What Are You Reading??

• 1074 replies
Re: What Are You Reading??
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2007, 11:39:33 PM »
You're my kinda girl AMonk, nothing like a good western story and L'Amour is a favourite. He wrote a ripping yarn (not a western, though) about an American Indian US Fighter Pilot shot down over Russia who escapes and runs through Siberia. I forget the name but it was a book I read every year or so...
You have to care for it to matter.
http://www.haerbinger.com - All About Harbin

AMonk

« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2007, 12:10:51 AM »
Last of the Breed - an Excellent read!!  And I loved the way he started at the end of the story, then went back to tell the tale, before giving me a "cliffhanger" to finish..?...
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 12:17:58 AM by AMonk »
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2007, 12:53:42 AM »
Deer And The Cauldron Book 1 - Louis Cha, just started it, wonderful so far!

I also dug through some essays about the Trojan War by Eric Cline on the internet.  I guess the Iliad is still haunting my mind. 

The things we touch have no permanence.

The Clan

• The Clan....hence the name.
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2007, 02:30:01 PM »
HP done. Good stuff still wanted more stuff details and things. Excellent book sad to see the end. Sorry you had it spoiled.
GO BIG - OR GO HOME!!

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2007, 06:33:11 PM »
What I am reading is so pathetic that I can't even remember it's name ... and I don't even want to go to the reading room (aka - can) to find out what it is called.  It is something about the universe and strange species that live for megathousands of years and who get on each others nerves usually by being overly polite - sheesh, it sounds like a retirement home in Canada!
“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)

« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2007, 07:31:55 PM »
The only book I've read lately that I'd recommend is Carter Beats the Devil.  It was in a book place in Baijing, and I've since seen it here in Canada, so it's becoming popular.  Actors must be fighting over the script as we speak.

I went to a place in Beijing called Bookworm: a library married a restaurant.  There were THOUSANDS of books on the shelves- I could end up losing my personal life to a place like that...

And may: they're opening a branch in Suzhou!
axaxaxaxax axaxaxaxax axaxaxaxax axaxaxaxax axaxaxaxax axaxaxaxax axaxaxaxax axaxaxaxax axaxaxaxax axaxaxaxax axaxaxaxax axaxaxaxax axaxaxaxax axaxaxaxax axaxaxaxax axaxaxaxax axaxaxaxax axaxaxaxax axaxaxaxax axaxaxaxax axaxaxaxax axaxaxaxax axaxaxaxax axaxaxaxax axaxaxaxax axaxaxaxax axaxaxaxax axaxaxaxax
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2007, 04:08:46 AM »
Lonely Planet T.

AMonk

« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2007, 12:38:00 AM »
Finished the Sackett family stories (Louis L'Amour), HP (finally arrived!) and a couple of others, now re-starting Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar books.

p.s. Pratchett has a new one due out fairly soon, about the Treasury (and Mint) in Ankh-Morpork.  It's on my 'Pre-Order' list at Amazon.
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2007, 12:48:54 AM »
Yep, Pratchett's latest "Making Money" is due September 24th. I might be able to pick up a copy in Canada to read on the flight home. Whopeee bfbfbfbfbf

Just finished reading Christopher Moore's "Lamb: the gospel according to Jesus' best childhood pal Biff". Hilarious and highly recommendable.

Have now started Samuel Butler's "Erewhon" and "Osman's Dream".
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

belrain

• In past travelling, now becoming Shanghai resident
    • My homepage
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2007, 01:03:52 AM »
A new Disc World Novel?  bfbfbfbfbf agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag

I just started reading "Das verbotene Land" in english probably "Forbidden Land" by Margaret Weis. Cool stuff bfbfbfbfbf
cdcdcdcdcd Das Leben ist schön

« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2007, 01:11:36 AM »
Finished David Gemmel's Bloodstone featuring the uber cool Gunslinger knockoff Jon Shannow, the Jerusalem Man.

Rereading Iliad for writing research.

Now reading book of 1 Arturo Perez-Reverte's series Captain Alatriste which is awesome! Basically a Spanish 1 musketeer type thing, it's great. 

On a somewhat related note, anyone ever had an idea for a Saloonie library?  Maybe checking books out by mail or something? 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 01:13:23 AM by limubai2000 »
The things we touch have no permanence.

Newbs

« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2007, 10:26:53 AM »
Just finished "Life and times of the Thunderbolt Kid" by Bill Bryson.  First half was really great, at times I laughed so much people nearby started to move away and hide the sharp objects.  Second half it tapered off a bit but still a damn good read.  Recommended if you haven't read it yet.  It seemed, to me, to really show what it must have been like living in nice, white, middle class America in the '50s.

« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2007, 10:41:07 AM »
Discovered a large, hidden used bookstore down some alley in Copenhagen. Bought the entire Flashman series. If you ever want to brush up on your 19th Century British history and have fun while doing it, Flashman is a good choice.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2007, 11:03:46 AM »
Second that!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

solongtinik

• tryin to complete my life's journey
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2007, 03:47:02 PM »
finished "black order"

and

"who moved my cheese" good read!
if he does not struggle against what is wrong-even if it seems beyond his strength-he will bever find the right road