UNISA South Africa May be the Best Native Speaking English Degree; Opinions?

• 4 replies

Ivyman

Hi Everyone,

I was researching all online bachelor's, master's, etc.

UNISA South Africa is a mega university, with about 420, 000 students.  Many are in-person, on campuses.  Many are online.

I am looking at the prices and investigating more.

It looks like tuition prices only come out to about 17,000 Rand.  In UK GBP, is around 1000 GBP a year; in RMB that is about 8000 RMB, for an entire year.

I am further inquiring, whether out-of-country people get that same rate, but we can see why this is a great deal for someone who wants extra education at a low cost.

1.  Would Chinese jobs accept this UNISA degree?

2.  Would Chinese immigration accept it as valid?

3.  I know, I have stated part of this question in other places.  I just want to have a mature discussion, to make sure I know what I am recommending to people.

As far as free education goes, in the US community colleges become free in most states, with fee waivers.

In Europe, most universities are almost free but do not have much online.

In the UK, there are still good rates, even for high-priced Oxford and Cambridge, you are getting money's worth.

Yet, there seem to be few places that are online, have offerings such as bachelor's or masters with sufficient rigor, and are recognized. 

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Chinese jobs are quite variable.  What immigration accepts could possibly depend on how the potential employer describes the degree.

Your best bet is a well-accredited institution that offers in-person and online degrees, and that doesn't differentiate between in-person and online in the transcripts and diplomas.  If the coursework and degrees truly are the same, there shouldn't be any need for the school to label them differently.

Then, the only possible source of queries is if your CV mentions you working and taking classes in 2 different countries at the same time.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Ivyman

Escaped Lunatic,

Thanks.

1.  In the last ten years, some universities have worked hard to make sure that online degrees have the same status as in-person.

I know Arizona State University, Louisiana State University, and the University of Colorado have that.

I am not sure about UNISA, but they do have in-person locations.  A candidate can say "I had many units from other schools, I took a vacation to South Africa and finished a degree."

2.  Can you explain the official policy in China?

Is it subjective by the immigration officer?

For example, in Saudi Arabia, they would not accept any degree that says online on the diploma, is known or thought to be online (such as the University of Phoenix), or is later revealed to be online.

How do places differentiate?

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Interpretations of rules often get left to the provincial level or even local level.  Employers (in any country) can always set stricter standards).  First, figure out what sort of job(s) you want and then dig around for the official national regulations to get the correct visa.  Once you have that, try checking with the immigration and labor bureaus in the areas you are planning to hunt jobs in.

One very important note.  I came in on a Z visa in 2010.  There are "common, regular, ordinary" Z-visa requirements published on most embassy/consulate sites, but there are also some more specialized subcategories with different requirements.  Those are more likely to only exist in the Chinese language version.  Your best bet would be to get someone to assist you in looking up the full set of rules in Chinese on the national level websites for the Immigration and labor bureaus.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Ivyman

Thanks for the info.

Somewhere on my WeChat, there is a link a Chinese person sent me about degrees that immigration will take.

It looks like somewhere on http://jsj.moe.gov.cn/ has this info, even though the site only works on Chinese internet.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 02:48:03 PM by Ivyman »