A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall... (THE VISA NIGHTMARE!)

• 545 replies

Monkey King

Re: A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall...
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2008, 08:13:16 PM »
Quote from: dgwest7
Does anyone know for sure whether a z visa can be obtained in Hong Kong?

What I've heard is that any visa currently needs to be applied for in your home country, and that these Hong Kong conversions are not possible at the moment.

http://oneeyedpanda.wordpress.com/2008/05/01/china-visa-update/

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2008, 02:59:08 PM »
A little update on the L visa.

I just got a double entry L in Hong Kong, each visit is for 30day max, so essentially it is good for 2 months.
For this you need an on-ward (out of HK to the mainland) flight ticket, i believe a train ticket will do and a hotel reservation. The visa agency can take care of this for you, if you don't have, for extra cash of course, 100hkd each.

There is no same day service anymore. The express service is applying in the morning and getting it back the following lunch time.

This all sucks though asasasasas as i need 1 year multiple entries. This will do for now as it got me back into the country but i think i'm off to the wifes hometown to grovel at the knees of the local PSB.

Wuhan anyone?? sorry, that should be another thread.
The future's so bright i gotta wear shades

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2008, 02:32:43 AM »
First off...I now have a visa. It's a Spouse Visa...which in turn is actually a 6-month L visa (NO WORK PERMIT!). Being married to a Chinese national is one of the very few ways left to get one of these. The tale of getting there is long, weird, and includes accounts of ineptitude, cruelty, and terrorism. aoaoaoaoao

Uh, the "terrorism" part was me. uuuuuuuuuu
Coming soon to a Saloon near you...

I'm damned lucky. I have survived. Again.
Were I not married to Typhoon Susan, right now I would be back in the Tulsa airport with only the clothes on my back, unresponsive and curled tightly in the fetal position.
With this, renewals are pretty much automatic in the future axaxaxaxax ...as long as I remain married. apapapapap
The Lord sure works in mysterious ways. bibibibibi

Meanwhile, I'm hearing things that are yet unconfirmed but definitely scary.
These include:

- No more visas of any kind (at least not any kind relevant to us) from Hong Kong/Macao. Applicants may be required to return to their home countries to apply.

- New work/residence permits, and some other such "long-term" visas, will not be issued for periods of not more than 3 months at a time.

Don't panic. No confirmation on these yet, and we all know how bullshit gets around. But we all gots homework to do...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 02:39:00 AM by Raoul Duke »
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2008, 04:57:33 AM »
Well, I am due to get my passport back tomorow from the PSB - hopefully I will have my new one year rez permit attached.

« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2008, 06:21:00 AM »
Ok, tricky question (or so) - I am going to go on dependent's visa (L) and they usually have to give it for as long as my husband's Z visa is valid for, but with residency. Does anyone know what change is in that department? or is it all same? Cause consulate in Russia said they give a visa without having to leave China every 30 days. 

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2008, 10:52:46 AM »
Marriage does alter some things, sometimes.
I know there had been provisions where if someone was entering for legal work-related residency, dependents were covered by that person's residence permit and everyone was keyed to the same dates. Might explore to see if something like that is possible, if the two of you step out of the country and then come back on his papers...

I used to have a fair knowledge of how a lot of these things worked.
Today...all bets are off. Everything we know is (probably) wrong. llllllllll

Are you officially retiring from teaching? cheexyblonde
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2008, 11:15:38 PM »
Got my passport back with a nice fresh 1 year rez permit now. I am happy. bfbfbfbfbf

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2008, 11:26:01 PM »
Congrats. You should be. agagagagag

« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2008, 12:11:07 AM »
Oh oh!!  This is in Dalian!! llllllllll  Message from our University.

Everyone,

Please carry a copy of these documents with you when you are outside your apartment:

* passport
    * visa
    * foreign expert certificate
    * residence permit (blue paper)

Last night some of our teachers and students were at McDonalds and a policeman demanded to see all of their passports. Since no one was carrying their passport, the policeman held one student hostage until everyone went home and returned with their passports. The policeman told them "If you are too scared to carry your passport, then go back to America."

If anyone finds themselves in this type of situation, please call ** immediately. I am sorry to those teachers who had to go through this situation.

Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2008, 12:23:16 AM »
The policeman told them "If you are too scared to carry your passport, then go back to America."
Smartarse copper!! An opportunity to bignote hisself!! asasasasas
At least your Uni responded well.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2008, 12:41:40 AM »
Wow, things really are getting heated in China.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2008, 01:41:15 AM »
Our school has posted -- in our offices and near the elevator by our apartments -- copies of a "Notice to Foreigners in Nanjing" that appears to come from someone in authority. though it does not say who. There are ten points. Here they are, slightly shortened and with some English correction:

1 Register anywhere you stay within 24 hours

2 If you're on a D, Z, X or J-1 visa, you should "go through residential formalities" within 30 days

3 If your visa is expiring, apply for an extension at the PSB

4 No foreigner should work without government permission

5 If you're over 16, carry your papers

6 If you have a dog, get it licensed

7 If you want a drivers license, see the traffic cops

8 If your papers are stolen or lost, see the PSB

9 If property is stolen, stay at the scene and call the PSB

10 "Foreigners shall strengthen their awareness of security and make sure to keep the property safely."
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 01:47:38 AM by Pashley »
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2008, 01:49:21 AM »
It IS heating. Bigtime.
I don't feel comfortable carrying my passport and permit/visa around all the time. It's just way too easy to lose it. My strategy has always been to take photocopies of my passport's front page and my current visa/permit, and carry them in my wallet. If pressed, I present these and offer to take them back to my home and get the originals. This usually seems to satisfy them...

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2008, 01:53:02 AM »
A friend in Fujian reports:

All is turning to shit for us here now. The govt. announced a 2 month continuous raid period of Fujian schools in an attempt to throw out all foreigners. Began 2 days ago.

The local PSB ... a 15 day extension of a visa one time ...you leave the country after that. Or a one month business visa with a single renewal.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2008, 02:08:08 AM »
Pashley, why would they do that if the foreigner is perfectly legal?? Very strange....

Well, I've been in constant touch with my new school, they've also been in touch with the PSB to check a few things for me, and NOTHING has been stated about a criminal check etc. And they said to just come at least a week early in August before my current res permit expires and we'll get onto it immediately.
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.