Global web tightens around accused pedophile

• 36 replies

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
Re: Global web tightens around accused pedophile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2007, 03:30:48 PM »
If he is guilty I am more than happy for him to be caught, tried fairly and punished fairly.  But if that were my pic or one looking like me, naming me, I'd certainly do a flit as well - knowing the lynch mob mentality of the majority of people. Our history is littered with stories of the innocent being unjustly accused and abused.

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2007, 03:53:39 PM »
tantamount perhaps, but not proof nor admission of guilt, in a society where supposedly we are innocent until PROVEN guilty. I assume Canada no longer uses Napoleonic law.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2007, 07:34:17 PM »
A couple of points.  First, he must be proven to be guilty.  As much as it hurts to trun a pedophile loose on the general population, it would hurt more to destroy and innocent person wrongly accused and convicted - besides, the pedophile is still on the loose in the general populaton.  Truly guilty? Yes. Turn him loose in the general population of a penitentiary.

Second point - bisexual, heterosexual, homosexual or metrosexual - it doesn't matter one iota as long as partners are of age of consent and have the mental capacity for the decision-making involved in "consent".  And no, young 'uns might think they have the capacity for consent, but they really don't. 
“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2007, 03:24:28 PM »
tantamount perhaps, but not proof nor admission of guilt, in a society where supposedly we are innocent until PROVEN guilty. I assume Canada no longer uses Napoleonic law.

Canada never used the Code Napoleon as part of its criminal law. The Criminal Code of Canada is based on English common law.

Someone raised the question of whether some of the children seen in the videos with this guy might have consented, perhaps participated for pay, this being far from uncommon in some "pedo heavens". According to the law of Canada (and most other western countries) a child under a certain age (typically 14) is incapable of giving consent, no matter what the circumstances. From that principle comes the idea of "statutory rape".

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2007, 08:41:40 PM »
I believe that Quebec still follows the French legal system.  The rest of Canada follows the English legal system. 
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Mr Nobody

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2007, 09:16:17 PM »
I KNOW some part of Canada used to follow Napoleonic Law. Quebec. I don't know if it still does. My comment was tongue in cheek re the accusations on the web. We don't have a tongue in cheek smiley. Unless it is this : bdbdbdbdbd

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2007, 10:06:04 PM »
Canada still has a bijural legal system with Quebec having it's base in the Napoleonic Code.  As does Louisiana.

One country two systems - where have I heard that before??

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2007, 02:16:04 AM »
In Quebec, if I remember correctly the criminal code follows the rest of Canada and civil law is based on French law - again, if I am not mistaken, a law system in place before Napoleon. 
“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2007, 02:25:40 AM »

This might help clarify where we are in Quebec.  The important bit is the burden of proof and evidence.

Inspired by the 1804 Code Napoléon, the Civil Code of Lower Canada was enacted in 1866. It had four books governing:

* Persons
    * Property and its Different Modifications
    * Acquisition and Exercise of Rights of Property
    * Commercial Law

The Civil Code of Lower Canada remained unchanged until 1955, when changes began to be made. By the late 1980s, it was realized that a major revision was required. A new Civil Code of Quebec came into force on February 1, 1994. It contains ten books:

1. Persons (e.g.: basic individual rights, residence rules, privacy)
   2. The Family (e.g.: marriage, parentage, adoption)
   3. Successions (e.g.: wills, inheritance, estates)
   4. Property (e.g.: possession, land boundaries, right-of-way)
   5. Obligations (e.g.: contract law, civil liability (tort law), sales, leasing)
   6. Hypothecs (i.e.: mortgages and the sale of land)
   7. Evidence (e.g.: burden of proof, rules of evidence)
   8. Prescription (i.e.: statutes of limitations)
   9. Publication of Rights (e.g.: registration of property)
  10. Private International Law (governs the resolution of legal issues involving persons outside Canada)

This new code integrates some concepts from Common law. It is still under debate as some of its regulations fall under the sphere of the federal government as determined by the British North America Act, 1867 (now renamed Constitution Act, 1867) and Constitution Act, 1982.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 02:28:37 AM by Lotus Eater »

Mr Nobody

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2007, 03:47:57 AM »
Never is a long time and a big place. thanks LE and DS for showing my point, although it was only meant in jest.

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2007, 06:05:25 AM »
According to the news from this morning, they got and arrested that guy somewhere in Northern Thailand. He will now be extradited to Canada and will be brought to justice!
Excellent!

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2007, 06:07:55 AM »
My info said he would be charged in Thailand for offences allegedly carried out in 2003.

So he might not get to Canada.

Mr Nobody

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2007, 06:08:57 AM »
Well, not alive, at least.

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2007, 06:13:06 AM »
According to most recent news, they caught that guy in Northern Thailand today.
His name is Christopher Paul Neil, they say.
He was an English teacher in South Korea, Vietnam, and Thailand and has paid between 7 and 10 USD for each child he abused.
If all that is true: what a shame!

Mr Nobody

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2007, 06:14:53 AM »
You mean, he should have paid more?

Or something else?