What ARE the numbers of covid deaths, anyway?

• 5 replies

AMonk

Moderation....in most things...

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

AMonk

Re: What ARE the numbers of covid deaths, anyway?
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 12:43:05 AM »
EL, that is a cool one!!  agagagagag
Moderation....in most things...

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 05:45:33 PM »
I kept zooming in on the maps.  If you keep going, it goes all the way down to streets and buildings.

The public version doesn't map cases at that level, but I'll bet local health departments have their own versions that let then put dots on the map for every case.
EscapedLunatic.com

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 09:23:05 PM »
Does anyone see any logic in these numbers? It's impossible to understand. WE have just over 3,000 in Israel. We had compulsory masks and distancing including masks outside. WE seem to have done worse than other similar sized countries. We have done worse than Cyprus and Taiwan.. I just don't get it.
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 07:18:42 PM »
No one thing controls it.  Masks help.  Frequent hand washing helps.  Social distancing helps.  But, all it takes is one superspreader event to turn one case into 100+ cases.

Another contributing factor has been called lockdown fatigue.  It's actually fatigue with all the precautions people are asked to take.  This tends to result in lower compliance with control recommendations and a lot of "I can let this slip by, just this once" kind of thinking.  This is one of the reasons why the 2nd wave during a rough flu outbreak is frequently worse than the first wave.

Add in the growing anti-science conspiracies encouraging people to ditch masks wherever possible and BS claims designed to frighten people away from being vaccinated, and containing the threat of this virus is going to take years instead of months. llllllllll

P.S.  Happy B-Day one day late Piglet!  cecececece

It's been a sucky year for birthdays (and a lot of other things).  I think we all need a double or triple strength party when things are better.
EscapedLunatic.com