"Colorful primer, a must read!"
- Idaho Tribune

"GUY GOT SOME KINDA PROBLEM!"
- New Jersey Chronicle
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Re: What Are You Reading??
« Reply #736 on: August 23, 2012, 06:50:50 PM »
Forgiving Ararat, Gita Nazareth

What is God, What is Love, What is Justice? Has Germans, Jews, one or two Arabs, and takes place in a claustrophobic and actually kind of scary spiritual plane, Shemaya Station, on or about the time of the death of the main character, which death she doesn't accept.

Tooth and Nail, Craig DiLouie.

There are enough zombie books around these days that one challenge in the reading (and probably the writing) of them is to not have the story be infected, as it were, by every other book you've read. In this book the zombs are called, without affectation, Mad Dogs, and it actually works really well. The story develops through the eyes and actions of Charlie Company the day after they are recalled from Iraq to take up a security role in Manhattan.

(Also, while the book has nothing whatsoever to do with Modern Warfare III, if you've recently played that fps, the story is really easy to visualize.)

« Reply #737 on: August 26, 2012, 02:59:29 PM »
I just finished the "Joe Pitt" series by Charlie Huston. Vampire Noir, so much better than tween vampire crap. Also a rather fascinating, scientific explanation for where the vampires came from.

Also, for  those of you who might be thinking of what to do for a Christmas lesson, Jeff Guinn's "The Christmas Chronicles" could provide somme ideas.  agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #738 on: August 26, 2012, 04:38:36 PM »
I just finished reading "That Book About Harvard," and it was pretty amusing. If anyone is teaching students who are hung up on the Ivy Leagues, I'd recommend it. It definitely brings the school down a notch or two.

« Reply #739 on: August 29, 2012, 06:07:22 AM »

The last book, so far, I would like to recommend is the giant tome entitled "Europe" by Norman Davies. It is, essentially, a tour-de-force of European history that will blow your mind  agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag

Just bought this for my mum for her b-day, and she seems very happy with it, so thank you Eric the Red! She's keen to fill in the gaps in her Euro-histoical knowledge.

Davies also has a book entitled Europe: Vanished Kingdoms (or something like that) that looks intruiging!

两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

« Reply #740 on: August 29, 2012, 08:54:43 PM »
I am halfway through "Vanished Kingdom" and it is smashing.  agagagagag agagagagag

For those of you with small children, might I recommend Terry Pratchett's "The World of Poo"....it is excellent entertainment  agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #741 on: September 11, 2012, 05:53:04 AM »
Bleak House.  Something about Jarndyce & Jarndyce being somewhat analogous to my employer ...masters of interminable ***** proceedings ...  eeeeeeeeee

ssssssssss
"At times, the novice found pre-Deluge English more perplexing than either Intermediate Angelology or Saint Leslie's theological calclulus." - A Canticle for Leibowitz, Walter M. Miller, Jr,.

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #742 on: September 11, 2012, 10:21:59 AM »
The passage contract for the dirt cheap (with 'Teacher Rate') 7-day cruise (with unlimited, All Inclusive Drinks package) I booked from Shanghai to Yokohama and back during 'Golden Week'.
 agagagagag
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

« Reply #743 on: September 11, 2012, 01:41:16 PM »
Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey

There I was, reading along, thinking this is an ok space opera, it has war in the solar system, space navies, and a smidgen of detective drama, but maybe it's a little dull since the characters are a bit shallow, and I might let it go, when all of a sudden....

SURPRISE ZOMBIES!

Zombies make every book better.

Watch for the sequel, Leviathan Scratches.

NATO

« Reply #744 on: September 12, 2012, 12:27:02 AM »
The Black Swan - Nassim Nicholas Taleb. I saw his name on the back of another book I read and picked this up. This book has had quite the effect on me and has articulated some feelings I hadn't figured out/articulated myself. Recommended.

« Reply #745 on: September 12, 2012, 01:01:47 AM »
The Black Swan - Nassim Nicholas Taleb. I saw his name on the back of another book I read and picked this up. This book has had quite the effect on me and has articulated some feelings I hadn't figured out/articulated myself. Recommended.

have this on my shelf. will read.
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #746 on: September 21, 2012, 02:59:03 PM »
"Good Omens" by Terry Prattchett and Neil Gaiman I am pissing myself laughing  ahahahahah
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #747 on: September 21, 2012, 05:52:35 PM »
Peter Hessler's Oracle Bones

I needed something light. I like it but it doesn't impress me in quite the same way as Country Driving, which seems a more mature reflection of a long stay in China.

He's in Egypt now. I'll be interested to hear what he has to say about that!
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
« Reply #748 on: September 21, 2012, 08:46:33 PM »
He's in Egypt now. I'll be interested to hear what he has to say about that!

Oooo me too. That's one the of the places I was eying for next year.

AMonk

« Reply #749 on: September 21, 2012, 11:29:14 PM »
Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Moderation....in most things...