What Are You Reading??

• 1074 replies

piglet

• Piglet's House
Re: What Are You Reading??
« Reply #645 on: August 22, 2011, 05:11:50 AM »
I loathed the Road and in fact didn't even finish it, which is most unusual for me.
However I did quite enjoy All the Pretty Horses.
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #646 on: August 24, 2011, 02:07:19 AM »
The guv is in town so not only are the DVD shops closed for the week, but the Worm just stashed all the books upstairs and locked them off.  llllllllll  So I've been hardlining John Grisham and a bunch of fantasy novels.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #647 on: August 24, 2011, 11:05:42 AM »
Given that a lot of you folk lead such busy lives, when do you find the time to read?

« Reply #648 on: August 24, 2011, 12:43:43 PM »
Easy, Granny, reading is a part of the job agagagagag agagagagag Oh, wait, busy lives...nope, that's not me...Yesterday I read a Smurf comic in Chinese...I still can't say things like "Help, I have been stabbed" but I can say "Oh, look, a smurf!"... agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Borkya

« Reply #649 on: August 24, 2011, 03:35:56 PM »
Given that a lot of you folk lead such busy lives, when do you find the time to read?

Before bed, while waiting for someone, in the bathroom....

If I don't read for a day or two I start going a little crazy. And if I go a week without reading anything then I start smashing stuff and ripping off heads. So yeah, I make time. ;)

I'm keeping track of my reading this year and just finished my 70th book for the year. It was Secrets of a Computer Company, one of the China Breeze books, level 2. I always feel so accomplished when I finish reading a book in Chinese!

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #650 on: August 24, 2011, 09:24:28 PM »
overwhelmingly impressive Borkya! btw first line of your post,I missed the comma and thought it said "while waiting for someone in the bathroom"  ahahahahah bibibibibi
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #651 on: August 24, 2011, 11:48:24 PM »
You know Borkya and Piglet this could work either way. Some people take an incredibly loooong time. I bet you could read a few pages or even a whole chapter.

« Reply #652 on: August 25, 2011, 10:45:28 AM »
ETR, please don't get stabbed! aoaoaoaoao  I still don't know how you find the time to do all the things that you do.

Borkya, I don't think that I have read 70 books in my life.  oooooooooo I am excluding small children's books and comics and the odd Mills and Boon (romance stories). ahahahahah  Reading in Chinese! I too am impressed. bfbfbfbfbf

Borkya

« Reply #653 on: August 25, 2011, 04:53:11 PM »
I've always known I've read a lot, but had no idea how much. That's why I decided to just keep track of it this year. Even i was surprised to realize I knock out about 2 books a week considering i teach so much (last semester I did 8 hours extra, just for fun) go to as many chinese classes as I can (about 8-10 hours a week) and deal with all the grading work that comes with teaching 100 students writing. And all my TV show addictions. So yeah, even I'm surprised!

You can see the full list on my blog under the "book list" tab at the top.

« Reply #654 on: August 30, 2011, 11:37:21 PM »
Blindness by Jose Saramago. It's interesting because I just finisjed reading Lord of the Flies and the books are basically the same thing, only one is an island full of little boys and the other is an asylum full of blind people.

I haven't got round to reading that- let me know how you get on! I've read The Gospel According to Jesus Christ which was utterly amazing, The Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis which was utterly dense, and Death at Intervals which was so-so.

« Reply #655 on: September 05, 2011, 04:35:45 AM »
This summer I've had an excessive amount of spare time for reading but a dearth of new reading material;  the only shop in town that sells English literature offers a very limited selection of books that I've already read and a somewhat larger number of authors who I have no desire to read, so I've had to fall back on a small stock of books I brought from Britain many years ago and select from those an even smaller number that I decided were worth re-reading. My choice:

"In Parenthesis" by David Jones.  First published in 1937, it was probably the last, and one of the very best, of the books by men who'd fought and suffered in what for them was The Great War (1914 - 1918).  Jones was Welsh and a poet, a potent mixture.  I'd had some difficulty locating my copy about twenty years ago, although I knew it had recently been republished, but that was because I was looking in the fiction and war sections, and it was shelved in the poetry department.  Jones described cockney as the language of the army, and much of the dialogue is in the accent of Whitechapel-on-Somme, but some of the  narrative passages are pure poesy. The book pulls no punches in its graphic account of the horrors of war, but Jones was more objective and less bitter than many of the traumatised authors who relived the hell of the Western Front in their books.

