Regulations concerning Chinese renting a car in the States

• 8 replies

babala

Regulations concerning Chinese renting a car in the States
« on: April 25, 2007, 06:52:44 PM »
I have a student who will be going to the US over the May holiday and he wants me to help him with the info of car rental. He said he looked it up on the net and even though he doesn't have a international license that it is allowed, but he needs info on things like insurance and what documentation he will need.I have never even rented a car in Canada. Can anyone help me out?
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson

Re: Regulations concerning Chinese renting a car in the States
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 07:29:13 PM »
I thought an international license would be a must?
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 09:01:01 PM »
Contact AVIS etc online and ask them.  I also think he must have a driver's licence.  Insurance is mandatory for car rentals.  They tell you the cost when you rent.  He will need a credit card to rent - cash won't cut it.
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

babala

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 10:27:45 PM »
I've been trying to look up info on the net (I did check out AVIS). The way they worded it was that international driver's licences must also be accompanied by the original licence so does that imply that you would need an int'l licence? It makes no sense that China would have stricter driver's regulations that the States aaaaaaaaaa
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 11:48:40 PM »
I would interpret that to mean International plus China licence.
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 12:12:33 AM »
Since virtually no Chinese people have credit cards, this will probably be impossible for him, won't it?
It is too early to say.

icebear

• ????
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 01:44:58 AM »
Since virtually no Chinese people have credit cards, this will probably be impossible for him, won't it?

Let's not paint too broadly here. I thought the same thing and commented so in the past, only to be scolded by my finance friends here. They may be a mere myth outside of the cities, but CC are readily available to most civilized city folk.

This guy is taking a trip to the states, and wanting to rent a car, so he likely has some serious kuai to drop. Or more likely his parents do. Thus putting them in the civilized category.

Regarding the license - I've heard the test here is actually much harder, and more expensive, than the test back home. Luckily for most drivers here (read: wealthy folks) a passing grade can be purchased. Supposedly in SZ you pay for the test, and since its all in Chinese a translator does it for you. But actually gives you a perfect score, ignoring your answers  bfbfbfbfbf

But yes, what was reported as necessary (a valid license for starters) is accurate. A passport as well, but he'll undoubtedly have that.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 01:49:16 AM by icebear »

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 02:35:12 AM »
Many Chinese credit cards don't work outside the PRC, I am told. They have them, but something to do with China Bank and regulation of money in and out of hte country.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 03:07:03 PM »
All the major banks offer international credit cards that can be used worldwide - I wouldn't worry about that aspect too much, spending money is usually made pretty easy.

Most everyon here in Dongguan who is employed has a credit card. They are gaining in popularity very quickly.

Contacting one of the rental companies is the best course of action.
You have to care for it to matter.
http://www.haerbinger.com - All About Harbin

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 03:17:21 PM »
My information is several years old, but accurate at that time. Things may have changed. The credit cards were exactly the same, but couldn't access money outside of China.

There are debit cards, though, where you need to deposit a lot. These work exactly the same as credit cards, look like them, but aren't credit.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.