What Are You Reading??

• 1074 replies

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
Re: What Are You Reading??
« Reply #420 on: June 03, 2009, 11:07:44 PM »
Yep. Not critising, just found it interesting.

Now Eric's obsession with Dan Brown is a different story.

Bugalugs

• If we are what we eat, I'm easy, fast, and cheap.
« Reply #421 on: June 04, 2009, 12:07:48 AM »
Always had a wide range in what i read. I really will read what ever i can get my hands on. Is quite beneficial here in China where choices can be quite a hodge podge.

I am a sponge and just love devouring books :D
Good girls are made from sugar and spice, I am made from Vodka and ice

Do you have and ID Ten T error??

« Reply #422 on: June 04, 2009, 12:21:31 AM »
Before that I read Gabriel Garcia Marquez' Nobel-prize opus, One Hundred Years of Solitude for the second time.

One of my students in a writing class once tried to pass off a short story by Gabriel Garcia Marquez as his own.  ahahahahah

I'm reading The Enchantress of Florence, by Salman Rushdie. It is fairly new book of his, out within the last year. I'm enjoying it so far, it is quite the page turner.  

« Reply #423 on: June 04, 2009, 12:26:03 AM »
Dan Brown...piffle....poppycock...flapdoodle....blithering nonsense....wouldn't touch his deplorable and pathetic excuse for literature with a ten-foot kuaizi....Re-reading Tristram Shandy now, part of the course syllabus next year...
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #424 on: June 04, 2009, 12:30:16 AM »
Bugalugs,

I agree that this is a good way to be ... Being like that too makes it just a little easier to decide just how many books I need to fit into my luggage ...  But I am still very happy to hear all of the suggestions on new books to look at and new sources of books I can use after I arrive.  Books are one thing I would find it hard to live without.
Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #425 on: June 04, 2009, 12:43:37 AM »

Dan Brown...piffle....poppycock...flapdoodle....blithering nonsense....wouldn't touch his deplorable and pathetic excuse for literature with a ten-foot kuaizi....

Me thinks thou dost protest too much

« Reply #426 on: June 04, 2009, 01:11:36 AM »
I feel obliged to point out that, should you consult your Shakespeare, Act III, Scene II of Hamlet, he says, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks." So, the word "methinks" should be one word, not two and it is "doth", not "dost".... agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #427 on: June 04, 2009, 01:39:06 AM »
Thanks. I did know it was the lady, however I didn't want to pick at the pink glasses scab.

« Reply #428 on: June 04, 2009, 06:11:25 AM »
Pick away, old chum, pick away agagagagag agagagagag

synthette58

« Reply #429 on: June 04, 2009, 01:01:25 PM »
Thanks. I did know it was the lady, however I didn't want to pick at the pink glasses scab.

Looks nothing like Eric - his eyes are much more beady, and his glasses more pink. Come to think of it, his eyes are much more pink too........on a good day.
 ahahahahah

Reading "In Xanadu", William Dalrymple, for the n'th time. Love it.

« Reply #430 on: June 04, 2009, 02:38:51 PM »
Ultra Nippon.

Best book I've read lately is Blink by Malcolm Gladwell.  In fact, possibly ever, in terms of what I've got out of it.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #431 on: June 04, 2009, 09:31:36 PM »
Stil: You, sir, are a madman. agagagagag akakakakak ahahahahah

Uh..."critising"? mmmmmmmmmm uuuuuuuuuu

...Eric's obsession with Dan Brown is a different story...

No, I think that's JAMES  Brown. :candyraver:

I am a sponge and just love devouring books :D

NOW yer talkin'! bfbfbfbfbf
Attaching yourself to the sea floor and enjoying Charles Dickens' Great Expectations, shredded and tossed with a few shallots and cherry tomatoes in a light vinaigrette, makes for one great evening! bhbhbhbhbh

I'm reading The Enchantress of Florence, by Salman Rushdie.

Oooh, I gotta find that one. Rushdie remains my favorite novelist. I'm still not over Midnight's Children  and The Satanic Verses, and hopefully I never shall be.

Looks nothing like Eric - his eyes are much more beady, and his glasses more pink. Come to think of it, his eyes are much more pink too........on a good day.

I was gonna say. Usually, when I saw ol' Larssss here, his glasses were beady and his eyes were flaming pink. bpbpbpbpbp

To match his underwear. ahahahahah
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #432 on: June 05, 2009, 12:26:02 AM »
He has beady underwear? aoaoaoaoao
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

« Reply #433 on: June 05, 2009, 12:28:21 AM »
Beady, frilly, lacy...since when did my underwear become so interesting?

synthette58

« Reply #434 on: June 05, 2009, 07:08:40 AM »
Beady, frilly, lacy...since when did my underwear become so interesting?

aoaoaoaoao aoaoaoaoao aoaoaoaoao

...maybe it's something to do with the hat, bud??
...or maybe the 'hat' is the substitute for something stronger?
We can but wonder - hence, the obsession with your underwear.
 kkkkkkkkkk