Uploading work for students

• 8 replies

Schnerby

Uploading work for students
« on: March 01, 2009, 11:56:48 PM »
Hi!

I want to set up a website with the powerpoints and other bits for my students to access. Any idea where/if I can do this for free?

Thanks

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
Re: Uploading work for students
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 02:12:57 AM »
Check your university website.  It is likely that they have bulletin boards etc for the students.  You can create one for each class, load the info there.  Ask the students to help you set it up.

Schnerby

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 03:15:44 AM »
My university website is in Chinese, so I will need a student to help.
Thanks!

old34

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 04:31:08 AM »
Go to Google Groups and set up a group for your students to join. Files and documents can be uploaded and dowloaded through the group. Plus you have the benefit of discussions and you can post a class calendar there, etc,etc. Lots of options on what to include, who can join, who can view, passwor-protection, and so on.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Foscolo

• Boom boom!
    • ELTpublishing
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 01:15:23 PM »
Google "free web hosting", and you'll find lots of companies willing to let you have a low-use website for free - they hope your needs will one day grow, and then you'll stick with them. Some are better than others, so check out a few and go for the one that gives you the most confident feeling.

If you circulate the full URLs to your students, you can just upload any kind of file and they can then download them. If you want to make a page of links for them to click on to downbload your files, you'll need to make a simple webpage. You can do that with Microsoft Word or Open Office StarWriter - just make you page with links to the file for downloading, and then click "save as webpage" or words to that effect. It won't be a great-looking webpage, but it'll do the job.

If you want to play around with making a proper website, a great free application is SeaMonkey: http://www.seamonkey-project.org/. It's almost as easy to use as a word processing program, can be used to make a proper website, and is a great way to learn. If you want to see how fully-featured a website you can do with it, this one, http://www.ieltswriter.com/, was done with SeaMonkey.
Free stuff for teaching English with jokes: ESLjokes.net.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 02:45:01 PM »
Only caveat I have - make sure ALL of your students have regular FREE internet access.  A couple of mine have computers, but no internet access and so only go to the uni/public net bar once a month.  If you are in a public school, you could have a proportion of pretty poor students and this can make things a little harder for them.

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 04:08:35 PM »
Yes, I asked about it. Basically, though, the class monitor can access it, and distribute it. However, since it is just one person, I do it through email. Get homework, mark it or check it, give it back so can talk about it next class.

You could probably set up email lists too, although I am too lazy to do it.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 11:04:58 PM »
When confronted with this situation, I set up free Yahoo e-mail accounts for my classes. I then sent the materials to that address as attachments, and gave the account password to the class. Easy, free, and fast...just keep copies of all the files you send so you can repost them in case of stupidity and/or sabotage. bjbjbjbjbj
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 11:24:37 PM »
I should have been clearer.

I meant to say, I checked about access at my uni. They can all use the library terminals, but often they are occupied. Not everyone has practical access. However, often at least ONE person  per dorm has, and the study monitor seems to have assured access. So I do it all through the study monitor. She collects all the docs, emails them to me, I email her, she distributes the docs. I only usually do this for group activities, though, so there is a max of about 10 or 12 docs each time.

They all have class photocopying accounts and there is some kind of general access.

My last college had none of this in any organized fashion, though. Basically, it was all paper. And it was a business college.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.