Pages/sec spikes... again

• 3 replies
Pages/sec spikes... again
« on: November 28, 2009, 05:33:53 AM »
Some time back, like I think well over a year ago, I posted complaining about persistent hard drive issues: every 30-60 seconds the whole system would stall while something tried accessing information on the hard drive.  Aside from hearing the hard drive complain, I knew it to be an info access error/loop because Perfmon was showing me a Pages/sec counter ticking in at well over 100.

Well, now my damn laptop's doing it.  How does that happen?  The laptop and the old desktop have nothing in common, not even the operating system install disk.  The only obvious connection is the... the connection.  The internet cable.  Or just sitting on the same goddamn desk?

I know that server systems get this issue sometimes, and supposedly it's either low RAM or some process--apparently often LSASS--over-doing something.  But this isn't a server system.  It's WinXp SP2.  With 2GB of RAM.  (And WINXP SP3 Black, which I had installed way up on the E drive, did it a few times too... so it isn't the OS?)

WTF?!
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Re: Pages/sec spikes... again
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 12:25:36 AM »
Seeing as how my laptop doesn't do that spiking thing anymore, I'm going to go ahead and blame something in the Hunan internet.  Or maybe just that particular connection.  I don't know how, or why.  But I'm content to say it's all China's fault.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 04:38:23 AM »
Welcome back CP!!

xwarrior

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 05:22:43 AM »
My laptop (which is an HP and real basic) gets this problem, usually when I am using:
1. Firefox + anything else
2. Frostwire - after it has downloaded more than 3 largish files
I uusually have to go through a routine of running Disk Check, Defrag etc afterwards and it runs ok for some time.. . until I do any of the above! 
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler