can somebody please get a sense of perspective?

• 5 replies
can somebody please get a sense of perspective?
« on: August 01, 2010, 05:41:24 AM »
When I got into ESL / EFL teaching, I quickly formulated a rule that I have since found very useful. Take your work very seriously, yourself less so. Someone at Transport Canada needs a slap upside the head with a frozen mackerel.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/842606--transport-canada-won-t-turn-the-other-cheek-over-decals

Transport Canada won’t turn the other cheek over decals
Ministry bans stickers on bags depicting cocaine, sex toys, money and bound stewardess

Transport Canada is not amused.
Officials with the federal ministry have banned a series of gag luggage decals that depict realistic images of suitcases stuffed with U.S. greenbacks, bags of cocaine, sex toys and even a bound and gagged flight attendant.

The stickers are intended to raise a giggle and make the bags easier to spot as they spin round and round on the luggage carousel.
But a spokesperson for Transport Minister John Baird says they’re just “not funny.”

“Joking around like this could possibly a serious violation of the aeronautics act,” James Kusie said Friday in an email to the Star. “Joking about potentially trafficking illegal substances, or worse, is not funny and the government will use the full force of the of the law to ensure Canadians who travel by air are safe.”
<snip>
The stickers have proven to be big sellers in Europe, where about 1,000 have been snapped up since they hit the worldwide market a week ago. Fewer than two dozen have been shipped in Canada since then, a company spokesperson told the Vancouver Province.

Kusie said the decals violate Section 11 of the Canadian Aviation Security Regulations, which expressly forbids anyone from making false declarations that they are carrying weapons or any other item that could be used to jeopardize the security of an aerodrome or aircraft.

But the cheeky website quotes a U.K. Border Agency official, who told the Daily Mail newspaper, “our officers see a lot of joke stickers on suitcases and it doesn’t affect their professional approach to tackling smuggling of illegal goods.”

Man, I just have to get me one of those.

Re: can somebody please get a sense of perspective?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 05:48:15 AM »
Man, I just have to get me one of those.

What, a sticker or a Transport Canada Official?
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 03:24:58 PM »
The suitcase full of money. Even if it is American.

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 08:28:01 PM »
so what would they do if you came to canada with a sticker they didn't like?

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 03:00:51 AM »
Good question.
If I'm leaving, they can stop me when I check my luggage and demand that I remove it. Or no flight. I would comply, because I'm a good boy. Actually I wouldn't, because I'm good enough that I wouldn't put one on going out and make an issue of it in the first place. There's a time and place to fight every battle, and on the way out ain't it.
Inbound, however, what are they going to do? Tell me I can't come into my homely debatable land because I have ugly luggage? OK, they can do their worst, tear it apart and have fun with me, but when they're done and they belatedly realize that once again, for about the millionth time this year, they've utterly failed to find anything remotely connected to terrorism, gun-running, drug trafficking or even double parking, that they've got one middle-aged, semi-professional traveller with no criminal record politely impatient and enquiring who is in charge, they're going to get edgy. Not very, because they've been protected from the worst of their excesses for so long and so many times that they think they're invulnerable; but edgy becuase someone among them must have 2 neurons to rub together. Sooner or later, those neurons are going to rub. Even it is in Transport Canada.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 09:31:34 PM »
Those people are idiots.  If the sticker showed a bomb or weapons, they would have a point.  Personally, I'm not sure how the picture, or even presence, of a kidnapped stewardess in my luggage would cause any danger to an airport or aircraft.

Shall we take up a collection and buy a sense of humor for this James Kusie person?
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com