What Are You Reading??

• 1074 replies
Re: What Are You Reading??
« Reply #480 on: October 12, 2009, 04:48:28 PM »
Next up?  Terry Pratchett's Unseen Academicals...freshly arrived from Amazon.com ahahahahah

ananananan ananananan ananananan me want  ananananan ananananan
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #481 on: October 12, 2009, 04:51:09 PM »
ETR - Amazon is good here.  akakakakak akakakakak  They usually post from Hong Kong, so although the shipping notice will say 3 weeks, it mostly arrives in 2 weeks or less.  I'm waiting for 5 or 6 books now - they should arrive early next week!  bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #482 on: October 12, 2009, 07:05:22 PM »

Just started on Dan Brown's Lost Symbol and Pratchett's Bad Omens.. mixed bag on both so far
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

AMonk

« Reply #483 on: October 12, 2009, 07:35:56 PM »
Yeah, Pratchett didn't write Good Omens on his own; he shared the honours - and it shows.  Not that Omens is a bad book, but it's that I'd have to be in a particular mindset to do a re-read......kind of like I can't just pick up any Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever books.  They have to await a change in my mood(s) ahahahahah

As for Mr.Brown's latest kkkkkkkkkk.....I was bored and irritated by his first "best" seller.  I kept hoping for something new, but all I found was a re-hash of theories that I'd read aeons ago  llllllllll  Can't be bothered to try anything else he's written.
Moderation....in most things...

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #484 on: November 04, 2009, 11:57:45 PM »
Just recently finished an absolutely amazing book- The Red Book of Chinese Martyrs by Gerolamo Fazzini. Originally published in Italian, you really don't have to be Catholic, or even religious at all, to marvel at these inspiring and incredible stories of terror and oppression, faith and courage, before the backdrop of a country in the early throes of going officially insane.

It may seem hard to conceive now, but China once had a thriving, rapidly growing, and devout population of Roman Catholics. But from as early as 1950, as Mao tightened his grip on China and loosened his grip on reality, Catholics became a top-priority target of persecution. Nearly all foreign priests and bishops were expelled from the country, while Chinese priests were relentlessly subjected to intimidation, imprisonment, and public humiliation.

Most of the people whose stories are told in this book are not martyrs in the classic sense...with the exception of some monks living in a monastery on the Shandong island of Yangjiaping, they were not killed for their faith. But many faced conditions that made them wish for death...yet persevered to turn their stories into triumphs. Nearly all the subjects are priests or monks, but one is the story of a young woman, a layperson, who worked at a church.
She wrote her story on pieces of paper she'd cut to fit the shoe soles of an Italian priest who visited her in prison, who then smuggled them out of the prison in his shoes.

My favorite story is that of Father Joseph Li Chang. His persecution and treatment is not the worst described in this book, but it's how he dealt with it that's so absolutely glorious.

I don't think you'll exactly be finding many copies of this within China, but if you get the chance it truly is an awesome read.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

joe

« Reply #485 on: December 08, 2009, 04:50:07 AM »
You pratchett fans missed out on a great BBC documentary on Pratchett about his Alzheimer's, it was really sad, but he still has his wit, and made the whole thing quite amusing.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #486 on: December 08, 2009, 05:17:10 AM »
I love Pratchett - and have introduced him to some students.  His Alzheimers is a real shame. 

Any hope the doco will be sold on DVD?

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #487 on: December 29, 2009, 05:43:30 AM »
Just finished "Honeymoon with my Brother' by Franz Wisner.  An internal/external-journey-of-growth genre, but interesting in the countries visited, and observations about them.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #488 on: December 29, 2009, 01:16:40 PM »
I love Pratchett - and have introduced him to some students.  His Alzheimers is a real shame. 

Any hope the doco will be sold on DVD?

Demonoid has it

http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/1787237/8640170/

« Reply #489 on: January 04, 2010, 12:57:37 AM »
I just reading "Brave New World" for my novel class next year...I had forgotten how creepy that book is...
Now reading "Life and Death are wearing me out" by Mo Yan...it's rather good.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #490 on: January 04, 2010, 01:05:10 AM »
'Shifu, You'll do anything for a laugh' is also good.  I enjoy his work.

AMonk

« Reply #491 on: January 10, 2010, 01:09:19 AM »
Well.  I hope to soon be browsing Chambers Slang Dictionary.  It's a 1.5kg tome that is due to be released from Amazon.com in Canada on 17 February. ababababab
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #492 on: January 10, 2010, 02:38:06 AM »
The collected works of Amy Tan, plus a dashed lot of novels are waiting for my undivided attention...The Joy Luck Club is, so far, rather good.

« Reply #493 on: January 10, 2010, 08:34:46 PM »
I just finished that awesome William Gibson novel Pashley lent me, and cracked open The Joke by Milan Kundera.  Man, is it good!  My life will grind to a halt until it's done.

Then, back to Moby Dick.  It's good too, but those other 2 books, plus Dexter, plus The Wire, all got in the way.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #494 on: January 11, 2010, 05:32:03 AM »
Picked up two in HK recently.

"God's Chinese Son" is a biography of Hong Xia Quan who started the Tai Ping Tian Guo, Heavenly Kingdom, 1850s. He claimed to be Christ's younger brother, ruled a big chunk of China (all of Jiangsu, most of Zhejiang and Jiangxi, bits of Anhui) for over 10 years, and started the second bloodiest war in history (first is WW II, third WW I). Fascinating, if distinctly weird.

"The Soong Dynasty" is an interesting take on an important family. Charlie Soong was educated in the US, came back as a Methodist missionary, made a large fortune first by selling bibles, then branching out. He was an early associate of Sun Yat Sen, printing subversive literature and funding the revolution. Son TV Soong was foreign minister and finance minister in the KMT gov't. Eldest daughter Ai Ling married a guy who ended up the richest businessman in Taiwan. Middle daughter Ching Ling married Sun Yat Sen, over dad's objections. Youngest Mei Ling married Chiang Kai Shek.

I have not finished it. Very interesting. Not your party line portraits. Sun portrayed as fairly weak and vacillating. Chiang as power-mad and more-or-less completely the creature of the Shanghai mob.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 10:52:14 PM by Pashley »
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?