Changchun New Oriental Institute

• 0 replies

Lenny

Changchun New Oriental Institute
« on: March 09, 2008, 03:24:54 AM »
Well I guess I will get yelled at  bibibibibi put a post in the wrong place.

I was hoping that someone could give a some information on Changchun New Oriental Institute. A friend of mine here wants me to teach on weekends for this school and before I even concider it I want this forums opinion (good or bad).

Thanks.
Lenny

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: Changchun New Oriental Institute
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 10:15:10 AM »
I don't know that specific school, but I know the company. It's a chain/franchise school, and like others in that category conditions can be different at every school...it's all a matter of luck-of-the-draw in how decent the owners and managers are. Which, in China, is not a particularly encouraging thing to say... bibibibibi

One hallmark of New Oriental seems to be a terribly rigid adherence to procedures, to the point of becoming a bit hidebound by them.
Example: I once did a demo for a New Oriental school. It was attended by the school manager, and 4-5 of the office staff ladies. Before my demo, they spent quite a large amount of time getting a PA system up and running. When the time came, the manager handed me a microphone. I HATE teaching with a mike, and after looking out at the 5 people in the room, all sitting on the front row, I politely declined with a "No, thank you, I don't really need that." "You must," replied the manager. "It's our regulation." So I took the mike and did the entire demo talking through a microphone to people 18 inches away from me.
There are many other examples. Not really bad, just totally by-the-book even if it kills everyone.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)