Dating students?

• 95 replies
Re: Dating students?
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2010, 05:37:20 AM »
well as all of the letters are capitalised, presumably it's an acronym?

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2010, 05:44:13 AM »
TIC - This is China
TIFC - This is Fucking China

xwarrior

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2010, 06:00:35 AM »
TIC - This is China
TIFC - This is Fucking China

IC!!!! Thanks Stil.

The Saloon is starting to read like the China Daily - acronyms for bloody everything.

Their latest effort is HPC - of course you all know that stands for High Performance Computer.

What was the topic again?

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2010, 02:05:15 PM »
Male Chinese teachers are the worst offenders when it comes to dating younger female students. Foreign teachers are "mostly harmless" by comparison.

That anyone would need to be told it's not OK to date their students (or even students from the same iniversity) is a little mystifing. However, I have dated students from other universities, and for the most part dating students sucks. In addition to the fact that there is a huge gap in terms of maturity and experience, they are often slaves to homework, class projects and dorm schedules. In addition, they go back to their hometowns just about any time they have a free moment.

Things actually worked out pretty well with one Tsinghus student I dated for several months. Sadly, she graduated and go a job in Shenzhen.This is the other problem.After the student life ends, there is no future.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2010, 08:14:31 PM »
My general rules for student teacher dating (in or out of China without respect to nationality or gender of anyone involved, but assuming all parties are of legal age) would be:

1.  If there's a grade involved and the student is enrolled or is planning to enroll in that teacher's class, then no.  A person who controls a grade has power over a person being graded.  If there's some true mutual attraction, then let it wait until later.  If it's true love, it can wait until after graduation (see #3).  If it's only hormones, both parties likely just saved themselves some awkward moments.

2.  A teacher and a student in another department who will not ever take a class from that teacher (grades still involved). - Possible, but highly risky.  Other students could presume that dating any instructor gives some form of preferential treatment.  May be against school policy (official or unofficial).  If significant age/maturity gap (in favor of teacher), may easily result in student's relatives approaching teacher from behind with sharp objects and an intent to cause (possibly justified) bodily harm.

3. Teacher and former student (graduated).  May raise some eyebrows.  People will wonder exactly when the dating began.  Could be used against the teacher during evaluations.  If the teacher does this with multiple former students, the likelihood of this increases.  Depending on who the former student is connected with, a bad breakup could have more fallout than expected.  Then again, if it's really true love, what's a few slings and arrows?

4.  Adult Education (no grades involved).  Somewhat risky.  May be against policy (official or unofficial).  May result in resentment of other students.  In the event of an unpleasant breakup, could cause some fallout for teacher's job (then again, dating a student's relatives in a case like this could also have fallout if there's  a bad breakup, but no one ever said you couldn't date an adult's siblings, aunts/uncles, etc., but the fallout from a failed relationship can be similar to a failed relationship with the student - in a small town, dating any local person could have this effect).  Assuming there is no policy against it, may be approached, but with caution.  Keep in mind that the student's reputation may be tarnished if the relationship fails (in some cases, the teacher's reputation may also be tarnished - depends on the circumstances).  If you chose to swim in these waters, do so with your eyes open and at your own risk.

5.  High school.  Even if the student is 18+ years old and not in your class, a very bad idea. kkkkkkkkkk

6.  Dog obedience school.  Illegal in most countries. ahahahahah

I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

xwarrior

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2010, 09:49:18 PM »
6.  Dog obedience school.  Illegal in most countries. th_ah

I am not sure if it is illegal in Australia  uuuuuuuuuu, but an NRL player found out that any such relationship does have its downside

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8121316
- Bette Midler

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2010, 10:06:43 PM »
There are some basic standards of taste and decency that pretty much apply everywhere. These are things like "Don't Ever Date Children..........unless they're really hot"...

Beyond that, I believe it's unethical to date any student where you have or could potentially have some form of influence over that student's life, such as grades.
I think this eliminates most school situations up through and including college.

But a private center, where the students are at least in their twenties and there are no grades, where the only measure of a student's progress is whether or not they continue to make more tuition payemnts?
What the hell...go for it, if you can! bfbfbfbfbf afafafafaf
C'mon...these places ain't exactly Cambridge. They ain't even Tulsa School of Welding. Hell, some of the students are only there to date foreigners in the first place. The classic Western notions of Pedagogy are at best quaintly amusing in such places.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

A-Train

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2010, 11:28:59 PM »
"...much like the WW II British saying that there were three problems with Americans -- overpaid, oversexed and over here."

And the three problems with the British?  Underpaid, undersexed and under Ike.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

A-Train

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2010, 11:48:43 PM »
" In some cultures people (such as virgins) were sacrificed. I think most people now would recognize that killing an innocent person is unethical irrespective of the culture that practices human sacrifice."

The old assumption of universality rears its presumptuous head.  My ethics are THE ethics.  Do you think these sacrifices were done for fun?  Do you suppose they woke up one day and realized the error of their ways?  Pfffft! 
There's a pygmy tribe in Borneo that celebrates a sacremental ritual whereby a young couple, while in the act of making love, are killed, burned and eaten.  As the late master of mythology, Joseph Campbell said about this ritual..."It doesn't get any better than that".
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2010, 04:54:52 AM »
Even if we're arguing cultural relativity, I think it is a bit of a jump to say that teachers dating students is acceptable and ethical in China. Does it happen, maybe even often? Sure. But it certainly isn't condoned by school authorities, who actually frown upon students dating, period. It was only a year or two ago that universities in China changed their rules to allow students to get married. I don't think you'll find any school administrators or parents of college students who would be particularly happy to find the faculty bonking the students. Probably the only people who would tell you this is acceptable are the teachers who are doing it.

This is sort of like the thread about the mistress. These situations may be somewhat common in China (and elsewhere), but that doesn't mean they're ideal or even acceptable. Not condoning teacher student relationships or extramarital affairs isn't some form of cultural imperialism by prudish Western folk, these things are fairly taboo among regular old people in China too.

A-Train

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2010, 05:43:31 AM »
BD ~ we were talking about activities that were perfectly acceptable by one culture and their particpants buy abhored by another and how some members of the latter culture condemn the former based on their own set of ethics.  Pol Pot's mass-murder and the Inquisition were hardly acceptable in the eyes of those persecuted.  Genocide is not the same as rituals where the participants die willingly.

That crazy Mayan game where a rubber ball is moved upfield and thrown threw a hole resulted in the sacrifice of the winner, not the loser.  Do you think they "thew" games to save their lives?  Do you consider that ritual unethical?  An no, Campbell was not being sarcastic with his remark.  He was appreciative of the power of the ritual in question.

Pearl S. Buck

xwarrior

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2010, 06:40:51 AM »
So, six boys raping a girl, then the last boy and the girl together are killed together, then roasted and eaten

On the scale of things, as presented in the last few posts, it looks like a foreign teacher dating a student hardly rates as a problem.

...... with apologies for referring to the topic  bjbjbjbjbj   
- Bette Midler

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »
9 out of 10 people enjoy gang rape

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2010, 07:02:16 PM »
Gentlemen,  I think this thread has gone way off topic.   bibibibibi

I think the ethics part belongs in the Wrestling Pit where you can argue at will.  bjbjbjbjbj
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

xwarrior

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2010, 07:18:15 PM »
9 out of 10 people enjoy gang rape

:wtf:
I think someone is pushing the idea that it is only 5 out of 6 get to enjoy it
- Bette Midler