What Are You Reading??

• 1074 replies

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
Re: What Are You Reading??
« Reply #405 on: May 05, 2009, 07:54:31 PM »
Damn. Agreeing with English perfessers? I'm going to have to change my approach. I don't want to be establishment.

I'm a rebel without a clause.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #406 on: May 05, 2009, 09:25:20 PM »
Damn. Agreeing with English perfessers? I'm going to have to change my approach. I don't want to be establishment.

Sp error!  Rebel without claws.

Bugalugs

• If we are what we eat, I'm easy, fast, and cheap.
« Reply #407 on: May 06, 2009, 11:25:52 PM »
Bought the 'Twilight' series of books when i was in Beijing. Have finished the first 2 now i am forcing my self to slow down and enjoy the next 2.
Good girls are made from sugar and spice, I am made from Vodka and ice

Do you have and ID Ten T error??

« Reply #408 on: May 07, 2009, 03:26:52 AM »
Just finished The Mao Case by Qiu Xiaolong. I was told he's a good writer, but this book was terrible.

Moving on to Fugitive Pieces by Anne Michaels. My grad professor recommended it...so far it's pretty good.
"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." -Calvin
3 greatest things in the world in one website: http://www.boozefoodtravel.com
http://www.TotalTaipei.com
My Taipei travel guide: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RSMVG

« Reply #409 on: May 07, 2009, 03:28:16 PM »
I am about to plunge into "The Dark Volume" the sequel to "The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters"....the latter one is highly recommendable.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

old34

« Reply #410 on: May 07, 2009, 04:16:57 PM »

Sp error!  Rebel without claws.

Rebel with outer claws?
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Mr Nobody

« Reply #411 on: May 07, 2009, 07:04:55 PM »
More like rebel with outer clew. But that's another yarn.

« Reply #412 on: May 12, 2009, 12:05:18 AM »
So I put that book to the side.  I found The Unschooled Mind: How Children Think and How Schools Should Teach by Howard Gardner.  Thick, slow reading, but the first book I've read on educational theory.  I'll keep y'all apprised.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #413 on: May 12, 2009, 12:46:12 AM »
Xin Ran's China Witness is brilliant.  I'm sneaking it into training sessions with me because I am learning so much and the stories are so fascinating.

If you can get it (and its equally brilliant predecessor "The Good Women of China") I REALLY recommend it!!

« Reply #414 on: June 03, 2009, 07:20:44 AM »
Finished Fugitive Pieces by Anne Michaels--amazing book, I highly recommend reading it.

Think I'll give my brain a little break and read some Terry Pratchett, The Light Fantastic. Trying to decide if I should keep going to the library or just sift through the 50 years of Paris Review that's on top of my desk (that's almost 200 issues).
"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." -Calvin
3 greatest things in the world in one website: http://www.boozefoodtravel.com
http://www.TotalTaipei.com
My Taipei travel guide: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RSMVG

Mr Nobody

« Reply #415 on: June 03, 2009, 01:50:42 PM »
After finishing the latest butcher and green series books, I then read Simon Green's Furies, pretty good for heroic fantasy. Then I finished off the Greywalker series by Kat Richardson, not bad, kind of 'I see dead people'/PI cross.

Just started on the Repairman Jack series by F Paul Wilson. It's shaping up OK, but less 'speculative fiction' orientation and more normal kind of tough guy than I hoped from this writer. So far, anyway.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #416 on: June 03, 2009, 02:46:31 PM »
Currently halfway through Leon Uris' saga of turn-of-the-20th-Century Ireland, Trinity. Read it in high school, but now I actually understand it. Uris is more famous for Exodus, but this is a deeper and maybe better book...really spellbinding. bfbfbfbfbf

Before that I read Gabriel Garcia Marquez' Nobel-prize opus, One Hundred Years of Solitude for the second time.
The first time I read this book, when I turned the last page, I truly and literally sat down and wept at the sweet, powerful beauty of what I had just witnessed. I didn't cry this time, but I came close...the book was even better the second time through. I agree wholeheartedly with one of the reviews on the book's cover: "...the first book since the Book of Genesis that should be required reading for the entire human race..."
It's been referred to as "the entire South American civilization presented in one book", but I'd go further. It's LIFE presented in one book...sometimes miraculous and sometimes mundane, sometimes tragic and sometimes hilarious, but always mysterious and compelling.
If you ever have the chance to read this luminous masterpiece, by all means grab it.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Bugalugs

• If we are what we eat, I'm easy, fast, and cheap.
« Reply #417 on: June 03, 2009, 08:39:09 PM »
Leon Uris is awesome, might have to look at getting a few of his books when i am back home.

I am currently re-reading the 'Twilight' series. I love this series and can't get enough of it :D
Good girls are made from sugar and spice, I am made from Vodka and ice

Do you have and ID Ten T error??

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #418 on: June 03, 2009, 10:57:09 PM »
Leon Uris is awesome, might have to look at getting a few of his books when i am back home.

I am currently re-reading the 'Twilight' series. I love this series and can't get enough of it :D

Truly original. I bet these three sentences have never been put together before.

« Reply #419 on: June 03, 2009, 11:01:13 PM »

Truly original. I bet these three sentences have never been put together before.

It does however show that Bugalugs is truely a wide ranging reader. 
Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)