Clothes dryer

• 7 replies
Clothes dryer
« on: November 27, 2010, 09:32:39 PM »
This is one luxury I've been contemplating more and more. I've never really dug hanging my clothes out to dry, especially as I now have no place to do it but in my bathroom (and the clothes get wet again when I shower). Further, in winter it can take days or weeks for clothes to dry. Sometimes one can't tell if they're still wet or just frozen.

So, has anyone broken down and bought a clothes dryer? How much is a decent one? Can anyone recommend a brand?

I imagine washing and drying clothes within a 2 hour framework, and NOT having to iron everything including my jeans because they are all wrinkled. And then, aaaah, the clothe swill be WARM too.
suddenly it become more of a statement to NOT have a tattoo…

Re: Clothes dryer
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 10:25:39 PM »
we splashed out on a Panasonic for 1200RMB on Taobao, and though it was expensive we've been using it constantly since. We even have a balcony, but there's so much dust in the air from the construction in our neighbourhood that things comes in off the line and you need to wash them again!

Our model is a NH2010TU, see if you can look that up.

There are much cheaper, smaller, domestic models too. Shop around. 
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 01:20:27 AM »
Ah, a dryer. How nice that would be...I actually had a dream that I was taking my clothes out of the dryer last month when I was totally stressed out about doing the laundry. I've adjusted some what since.

That was one of the biggest culture adjustments I've had to make since moving here.

BTW - Fozz, Do you need a special plug or outlet for one?

If they are around 1200 quai, I may just spring for one around Christmas time. I was going to buy a new phone, but a dryer would reduce the amount of stress I feel every time I look at that huge pile of laundry (or for that matter, whenever I think about doing the laundry, which is probably more often than I should.)

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 07:42:25 AM »
The only thing I have to add is that they are total power pigs.  Expect your electric bill to soar.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

mlaeux

• How's the water?
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 10:43:44 PM »
Yeah, "non-stop inconvenience" is right.  llllllllll

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 11:23:59 PM »
hey Mleaux,

we don't need anything special to plug it into, and our elec bills are round about normal, I think this is because we don't use it too much, it's a "power-saving" model, and we're also not air-conditioning our apartment anymore so it all kinda balances out...

well worth it in my view
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 11:48:19 PM »
Being in a climate that never ever freezes, "normal" clothes dryers seem to be very unusual here (didn't see any next to the washers when I was shopping for ine).  Instead, I've encountered these things that are like a bag inflated via something akin to a hair dryer.  Weird, but they do work.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

mlaeux

• How's the water?
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 06:15:11 PM »
Fozz - You sold me. I HAVE to have one before my hair falls out!  ahahahahah