"Someone else is logged onto your computer"

• 7 replies
"Someone else is logged onto your computer"
« on: May 03, 2009, 01:36:47 AM »
One of my fellow teachers has a problem I hope you can help with.

About 2 months ago they had a problem with a message on their computer saying that somebody else was logged onto their computer.  They called the school technician and he came over and did something and the problem went away.

They moved to a new apartment shortly after that and have had no problems until a few days ago when they got the same message on their computer.  The technician is on holiday and they are afraid to have their computer turned on.   llllllllll

They have cable access and a wireless router. 

Does anybody know what the problem is?  Does anybody know how to solve the problem and keep it from happening again?   mmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmm

I will forward any advice to them.
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
Re: "Someone else is logged onto your computer"
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 02:25:50 AM »
The techie fellas here will be more clued than I am, but from my understanding someone else is using the IP address they are using.  Doesn't mean that anyone is accessing their info - just someone has the same 'space' in the server.  They can change the last couple of numbers in the IP address (which is probably what the techie guy did) and they'll be fine again.  Our server has a group of final numbers and we can use any of them to connect, so sometimes when one of the foreign students can't log in, he will change numbers and end up using mine - so I just swap my number and the message goes away.

JShep

• The States - An Informative and Satirical Guide to the United States of America
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 06:45:22 PM »
Does anybody know what the problem is?  Does anybody know how to solve the problem and keep it from happening again?

It sounds like the message when attempting to shut down or restart Windows while other user accounts are still logged in.

If so, it's not a problem. Just a matter of logging in and logging out.
Providing the exact error message and when it occurs may change my assessment.

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 07:50:21 PM »

more often than not, that happens when:

1- There is a second user account on the computer and it's got active programs

2- somebody is connected to their shared itunes library

alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 10:00:32 PM »
The techie fellas here will be more clued than I am, but from my understanding someone else is using the IP address they are using.  Doesn't mean that anyone is accessing their info - just someone has the same 'space' in the server.  They can change the last couple of numbers in the IP address (which is probably what the techie guy did) and they'll be fine again.  Our server has a group of final numbers and we can use any of them to connect, so sometimes when one of the foreign students can't log in, he will change numbers and end up using mine - so I just swap my number and the message goes away.

This is common.

If you leave your computer on once it has established a connection it should be ok.

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 11:30:23 PM »
It isn't me so I can't give exact information.

They have been keeping their computer turned off which means they miss Skype calls from their daughter. 

I doubt there is a second user account on the computer as it is at their home and they are a married couple.  I doubt they use Itunes but I can ask when they get back from holiday.
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

JShep

• The States - An Informative and Satirical Guide to the United States of America
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 06:45:18 AM »
Whatever the issue is, it doesn't sound like it should prevent them from using the PC normally. Skype calls from daughter should be taken without paranoia.

друг всего мира

• Видна из Кремля вся советская земля
    • Russian Club Shanghai
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 04:25:42 PM »
If you are using XP or Vista, please read what follows.

Your XP or Vista set up probably has both an "administrator" and a "user" set-up. If you did not do your own install, then almost-for-sure there is an "administrator" and  "user" set up.  For whatever reason, the Chinese techies set up computers this way.  And then they set it up so that the "administrator" and "user" set-up can run simultaneously in such a manner so that it is not evident to you.

In some nefarious cases, the "Administrator" can actually log the comings-and-goings of the "user".

There are several work-arounds here, none of which require a techie. First, go into your control panel, users and accounts.  Check to see how many accounts are enabled on your computer.  That will give you the first answer.

You could delete your own account and just run with the administrator account but in so doing, you would loose all of your own files, your personalisations, etc,. etc.

Easier than that, however, is to go to the parallel software market.  Buy yourself a "local" copy of Windows XP or Vista in English (readily available everywhere).  Then go home.  Back up all of your own files to your online email account.  Then pop in the XP or Vista and do a clean, yes, clean install.  That will get rid of the administrator, any spyware, tracking ware, etc, etc.  If you are not savvy enough, find one of your FT friends to do it because if you ask the local Chinese school techie, I can guarantee you that you will be "double-accounted" again.

Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Дурака учить - что мёртвого лечить.