible) writing short fiction(terrible), badminton (terrible), and volleyball (terrible with bad knees)
Oh, and teaching ESL/EFL. Yeah, it's my job, but I enjoy it too much to call it work so it must be a hobby.

Paul

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 07:41:13 AM »

And also (scotch mostly) whiskey.

Shock horror!  Whiskey is Irish.  Whisky is Scotch!  (-:

On the word 'hobby', I guess to many people, me included, it means stamp-collecting or train-spotting (or the Chinese equivalent, computer games). But if I'm asked by students, I tell them about (some of) the things I do in my free time: smoking, drinking, hiking, ornithology, people-watching, etc. 

Back home 'hobby' suggests some sad geezer with no friends, but that's just current usage.  I go with the spirit of the question, and am now happy to admit to having hobbies.

My early morning entertainment, when I'm not working, is to walk to the main road and choose by dice-throwing between: Babi Mantou breakfast for 3 kuai, 3.1% ABV breakfast for 2 kuai, 3.6% ABV breakfast for 2.5 kuai, no breakfast and a long walk for 0 kuai....

If I'm working, then the word 'hobby' always seems to end up with sorting out the confusion between 'hobby', 'hobbit' and 'habit'.

Monkey King

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 01:28:57 PM »
dice-throwing
There are six sides to a die...couldn't reveal the other options eh?

If I'm working, then the word 'hobby' always seems to end up with sorting out the confusion between 'hobby', 'hobbit' and 'habit'.

My favorite speaking exam answer ever (topic = problems in big cities):

"You know, some countryside people move to Nanjing, and they keep some bad hobbits..."

caley1313

• DH Allison, MBA, TESL
    • My Photo Gatherings
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 02:49:39 PM »
My hobby is uncovering sheer stupidity. Take today for example. I walked into an optometrist's office here in North Carolina. I asked the young, blonde receptionist if I could have an eye exam and possible prescription because I'm heading to the Middle Kingdom early next year. She immediately picks up on my accent. "You're from up north aren't you?" I reply that it be so, and that I am in fact a Canadian. "Oh, that's nice. Would you be from Omaha? I have a friend from there." I joke not. Such is life here in the southland, where the heat and humidity can take its toll. Heading to Shaoxing in February. Can't wait.
Carpe Diem, mi amigo, or...Seize the Big Fish as they say here in Carolina

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2012, 11:54:30 PM »
You enjoy exposing stupidity and you plan to move away from the Carolinas? mmmmmmmmmm
EscapedLunatic.com

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2012, 06:08:02 AM »

You enjoy exposing stupidity and you plan to move away from the Carolinas? mmmmmmmmmm

He is moving to China. His hobby is safe.

caley1313

• DH Allison, MBA, TESL
    • My Photo Gatherings
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2012, 01:28:08 PM »

He is moving to China. His hobby is safe.

Whew...thanks for the confirmation. I had my doubts with the lad's statement on leaving Carolina. Couldn't figure that one out.
Carpe Diem, mi amigo, or...Seize the Big Fish as they say here in Carolina

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2012, 05:05:30 PM »
I've always found China to be less stupid and more surreal.

For example, here the pretty receptionist would respond with something like "Can you use chopsticks?"
EscapedLunatic.com

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2012, 09:40:19 PM »
My hobby is collecting empty bottles.

Sounds much better than alcoholic