can i be a crank?

• 18 replies

Tuco

• Let me go and I'll pardon you.
can i be a crank?
« on: July 20, 2010, 12:37:10 AM »
dudes man im bored to death with Beijing.
Everyone is 15 years younger than me and I find that I have nothing in common.
trying to meet older folks(35+) is a bit hard.

any suggestions?

- bored :wtf:
When you have shoot, shoot, don't talk.

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
Re: can i be a crank?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 07:03:16 AM »
dudes man im bored to death with Beijing.
Everyone is 15 years younger than me and I find that I have nothing in common.
trying to meet older folks(35+) is a bit hard.

any suggestions?

- bored :wtf:

without assuming too much, I'd recommend starting off by staying away from Sanlitun and the usual touristy/student hangout places! some sides of nanluoguxiang, gulou, and even parts of the CDB have higher age brackets as patrons.... that said, I've seen plenty of 35+ years old act worse that teenagers when they've had a few drinks in them.

I've managed to stay away from said types but then again, I spend most of my time split between two worlds: IT professionals and musicians. I also mostly stay away from any place advertising any semblant of cheap drinks here because that is sure to draw your average backpacker, international school brat and lost early babies.

Come out to 2 Kolegas for a show or head on over to Jianghu Jiuba for some good folks music and a more mature audience. Make it down to Fubar, George's, Enoteca or Salt for and older fun audience with classy meals/cocktails or skip laowai land in favor of Beijing's southwest where almost no foreigner is seen... The options are plenty, all depends on what you're looking for.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 08:50:34 AM by Nolefan »
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Tuco

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 03:28:45 PM »
ive stayed out of sanlitun the entire time i have been in beijing. the prob is that I am not a drinker. but sometimes i will go to bars.
the only time i spent time at bars is when i was playing guitar for raging mob.

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 05:24:00 PM »

I got just the thing for you :)

come out to the next bookswap & boradgames event on the first saturday of August... meet an older crowd, chill while drinking some coffee and reading/conversing/playing
 agagagagag
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 08:21:40 PM »
Sound advice, that.  Once I switched over to the board games crowd, my drinking plummetted.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 08:43:25 PM »
there are board games crowds? is this in Suzhou or Beijing or both? which board games?  mmmmmmmmmm
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 09:56:08 PM »
there are board games crowds? is this in Suzhou or Beijing or both? which board games?  mmmmmmmmmm

Can't speak for Suzhou but we got the goods in Beijing! we've just celebrated the second year anniversary of the event:

http://www.globaltimes.cn/www/english/metro-beijing/community/events/2010-06/538710.html

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 07:01:54 PM »
The Suzhou Bookworm also has a good selection of popular Western board games...and a crowd who comes in to play them. I personally donated a copy of the classic card game Grass. It's a totally kickass game and I hope it's still being played! bjbjbjbjbj
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 07:10:45 PM »
I'd also add that when I was in China, especially Suzhou, MOST of my expat friends were 15-20 years younger than me.

Maybe we just had an exceptional crop during the Golden Age of Suzhou...

But I found most (certainly some exceptions! bfbfbfbfbf ) people "my own age" in China were either complete self-serious Boy Scouts, or total bitter, bitchy, and boozy wankers...either way, about as much fun as a barium enema. kkkkkkkkkk
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 09:00:24 PM »
From the article, Noles, I see there's a thriving Settlers of Catan crowd there, too.  We have 2 little covens here in Suzhou.

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 08:09:28 AM »
From the article, Noles, I see there's a thriving Settlers of Catan crowd there, too.  We have 2 little covens here in Suzhou.

indeed, there is! I personally own the game with all known extensions and we gather around quite often to give it a whirl! a few months back, I hosted a marathon session of a combined Settlers with Seafarers & Cities and nights for 6 people. Game started saturday afternoon at 4 pm and finished about 12 hours later at 4 am. plenty of wine, cocktails, papa johns pizza and delivery chuan'r made the evening quite enjoyable.

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 04:01:36 AM »
Well!  Friends are coming back with all the latest extensions, particularly the city stuff.  It would be cool to get a tourney afternoon going with the German nerds.

englishmoose.com

Tuco

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 04:44:39 AM »
never played board games but would love to do some D&D while under the influence of some lsd haha oops sorry i thought i was back in the 80s for a moment.
i found a solution to my boredom.

ive started a new music project. will record some new demo tracks then go find musicians to make it a reality. I did this before and i think it will help.

also , i just changed houses so that should give me new things

also some girls are snooping around. hope that cheers me up some.

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 02:25:42 PM »
For the role-playing gamers, a friend in Fuzhou has just released a new one:
http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=82594&src=FrontPage
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 03:32:22 PM »
. . . but would love to do some D&D while under the influence of some lsd haha

I don't normally swing that way, but you never know   afafafafaf

have a bagel
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion