FEC + RP

• 7 replies

old34

FEC + RP
« on: August 23, 2012, 04:19:19 AM »
This has now been confirmed at the highest levels at both SAFEA and the PSB.

If  your FEC is cancelled at your local FEB, it de facto cancels your RP. BUT....the FEB will not notify the PSB of that fact. (Power struggle between the FEB/SAFEA and the PSB.)

If your FEC is cancelled, it cancels your RP no matter how much time you have left on the RP. You must re-apply for a new RP (thus a new FEC) within 10 days after cancellation of your current FEC.

This stuff is really new. No one at SAFEA knew about this (because its a PSB thing) but they tripled checked it and told me, yeah, it's a new wrinkle and they're going to push the info out to their own local FEBS as well as SAFEA-approved schools. 

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
Re: FEC + RP
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 05:22:31 AM »
Thanks for the info Old.

Changing jobs over the summer holidays is going to be a real hassle now.

jpd01

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 07:38:25 AM »
I've always cancelled the old FEC and applied for the new one on the same day, so ten working days seems adequate.
If the PSB and FEB are having a beef that could get annoying. Although I don't think it will be a universal thing, as any national regulation takes time to be enforced throughout the country.

"I don't understand what I did wrong except live a life that everyone is jealous of." Charlie Sheen.

Monkey King

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 02:12:33 PM »
If  your FEC is cancelled at your local FEB, it de facto cancels your RP. BUT....the FEB will not notify the PSB of that fact. (Power struggle between the FEB/SAFEA and the PSB.)

Changing jobs over the summer holidays is going to be a real hassle now.

Yes...so, let's say...

-  ...an FT (ignorant of this rule) leaves a job in early summer, but still has a couple of months left on his/her visa (pretty common). 

-  The school cancels that teacher's FEC because they have left.  Teacher doesn't know/doesn't know it matters.

- Relevant police/immigration authorities are apparently not informed of teacher's new status.

- The teacher decides to travel around China, look for a new job, and perhaps leave the country and come back once or twice using the 'remaining' time on their old RP/Visa in passport (again, pretty common).

- All of this would actually be illegal, teacher would technically be an illegal alien, in fact would have even now entered the country illegally, and said teacher could be in a load of sxxt despite his/her ignorance.

I guess this is how the teacher in the other thread ended up with a 6000 RMB fine in a similar situation?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 02:18:38 PM by MK »

old34

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 02:32:45 PM »
Yes.

The FEB does not notify the PSB that the FEC has been cancelled (the SAFEA guy kind of chuckled when I asked him that directly and said, "Of course not." But then, they (SAFEA/FEB) weren't aware that the PSB was now taking this position so that might change. But I wouldn't count on it because there is some antagonism going on between the two organs.

Where it catches up with you is if you go in to the PSB to renew your RP (which will require a new/renewed FEC) and the date of the FEC is more than 10 days previous.

Ignorance of the requirement may or may not help. In my case (written up elsewhere here at the Saloon), I had to sweat out sitting across from the PSB guy while he went through his computer. I had explained to him that my old school and new school had cooperated together to get the old FEC cancelled (and a cancellation notice from the old FEB) and a new one issued all before school ended because everyone in both schools would be gone over the summer. My RP continued all through the summer. In the end, he told me I had broken the law, I was being given a "Warning" but that he wouldn't fine me (he made a specific point about this). And then after signing the warning, he allowed me to proceed to the RP desk and apply for a new RP, which I received yesterday. So I was blamed even though it was the new school that was pushing to get the new FEC issued before summer vacation started so when I finally arrived at the end of summer, we would just have to deal with getting the RP. This approach is no longer feasible under this new approach that the PSB seems to be taking.

In another thread here, babala reports that one of her old teachers had his FEC cancelled 6 weeks ago and when he went in recently to renew for his new job, he was fined 6,000 RMB.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

babala

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 05:09:32 PM »
old34 thanks so much for the information. I'm sure most people were not aware of it. I know I wasn't mmmmmmmmmm

The teacher at my school went straight to a new job in another city. His new school was processing his paperwork right away. I'm not sure what all went on between his school doing things in a timely manner and the problem with the Suzhou PSB.

I do think that if the teacher had handled himself in a different manner, things may had been different. I was not there so what I'm about to say is really just my own specualation. The teacher has a temper and is prone to over-reacting. I imagine that instead of playing nice and pleading for leniacy, he threw a hissy fit. It also probably didn't help that his name was on file for neighbour complaints.

To all newbies, it never helps getting angry asasasasas
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 05:21:14 PM »

To all newbies, it never helps getting angry asasasasas

I don't agree, but you do have to be aware of when and to whom to show your anger.

CaseyOrourke

• USAF TACP
    • Yankee Texan In China
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 05:24:07 AM »
our HR department is pretty good at keeping up the paperwork.  When I inquired abot what was needed to renew my RP, the girl there sent me a list of everything we needed with the instructions to "fed-ex" the wife and my passports and foreign resident registration to her and she would take care of it, she also gave me a "By the way, I renewed your FEC as soon as you signed the new contract."  Once the PSB had issued the new RP's she e-mailed me digital scans of passports, RP's and the FEC info for both the wife and I.