additional health insurance (subtitle are we insane to even be coming??)

• 9 replies

piglet

• Piglet's House
Hi,I did try to research this topic but the words only take me to job contracts promising me health insurance.Question is, is the cover offered by the schools normal at all? Are Chinese health practitioners REALLY as scary as they sound? And if so should we purchase additional cover at home before we leave /on arrival? The thing is that hubby has a few chronic issues that he takes prescription drugs for (which obviously we will bring with) such as diabetes,cholesterol,but since neither of us are spring chickens we have to look at possible eventualities.
Sorry question is so long,but I am beginning to panic  ananananan
Thanks all you wonderful saloonies
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

Ruth

Re: additional health insurance (subtitle are we insane to even be coming??)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 09:39:11 PM »
What the school provides won't be enough.  Many people will tell you to purchase additional insurance, especially the kind that can fly you out of the country to get real health care.  Probably good advice.  Do I follow it?  No.  Should I? Should you? It's a gamble that each person must decide for him or herself.

My husband and I are not spring chickens either.  We've been here 7 years.  I've had to see the doctor a few times for minor ailments, none of which were covered by the provided insurance.  However, the cost was relatively minor in the grand scheme of things.  For us, paying out of pocket is far more reasonable than the cost of monthly insurance would be.  Our "insurance" has been slowly accumulated in a bank account.  We had to dip into that significantly when my husband needed a major operation a few years ago.  Cost a lot, but still less than the accumulated insurance payments would have been.  My husband takes several medications that we also pay for out of pocket. Cheaper in China than the co-pay would be back home with insurance.  I think it's a calculated risk that must be made on an individual basis, weighing the costs versus the potential future.

Sorry, maybe not too helpful a response.  Can't tell you what to do, only sharing what I do.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 10:43:33 PM »
I've found that normal medical visits to the local hospital are relatively inexpensive and quite reasonable.

However, anything major you would probably want to leave the country.  That is going to be expensive.  Especially if you do not have coverage out of China.

I will give you some more worries .... make sure you have cash when you go to the hospital to see a doctor ... no money no doctor no service no treatment.
"A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for."  Grace Hopper

"Procrastination: Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now." Larry Kersten

old34

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 12:30:47 AM »
thank you one and all

Borkya

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 03:30:44 AM »
One other thing to think about is re-entry. I buy additional insurance but not because I'm so worried about my life (or health) here. In fact I am buying it for the eventual time I have to go back to america. I have my own business and need to buy my own insurance, so i have to make sure I have "continual coverage" by a US recognized health insurance company, otherwise I could be denied coverage when i get back.

It's about a thousand a year for me and my hubby, which definitely sucks, but I do feel good for the "just in case" situations, and I don't want any issues when I get back. (Although, I will admit this was pre-health insurance reform and I'm not sure if I still need to maintain continual coverage with the new health insurance laws in the US.)

BrandeX

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 03:45:00 AM »
I thought the end result of the reform was that companies can no longer deny coverage to applicants?

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 05:46:08 AM »
well thanks Borkya we don't have that issue cos we have universal health care over here, don't have to worry about return ,but do have to worry about being transferred out if anything happens

Borkya

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 04:43:31 PM »
I thought the end result of the reform was that companies can no longer deny coverage to applicants?

Well, they can no longer deny you for obvious things, like pre-existing condition, but for me they can deny it because of "break in service" (Or something like that it is called). I'm not sure if that has been changed, but maybe I'll look into it.

BrandeX

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 03:36:03 PM »
Ok, I missed the whole reform thing while over here, and only gave it a cursory glance when it was in the news.