Will We Get in Trouble for Posting gen.lib.rus.ec or sites like it?

• 4 replies

Ivyman

Hi Everyone,

I love "gen.lib.rus.ec" because it posts just about every book and magazine I know for free.

1.  Would I get in trouble for posting on sites such as Facebook, etc.?

2.  Am I allowed to post this on the Saloon?

Again, I know I ask a lot of obvious questions.  But, I simply want to follow the rules and make sure I get as much feedback as possible.

Thanks

Re: Will We Get in Trouble for Posting gen.lib.rus.ec or sites like it?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 07:53:53 PM »
Facebook would know about Facebook policies. As for the Saloon, I don't know if there is a policy regarding the promotion of sites that facilitate the breaching of copyright. But you know, let he who has not done a little theft or two cast the first summons.

But if by "we" you mean the site...  well, yes, probably, one day. Breaching copyright is presently too widespread an activity online to see every breacher targeted, but it'll happen one day.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Ivyman

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 10:15:23 PM »
Thanks.

1.  It should be known that this site also has books that are in the public domain because they never were copyrighted, or the copyright has expired.

2.  Rather, I was asking because for relative newbies like me, it is great to have access to all of this free information for teaching, rather than wait weeks to order a textbook and receive it.

It also goes along with my personal philosophy that all information should be open and free, it is the service that you should pay for.  That creates a very competitive, efficient economy.

Of course, I say this is before my own book has been widely ripped off and published. :)

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 03:16:35 AM »
What is the 'service' we would pay for, and how much should we pay?

I recently moved in the other direction. I bought two real textbooks from a British seller on Ebay for $200. I expect delivery in about one month. I am sick of fake shanzai blurry faded black and white copies of everything.

Ivyman

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 04:42:53 AM »
@KeyserSore

I was simply being philosophical.

In my own perfect world in my head, all information would be free to every person in the world.

Rather, it was simply individual attention like teachers, service people, etc. that we should pay for.  That way, if we couldn't or wouldn't pay for people, we could still learn on our own.  I was just musing.