Can anyone actually recommend a school

• 51 replies

psd4fan

• 在哈尔滨黑龙江中国
    • WillExcel TESOL
Re: Can anyone actually recommend a school
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2008, 03:47:25 PM »
Very refreshing to read positive comments about teaching in China and recommendations for schools.  Unlike other ESL/EFL Teachers Boards.  Glad to see that many of you are enjoying your China experience.
Lovin my school and city. That having been said there have been teachers that hated to school and the city. Oh well. Most of those seemed to have unreasonable expectations of what China would be like and how things should be run.

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2008, 03:08:00 AM »

Lovin my school and city. That having been said there have been teachers that hated to school and the city. Oh well. Most of those seemed to have unreasonable expectations of what China would be like and how things should be run.

What is "unreasonable?" "Unrealisitc," I can understand, but, "unreasonable?"
"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami

chinalin

• The Great wall in winter.
    • Lin's China Travels
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2008, 03:49:30 AM »
Well, to follow on this topic.  I just love my college here in Zhaoqing, Guangdong Province.  I worked here for the first year I was in China, and then my contract was not renewed, as the school was led to believe that someone who taught here previously, was returning.  So, I got a contract at a different college in Zhaoqing, and that was not such a good experience.  In fact, just ask xwarrior, as that is where he is now!!

At the end of that year, my previous colleagues contacted me, and asked me to return to the original college.  This gave me some leverage, and I sorted out two issues that were less than satisfying for me, in my first year, with no discussion at all.  What I wanted was seen to, and I have been here ever since. 

I imagine that for as long as I am in China, I will be staying here.  The students are great, as they actually have real opportunities for further studies overseas, and of course that means that their English levels are critical, but also I have just the best support base, from fellow teachers (all Chinese) and from the administration. 

I could not want for better.  Here, if I walk into the English department, it doesn't matter who is in the office, I can have a chat and a laugh with them, as their English is good enough for that.  But, at the 'other place' there were maybe two or three of the Applied Languages department that I could talk with, and there were about 19, and they were English teachers!!  Figure that one out!!

The money is not all that special, but it is more than enough for me, the work hours are excellent (well, except for the three 8am classes that I have this term), my apartment has three bedrooms, and is bigger than my house in Australia, and it is centrally located, just about 25 minutes to walk to the city centre, or a choice of 6 different local buses, depending on where I want to be in the city centre, or a taxi is usually under 8 RMB.  So, all in all, I am very happy here, and sorry but I am not planning on leaving any time soon!!

Lin
Zhaoqing, Guangdong Province. bxbxbxbxbx

psd4fan

• 在哈尔滨黑龙江中国
    • WillExcel TESOL
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2008, 11:46:52 PM »

Lovin my school and city. That having been said there have been teachers that hated both the school and the city. Oh well. Most of those seemed to have unreasonable expectations of what China would be like and how things should be run.

What is "unreasonable?" "Unrealisitc," I can understand, but, "unreasonable?"
Actually for me they would be the same. Perhaps I was using both in a feeble attempt to make myself sound more intelligent. haha

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2008, 08:53:19 PM »
Somehow I must've skipped over this thread a while back.

I can definitely recommend my university. They have been wonderful to me (kinda sad I'm leaving). Some of the students are rather difficult, but that's to be expected. I would highly recommend working here for anyone interested (and they are still hiring).
"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." -Calvin
3 greatest things in the world in one website: http://www.boozefoodtravel.com
http://www.TotalTaipei.com
My Taipei travel guide: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RSMVG

Li Fu

• The older I get the faster I was
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2008, 06:45:04 AM »
I would recommend teaching in Gaomi, a "small" city of 800,000 in Shandong Province. I taught in a middle school there for a very short period in October. The school is tring to get a FT permit (hence my not naming the actual school.) The salary was 6000Y pm,a free 2 br 2 story courtyard townhouse, which my wife and I had improved, and some new furnishings, complete with all utilities and internet. You will be well treated by the principle, who is very laid back, thanks to his time spent in the UK. The city is beaut and cheap, and you will be one of few, if not the only western person in town! Good for a newbie or experienced teacher, with only 14 40 minute, and 2 45 minute classes per week, though there are 60-75 students per class. Pm me for further details/pics.

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2009, 05:11:21 PM »
First, I recommend finding a different country to teach in.

Second, if you feel compelled to teach in China, I recommend teaching writing at a university first.  This is how you will learn about the culture, customs, and thinking in the country.  University students won't teach you much at all in conversation classes.  I guess it's a face saving thing or something.  They will tell you detail in writing that you can figure out that they will never say when others are around.

Third, I recommend if you must teach in China to move downward in age from there.  University students here are convinced that university years are playtime years and are far more interested in their electronic devices, endless certificates and driver's licenses, and romance than they are in learning anything or being bothered with homework or attending classes.

Fourth, once you have progressed those steps, you can easily transition to younger and youjnger students who are polite, respectful, and want to achieve and learn.  I've been in China teaching all ages for more than five and a half years and much prefer the kids who are seven to eighteen.  Of that group ages seven to twelve are the best.  Those eleven and twelve are the utlimate because they are absorbing adult vocabulary in their first language.  Female students are almost universally the best of all.  Male students progress toward believing they are guaranteed jobs and status by virtue of being male.

Lastly, I'm moving to the Netherlands in July 2009.  I will not ever return to China with its current philosophy, impatience, and political system.  The world can come to an end first.  I am finished with it.

AMonk

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2009, 05:13:32 PM »
 offtopic offtopic 

If you feel this way, please express yourself in the appropriate Thread(s)
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2009, 01:01:07 AM »
Somehow I must've skipped over this thread a while back.

I can definitely recommend my university. They have been wonderful to me (kinda sad I'm leaving). Some of the students are rather difficult, but that's to be expected. I would highly recommend working here for anyone interested (and they are still hiring).

Hi there, I am looking for a new job as I about to finish my contract with my school in China. You can give me the contact details of your University.
                                                   Thanks in advance

Schnerby

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2009, 03:37:06 AM »
A realistic view of the situation is what we all need. As a newcomer, this positive thread does give me a bit more confidence. Of course, not everything will go to plan and not everything will meet my expectations. That said, it can't totally suck either, or you good people wouldn't stick around.

Keep 'em good stories coming!

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2009, 04:12:43 AM »
Though I did endorse my university, I must say they are not currently hiring (they found my replacement). Though that may change if they make changes to the curriculum (which I think my boss really wants). So, feel free to check out Harbin Institute of Technology Shenzhen Graduate School for future job openings.
"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." -Calvin
3 greatest things in the world in one website: http://www.boozefoodtravel.com
http://www.TotalTaipei.com
My Taipei travel guide: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RSMVG

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2009, 11:22:52 AM »
Cool.
I'm probably a bit more comfortable with simply naming schools than handing out contact details anyway...

If a school wants to advertise a job, they're welcome to do that...and it's free.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2009, 02:05:25 AM »
I have no real complaints with my current school, or I should say, I feel like the complaints I do have are fairly trivial. The pay is good, the workload is more than manageable, and the students are, with a few exceptions, good learners. Unfortunately they aren't hiring at the moment, but perhaps in the fall.

In fact, in 6 years of teaching here, there have only been a couple of schools that I absolutely wouldn't recommend. I would guess that the majority of people teaching in China are reasonably satisfied with what they're doing, but of course we don't hear about those folks, we hear the horror stories. People having completely normal experiences probably aren't particularly motivated to post about those experiences on the internet.

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2009, 04:45:01 AM »
I am really heartened by this topic.  We seem to spend a lot of time slagging so many places.   I would recommend my uni if you have a Masters.  Not fantastic pay, but hours are short - 12 per week.  12 months pay rather than the 10-11 many other place pay. NO changes to timetables etc. Accommodation is reasonable (2 bedroom, free electricity and gas, 24/7 internet connection, computer and laser printer supplied etc), and FAO fixes almost everything immediately.

Hi, everyone, happy to be posting back again. This site is really awesome. Lotus Eater, could you PM me the contacts of your university, but I don't have a Master degree though, I've only got a Bachelors.
                         Thanks in advance
                                           bjbjbjbjbj

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2009, 10:51:05 AM »
Uh...Kushal, you don't have PM yet. A bit more posting will fix that...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 09:29:35 PM by Raoul F. Duke »
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)