"Quiet Flows the Don" by Mikhail Sholokhov. This is the first full English translation and was published in the 1980s after Sholokhov's death.  The original, much abridged translation got Stalin's approval, but I doubt he'd have given Sholokhov the Stalin Prize for Literature if he'd read the complete text in the original Russian.  The 1930s edition concedes that some of the Red Army's requisitioning tactics antagonised the Cossacks, but generally it set the Red/White conflict as a struggle between good and evil. The unexpurgated edition is much more equivocal, and Grigory (the main character)appears to view both sides with equal distaste and to be saying "A pox o' both your houses".

"White Teeth" by Zadie Smith.  This could be said to be the first 21st century novel, and it got the new era off to a rollicking start. The author is of mixed race and her writing is enriched by the mixture of cultures she grew up in.  

"Zorba the Greek" by Nikos Kazantzakis.  I first saw the 1950s film and then read the book.  After that I read every book that Kazantzakis wrote.  Unfortunately I only brought one of his books, Zorba, with me, and, although I've enjoyed re-reading it, I can think of at least four other Kazantzakis works I'd have preferred.  One of those, the autobiographical "Homage to Greco", introduces the eponymous Zorba:  in real life George Zorbas was his partner in an unsuccessful mining venture, and obviously a seminal influence on his life.

"The Story of San Michele" by Axel Munthe.  This has been a favourite with me since I first read it as a teenager, and I do tend to be rather proselytising about it.  I found a Russian translation and gave it to my wife but, alas!  she wasn't impressed.  

As summer still had a few weeks to run after I finished the above, I went to the aforementioned bookstore and bought half a dozen of the Wordsworth classics.  I'd read most of them before (Thomas Hardy's "Tess of the Durbervilles", Conrad's "Lord Jim", Kipling's "Kim", Dumas's "Three Musketeers"), but I was quite pleasantly surprised how readable Wilkie Collins's "The Moonstone" and "The Woman in White" are.  Victorian melodrama could be really dreadful, but Collins was a master of the genre.

If next summer sees me still deprived of something to read I may have to bite the bullet and buy electronic books, but I couldn't derive from them anything like the blissful pleasure that old fashioned printed paper gives me.  Perhaps I should go to london for a week, taking six empty suitcases with me, and return with them tightly packed with books.            

« Reply #656 on: September 05, 2011, 12:45:38 PM »
Mr. Paradine, before you head off to London ( which would make me very, very, very jealous agagagagag agagagagag) as a fellow bibliophile, permit me to offer you two recommendations: the first one is, though I fully agree with your statements on paper v. Electronic books, is that you acquire a Kindle. It is almost, not quite, but almost as good as a normal book. Second, I have gotten many books from amazon.cn...they deliver and you can opt for paying on delivery.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #657 on: September 05, 2011, 04:07:00 PM »
I figured I contribute here as well. I recently read these books

The Millionaire Next Door. by some goofball named Stanley.

I also read a book called Our Man in Tehran by...I forgot.  mmmmmmmmmm

Now I'm reading On China by Henry Kissinger. I dont know which one I will read next...I want to read The Dragons Gift by Brautigam.

I've wanted to read Atlas Shrugged for some time now...maybe I'll save that tome for another day  bfbfbfbfbf

PS. Has anyone ever read the Chronicles of Amber by Zelazny?

« Reply #658 on: September 08, 2011, 03:20:52 AM »
I'm stranded in a hotel in HK right now, waiting for my contact in China to send me a package of documents. It's getting expensive, so I don't go out much. I have, however, discovered a bookstore nearby, and am reading The Meowmorphosis by Franz Kafka and Coleridge Cook. It's from the same people who gave us Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. A certain cure for agoraphobia.
Just finished Pratchett's Unseen Academicals
Next up, Christopher Moore, Fool.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #659 on: September 08, 2011, 06:03:29 AM »
Tigana - Guy Gavriel Kay