Tv

• 460 replies
Re: Tv
« Reply #270 on: February 11, 2016, 11:20:41 PM »

More story per square minute than any show you care to name.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #271 on: February 26, 2016, 03:03:25 PM »
Chinese Censors Have Taken a Popular Gay Drama Offline

Online discussions garnered more than 110 million responses within a day of the show's cancelation

With its porcelain-faced young cast and tales of love, sex and family pressures, it is easy to see why the Chinese drama Addiction was such a runaway success. However, the hit online show, which features a predominately gay cast, was abruptly taken off the air this week, once again demonstrating the mainland Chinese authorities’ distinct discomfort regarding homosexuality.

The 15-part drama, which follows the lives of four gay high school students, has apparently been deemed unfit for viewing just three episodes before the first-season finale. The show’s producers, who have not given any official reason for why it was pulled, say it garnered 10 million views the day after its initial release. It was apparently the second most watched show on iQiyi, China’s leading commercial online film and television portal...

Reportedly the the second most-watched show on iQiyi. Is it any good?

« Reply #272 on: March 01, 2016, 03:31:14 AM »
I found The Good Wife surprisingly good.

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #273 on: March 03, 2016, 09:54:39 AM »
I found The Good Wife surprisingly good.

I agree. I 'discovered' it few months ago and have almost finished season 1 on CouchTuner (my hard drive is getting full of hundreds of hours of downloaded, but unwatched TV & movies).
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

« Reply #274 on: March 03, 2016, 06:08:54 PM »
Hap and Leonard (2016)

Hearing goodish things, and I know it premieres today, but haven't found it yet.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #275 on: March 04, 2016, 04:21:17 PM »

Hearing goodish things, and I know it premieres today, but haven't found it yet.

Hap and Leonard - Episode 1

« Reply #276 on: March 04, 2016, 04:40:07 PM »
Yes, that was a bit awful. Brr, anything less than 720p these days... I don't even

I didn't realize until watching that Leonard is Omar from The Wire (Michael K Williams), which is promising. But Hap is James Purefoy, who is... not Texan, which detracts from the presentation somewhat.

Anyway, the pilot is pleasant enough but lacks bite. Coming episodes appear to promise of mayhem, which would be good, but I have a sneaking suspicion this show exists because season 1 of True Detective did. By the end they even have a Old Guy Rust Cohle-style hippie, a scarfaced mean guy, and a biker hangout.

« Reply #277 on: March 09, 2016, 06:46:30 PM »
American:

Unfortunately, I have to agree about The Good Wife. I didn't want to like another law procedural. Being a completist, I didn't want to face a seven season back catalogue. But the fact is, season 1 is good from the beginning and even improves. And Julianna Margulies has a great voice.

Meanwhile, Better Call Saul continues good. Season 2 is building on season 1 and maturing into the stuff of Breaking Bad legend.

The Walking Dead is all over the place. Their episodes vary from week to week. One week will be tense and horrifying, and good. Another week will be episodic and almost beside the point. They're good either way but I do prefer it when they turn the screws.

I was pretty hot for The Magicians because the first episode was very cool. The rest of the episodes are not bad but I have cooled somewhat.

Hap and Leonard is a bit meh. Probably missable.

British:

Happy Valley continues excellent.

« Reply #278 on: March 19, 2016, 04:55:42 PM »
Ladies and Gentlemen...

How do you watch your video? What format? Since I discovered it, I'm down for 720p wherever possible. You can see pores. Once you've seen your character's pores, you can't watch lower resolutions again. ("720p"means that hi-def format which has 720 horizontal lines.) My monitor can cope with 1080p but for one 45-minute episode of some show, a 720p encode is 1Gb in file size already so....

Watching old shows can be painful because of this. For eg, old Xena episodes where never encoded for anything other than crappy broadcast and that's exactly what they look like. No pores anywhere. So little definition indeed one might not even see nostrils.

Just curious,

Also, Daredevil.

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #279 on: April 18, 2016, 12:57:02 PM »
Fargo

I loved season 1... and season 2... until the last two episodes when the weird got ridiculous - flying saucer? WTF? - and the worst 'ending' since The Sopranos. I want to strangle Adam Arkin!
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

« Reply #280 on: April 18, 2016, 03:11:52 PM »

Imperfect, and who really gives a damn about revenants, but in the second episode where she tries out various guns she's like Buffy meets Ash Williams. This is - almost - the Evil Dead tv show we should have had.

« Reply #281 on: May 14, 2016, 07:38:06 PM »
A quick recomendation, because it's the kind of thing that can be easily missed.

Upstart Crow

Basically it's like Blackadder (written by Ben Elton) but about the life of Shakespeare.

Now I wouldn't watch it because of this description, (even though I liked Blackadder at the time). These attempts to recreate past glories never work. The thing is that it's really good. Episode 1 is available for streaming.

« Reply #282 on: June 07, 2016, 02:29:44 PM »
Is it just me or has Game of Thrones turned into some other tv show? Season six has an almost Brady Bunch vibe.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #283 on: June 07, 2016, 03:06:40 PM »
Is it just me or has Game of Thrones turned into some other tv show? Season six has an almost Brady Bunch vibe.

Maybe it's deliberate.  Let the audience relax, thinking everyone's now a big happy family - and then let the incest and murder begin. uuuuuuuuuu
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #284 on: June 08, 2016, 04:49:17 AM »

I'm enjoying this season so far.. maybe it's due to the fact that for the first time in 6 years, i have no idea what will happen.
I read the books so many times that it used to be a guessing game as far as what they would do and what they would not do; now, i'm more relaxed about it.
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com