What Are You Reading??

• 1074 replies

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: What Are You Reading??
« Reply #210 on: February 11, 2008, 11:08:59 PM »
Finally embarked into a book by my favorite author I've been wanting to read for many years: The Satanic Verses  by Salman Rushdie. The man is far and away the most amazing writer I've ever witnessed.
So far Midnight's Children  is a better book...but I'm still very early in Verses...

For those of you reading HST: God luv ya. bfbfbfbfbf ajajajajaj
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #211 on: February 11, 2008, 11:15:26 PM »
Even though I think it's great that TSV wound up the islamic extremists so much, it's also said to be a very pretentious, near-unreadable work...
It is too early to say.

icebear

• ????
« Reply #212 on: February 12, 2008, 03:06:40 AM »
Currently reading Obama's Audacity of Hope. Its his perspective (realist as opposed to cynic) on modern politics, what's wrong with them, the joys of local politics (as opposed to national), etc. A bit like preaching to the choir much of the time but a lot of political stories which are new to me, as I normally don't follow politics on such a closer level.

« Reply #213 on: February 12, 2008, 03:17:56 AM »
Even though I think it's great that TSV wound up the islamic extremists so much, it's also said to be a very pretentious, near-unreadable work...

It's not unreadable. It's very confusing, true. Lots of symbolism which will be lost on a lot of Western readers. I was lucky enough to have a Rushdie expert explain a lot of it during a lecture on post-colonial literature. Compared to Ulysses, it's neither unreadable or pretensious. I must admit I liked "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" way more than TSV.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #214 on: February 12, 2008, 10:30:56 AM »
TSV is proving challenging going but not unreadable. I'm hanging in there so far.
As Eric points out, it helps to know at least a bit about India...true of many if not all of Rushdie's books.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 10:32:50 AM by Raoul Duke »
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

George

• My view of China
« Reply #215 on: February 14, 2008, 01:41:04 PM »
I found "Ruled Britannia" by whatsisface Turtledove, in Non-Daves cupboard, and I've just finished it. I previously read another of his books, which I found in Con's cupboard, and I pinched a third one from Non-Dave as well. Good shit, alternate history!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #216 on: February 14, 2008, 09:38:43 PM »
I read 85 percent of an Iris Murdoch novel at the Bookworm; got in yesterday, and they'd shuffled the shelves!  llllllllll
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Bugalugs

• If we are what we eat, I'm easy, fast, and cheap.
« Reply #217 on: February 14, 2008, 10:36:36 PM »
Tokyo by Mo Hayder, an interesting look at the Nanking Massacre. Have really enjoyed it so far. 
Good girls are made from sugar and spice, I am made from Vodka and ice

Do you have and ID Ten T error??

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #218 on: February 14, 2008, 11:22:09 PM »
I read 85 percent of an Iris Murdoch novel at the Bookworm; got in yesterday, and they'd shuffled the shelves!  llllllllll
Yeah. Apparently they hired Jason to do that. THAT  Jason... bibibibibi llllllllll aoaoaoaoao

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #219 on: February 14, 2008, 11:29:23 PM »
Meanwhile...starting to really get into TSV. The second section, entitled 'Mahound', is an absolutely breathtaking piece of writing. It elicited an audible 6am "Wow" when I turned the last page.

Also pretty sure this is the section that got Rushdie the fatwa issued on his ass. There are some things the Islamic orthodoxy do not like seeing written about... aoaoaoaoao

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #220 on: February 17, 2008, 05:42:14 PM »
 Reading East of Eden by Steinbeck. I loved his stuff when I was younger, but East of Eden was one I never got around to reading. For the last 7 years I've mostly only read non-fiction, but I have to say I'm enjoying this one a great deal. Steinbeck is one of the greatest story tellers of all time.

« Reply #221 on: February 18, 2008, 10:53:45 PM »
Yeah. Apparently they hired Jason to do that. THAT  Jason... bibibibibi llllllllll aoaoaoaoao

They didn't hire ME?  asasasasas  They hired that piece of soylent green to touch those books?  aaaaaaaaaa  I oughta...

I'm reading "Blind Ambition" by John Dean, one of the guys who went to prison following the Watergate Scandal.  I'm really glued: the parallels with every place I've ever worked, especially in China are amazing... and pathetic and squalid.  Corruption, in the end, is a dreary, childish and in every sense of the word COMMON thing.

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Acjade

« Reply #222 on: February 18, 2008, 11:13:59 PM »
When are you going to bring Bookworm to Xi'an?

« Reply #223 on: February 18, 2008, 11:43:47 PM »
I'm just a humble customer, but I'll put in a word.

How many foreigners does Xi-an have?

englishmoose.com

« Reply #224 on: February 19, 2008, 01:45:25 AM »
It would make me sound gay.

englishmoose.com